70-200 vs 24-70

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so let me propose this offer to everyone because I just want honest feedback. I'm a firm believer of upgrading lens before bodies.

So my question is with my current set up what would you upgrade to next?
The nikons 70-200 vrII OR 24-70

Mind you I want to shoot a lot of sports and portraits but I would find the wide angle useful for landscapes and vacation trips. But would it make sense to scrape the 80-200 2.8 AF-D to buy the 70-200 or would it be smarter to guy the WA. I would love to get the 70-200 but wouldn't want to regret anything. I am using a nikon d7000

Once again this isn't this week or next week decision I'm just tryin to get a feel for the idea of what's my next upgrade. Any ideas or opinions would be lovely.

Both rock, buy them both!
rocker.gif
rocker.gif

College budget. I was thinking about the 70-200 because my desire to get more into sports and portraits, and the 80-200 could sell for a decent $750. Possibly.

and not to be rude, but I've been seeing 70-200 vrii all over for 1,800 haven't seen much lower. Is it ignorant to buy one for an extra 200 bucks knowing it's perfectly new? For me unless I'd save like 300-400 I'd probably just buy new. especially with the 300 dollars off already!

and not to be rude, but I've been seeing 70-200 vrii all over for 1,800 haven't seen much lower. Is it ignorant to buy one for an extra 200 bucks knowing it's perfectly new? For me unless I'd save like 300-400 I'd probably just buy new. especially with the 300 dollars off already!

These lenses don't lose their value. I bought mine new for the same reason, used the price difference was negligible

I haven't seen much of these things on sale for the price you couldn't resist... hmm I do got till march 2nd to pull the trigger.

On a cropped sensor like the d7000, 24-70 will not really be 'wide'. I would get the 17-55 instead.

That said, the answer to your subject just depends on what you will be shooting most. Near or far. Only you can answer that.

Depends which focal range you shoot most in. I picked the 24-70 to replace my 18-55 because it was the weakest compared to the Tamron 70-300 SP.

Both are great lens and you should be happy with either.

On a cropped sensor like the d7000, 24-70 will not really be 'wide'. I would get the 17-55 instead.

That said, the answer to your subject just depends on what you will be shooting most. Near or far. Only you can answer that.

I enjoy the 24-70 on my back-up D7000 and D80. I use the 70 end more than the wide end too

Have you looked into the New 70-200 F/4 VR? It has the newest 3rd generation VR technology and said to be better than the 2.8 (VR that is). And it also suppose to get you an extra 5 stops of vibration compensation. It's also Nano Coated and even lighter than the 2.8 version AND it's WAY CHEAPER.

The 24-70 is better than the 70-200 at the 50mm focal length but the 70-200 is better than the 24-70 at 100mm

Have you looked into the New 70-200 F/4 VR? It has the newest 3rd generation VR technology and said to be better than the 2.8 (VR that is). And it also suppose to get you an extra 5 stops of vibration compensation. It's also Nano Coated and even lighter than the 2.8 version AND it's WAY CHEAPER.

yeah, but in low light (events/weddings/etc) I constantly push my ISO and a lens has to deliver as wide an aperture hole as possible. Blah @ second best products although yes much much cheaper /consumer grade pricing
icononethumbup.gif

There are close peers to the 24-70. Really pretty close, I use a Tokina 28-80 f2.8 and when used properly (read that tripod) I really couldn't use better results on my D800.

The 70-200 VRll however is the complete package. I use mine a lot with a 1.7 TCE and I get near instant focus all the way to +500mm (TCE + DX mode @ 200mm). I haven't tried shooting that combo in the dark But from twilight up it's great.

Nikon will have to add VR sometime to the 24-70, so its going to get outdated at some point... all they can do to the 70-200 is upgrade the VR.. and you don't need VR for sports! Justify the 70-200 now by just saying you'll wait for the new 24-70 :)

I am biased because the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 hardly leaves my D7000.

I was in the same situation when I was in college. I went with the 70-200mm first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back