7D and Wireless Flash Question

I think I'll insert my editorial comments where need be. You're the one asking for help, after all. You could have read the manual to find the same information you were asking for.

You have an essentially free wireless flash system. I don't get why that's a burden to you...? Is it a burden because you don't want to learn how to use it?

Sure you don't get HSS, but if you're in a studio environment, it doesn't really matter. Your lighting is controlled as it is. The popup flash can be set to not contribute to the exposure.

If you really need HSS and TTL flash, look at the Pixel King TTL triggers. I have them and have used them quite extensively. I could give you a full review.

I have only shot cameras without a popup flash for the past few years, but I can guarantee you with a little bit of time with a 7D, T3i, or 60D, that I could setup and fire a Canon TTL flash without looking at the manual. It's not tough, and it's not "noobish" to do.

I suppose if you're not tech savvy enough to understand the wireless flash system, that's one thing. If you prefer DIP switches and manual flash, go to the Cactus Triggers. They don't come with the camera body you purchased though, like the wireless flash system. You can always RTFM, which explains the whole thing.

I think I'll insert my editorial comments where need be. You're the one asking for help, after all. You could have read the manual to find the same information you were asking for.

You have an essentially free wireless flash system. I don't get why that's a burden to you...? Is it a burden because you don't want to learn how to use it?

Sure you don't get HSS, but if you're in a studio environment, it doesn't really matter. Your lighting is controlled as it is. The popup flash can be set to not contribute to the exposure.

If you really need HSS and TTL flash, look at the Pixel King TTL triggers. I have them and have used them quite extensively. I could give you a full review.

I have only shot cameras without a popup flash for the past few years, but I can guarantee you with a little bit of time with a 7D, T3i, or 60D, that I could setup and fire a Canon TTL flash without looking at the manual. It's not tough, and it's not "noobish" to do.

I suppose if you're not tech savvy enough to understand the wireless flash system, that's one thing. If you prefer DIP switches and manual flash, go to the Cactus Triggers. They don't come with the camera body you purchased though, like the wireless flash system. You can always RTFM, which explains the whole thing.

Dude...I RTFM... its clear as mud....this isn't my first rodeo.

Try youtube? You must be one of them old fashioned folks. :lmao:

This should spell it all out in plain English.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool story bro.

Cool story bro.

Thanks. My post actually had information in it.

I know plenty of people that have used Nikon's CLS and Canon's wireless flash system to great effect. It does work, it's not impractical.

Cool story bro.

Thanks. My post actually had information in it.

I know plenty of people that have used Nikon's CLS and Canon's wireless flash system to great effect. It does work, it's not impractical.

Anyone else smell vinegar and water in here?

Anyone else smell why it's not necessary to eliminate the popup flash?

Because it's not. It works quite well, and doesn't contribute to the exposure.

#richwhiteboyproblems

GeorgieGirl, if you tell me specifically why you don't want your popup flash to trigger your external speedlights, I may be able to point you in the right direction of flash triggers for your needs. Otherwise, I just can't see the issue, other than the fact that you don't like the popup flash that doesn't contribute to the exposure... Which to me, personally, would not be reason enough to buy TTL triggers.

I'm really trying to understand, and as a 5D/5DMK2 user with no popup flash or wireless flash system other than the high priced TTL triggers I own, why you would not want to use the system built into your camera.

That's all. Maybe that's where the animosity came from. Because the popup flash (to me) would be insignificant (especially if it didn't contribute to the frame exposure).

Tyler, The only thing you've stated is that you personally don't see the reason to eliminate the pop up flash and that third parties have told you about their experience with the 7D wireless operation. So, no you didn't provide information, you provided heresy in a condescending tone.

No high speed synch, the annoyance of adjusting each piece of lighting at the stand, vice doing it right there at the camera and the occasional "red eye" due to the pop up flash being straight on with the subject get's annoying. It also just so happens to make the whole process impractical. I use the 7D and and can speak from my own experience about it's performance.

Tyler, The only thing you've stated is that you personally don't see the reason to eliminate the pop up flash and that third parties have told you about their experience with the 7D wireless operation. So, no you didn't provide information, you provided heresy in a condescending tone.

No high speed synch, the annoyance of adjusting each piece of lighting at the stand, vice doing it right there at the camera and the occasional "red eye" due to the pop up flash being straight on with the subject get's annoying. It also just so happens to make the whole process impractical. I use the 7D and and can speak from my own experience about it's performance.

Uh, I'm pretty sure I am watching a video where you can control the flash exposure compensation in TTL mode on the camera itself. You do not need to go to the light stand to set flash compensation. You can set grouping, and FEC.

