Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 NON OS

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 NON VC

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
I would probably go for the Canon 70-200m f/2.8 L IS because it would be more in my price range probably. I would also look at other companies that aren't canon that would still work on my canon body.

AT the moment i'm thinking Sigma non OS or Canon 2.8L NON IS but the $500 difference it's killing me since i need a Speedlite too! (remember i just recently switched to canon)

Take the Tamron. Real decent lens for not a lot of money. If you would be using it daily I would say Canon, because the "feel" better and have things like image stabilizer and DPP can correct for the distortion automatically.
But I have a Tamron which I really don't use daily (weekly at most) and am very happy with!

I voted for the 2.8 L II IS, because it is the best lens on that list.

Now I see that it was never even a real option. Which other lenses on that list do you not intend on buying?

Out of all the lenses on that list, how many are inside your budget?

To Be Honest 2.8L IS II Is an Option; but after some though after the poll was out I Said this is going to be a 'second' lens that i wont use THAT often, and to Spend 2.2k on it Blew my Mind; of course i Know it's the Best option yet it's too much!

As i said earlier the choices i'm considering are "Sigma 2.8 NON OS or Canon 2.8L NON IS but the $500 difference it's killing me since i need a Speedlite too!"

I would still go with the Canon one... I've just never fully trusted 3rd party lenses...

While I've never used one personally, Ive read that it's definately got issues. You save a lot of money, but its nowhere near the quality of the Canon L's.

Plus "You should know that there are potential issues when using a lens made by a manufacturer other than the camera body manufacturer. Since Sigma reverse engineers (vs. licenses) manufacturer AF routines (except for their own bodies), the possibility exists that a new body might not support an older third party lens. Though not common, this has happened. Sometimes a lens can be rechipped to be made compatible, sometimes not. Again unusual is the situation where the lens and body manufacturers place fault on each other for a problem. To its advantage is Sigma USA's 4-year warranty - it is far superior to Canon's standard 1 year warranty. The risk is probably low, but you should figure this into your purchase decision."

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II Macro Lens Review

If your budget allows, the new 2.8 IS II is probably the best 70-200 currently available for any camera.

Also, there is no non-IS mkII (your option of "Canon 70-200m f/2.8 L II").

I currently own and shoot the 70-200 f/2.8 L non IS and love this lens!!! It is very fast and even though the IS is amazing (plan on upgrading in near future) the non IS does a great job a capturing sharp images. I didn't plan on shooting it that much either however I find many reasons to keep it on my camera body! I think you will as well once you have this awesome lens in your arsenal. I have I really enjoyed the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and like that it offers macro even though focusing isn't as close as I would like for a macro, it does give you a different spin and is a work-horse of a lens. If you can afford CANON 70-200 IS or non IS f/2.8L it is worth going CANON, I have shot all 3 70-200's mentioned.

This is so hard Man! and i'm rushing to this now cause i have an opportunity to shoot at the 'xxi central american and caribbean sports games' it's like the Olympics and they start in 9 days :( !!!

Spend a few bucks to rent 2.8 IS II. There are several online rental places if there are no local shops that do rentals. Depending on the sport, 200mm might be too short too. I know next time I do a drifting event, I'm going to rent a 300 2.8.

I rather Spend $100-$140 on a final buy than a rent ; since this is going to be voluntary work Although I Get to Keep All My Photos; Also their Mostly Contact Sports And Since I'll Be Working Directly as Staff I Can pretty Much Get Into the Action!

Some places (like George's Camera near me) offer rental incentives. Like if you rent a lens there, whatever you paid to rent it would be taken off the final price if you decided to buy it. I don't know if other stores have similar policies though. Plus, depending on rates and how long you need it, its not that expensive. I rented a 70-200 2.8 IS mkI last November for a nightime high school football game and it was 40$ for 3 days (pick up friday after 4, due back sunday by 4).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back