If you're getting red-eye in your photos, have your subject close their eyes before the exposure, and tell them to open them on the count of 3.

I just find it funny that people are whining and complaining about a built in feature of the camera that numerous people have been using to great effect. Just because one doesn't understand it doesn't render it impractical. It's very possible that you just don't understand enough about TTL flash and light placement. And that's perfectly okay. Digital photography is a great medium to make mistakes and learn in.

If Georgiegirl really can't get over the fact that her flashes work as optical slaves, then she should get PocketWizards or Pixel King TTL transmitters. There's no other way to get TTL flash, grouping, and FEC on the camera.

Otherwise you're going to be adjusting lights "at the stand" as you said, EINGERSON.

If you don't like my tone, try out the ignore feature.

Uh, I'm pretty sure I am watching a video where you can control the flash exposure compensation in TTL mode on the camera itself. You do not need to go to the light stand to set flash compensation. You can set grouping, and FEC.

If you're getting red-eye in your photos, have your subject close their eyes before the exposure, and tell them to open them on the count of 3.

I just find it funny that people are whining and complaining about a built in feature of the camera that numerous people have been using to great effect. Just because one doesn't understand it doesn't render it impractical. It's very possible that you just don't understand enough about TTL flash and light placement. And that's perfectly okay. Digital photography is a great medium to make mistakes and learn in.

If Georgiegirl really can't get over the fact that her flashes work as optical slaves, then she should get PocketWizards or Pixel King TTL transmitters. There's no other way to get TTL flash, grouping, and FEC on the camera.

Otherwise you're going to be adjusting lights "at the stand" as you said, EINGERSON.

If you don't like my tone, try out the ignore feature.

No need to ignore, unless you're going to keep yelling my name. I think you referenced in another thread where the capslock button is. The shift button is right below it, take your finger off it.

Thanks for the tip on the red eye, I'll give it a shot. How, again, is it whining to have a personal preference not to like the pop up flash triggering other lighting?

How, again, is it whining to have a personal preference not to like the pop up flash triggering other lighting?

Usually personal preference comes with reason, reason comes with logic.

Logically, what is wrong with the popup flash firing if it's not contributing to the exposure? That's all I am asking.

How, again, is it whining to have a personal preference not to like the pop up flash triggering other lighting?

Logically, what is wrong with the popup flash firing if it's not contributing to the exposure? That's all I am asking.

As true as that is, it's irrelevant because I don't own the triggers and receivers to compare for myself. That's the knowledge I lack. So, until I have that experience, the pop up flash will bother me. That, and the fact that it doesn't high speed synch. That sucks shooting motocross in southern California.

As true as that is, it's irrelevant because I don't own the triggers and receivers to compare for myself. That's the knowledge I lack. So, until I have that experience, the pop up flash will bother me. That, and the fact that it doesn't high speed synch. That sucks shooting motocross in southern California.

It's not irrelevant, because most sports shooters wouldn't invest in ETTL/HSS triggers to shoot sports; while it very well may have its applications... I'm not denying that. It's just not usually convenient or safe to have speedlights setup off camera at sporting events unless you have an assistant to watch them. Expect to shell out $150+ if HSS is what you desire in a trigger setup. It's a tall order to shoot action sports with Nikon's CLS or Canon's wireless flash system, that's a given. That doesn't mean that it's useless. It's useless for YOUR needs, yes. That's for certain. It's not just a marketing ploy however, there is practicality behind it, whether you use it for such or not.

As I've stated before, tons of people use it and do great things with it. It definitely is dependent on what you shoot, however.

It's not irrelevant, because most sports shooters wouldn't invest in ETTL/HSS triggers to shoot sports; while it very well may have its applications... I'm not denying that. It's just not usually convenient or safe to have speedlights setup off camera at sporting events unless you have an assistant to watch them. Expect to shell out $150+ if HSS is what you desire in a trigger setup. It's a tall order to shoot action sports with Nikon's CLS or Canon's wireless flash system, that's a given. That doesn't mean that it's useless. It's useless for YOUR needs, yes. That's for certain. It's not just a marketing ploy however, there is practicality behind it, whether you use it for such or not.

As I've stated before, tons of people use it and do great things with it. It definitely is dependent on what you shoot, however.

You're absolutely right about the convenience. 99.9 times out of 100 it's useless in application. but I've been in multiple situations where "the shot" required it. The 7D's flash is all but useless to trigger a speedlight in mid day sun. As far as safety? having a flash setup on the side of a jump or the inside of a corner is not going to interfere with the riders or the safety crew (if they have them) at a motocross track.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back