7D and Wireless Flash Question

As true as that is, it's irrelevant because I don't own the triggers and receivers to compare for myself. That's the knowledge I lack. So, until I have that experience, the pop up flash will bother me. That, and the fact that it doesn't high speed synch. That sucks shooting motocross in southern California.

It's not irrelevant, because most sports shooters wouldn't invest in ETTL/HSS triggers to shoot sports; while it very well may have its applications... I'm not denying that. It's just not usually convenient or safe to have speedlights setup off camera at sporting events unless you have an assistant to watch them. Expect to shell out $150+ if HSS is what you desire in a trigger setup. It's a tall order to shoot action sports with Nikon's CLS or Canon's wireless flash system, that's a given. That doesn't mean that it's useless. It's useless for YOUR needs, yes. That's for certain. It's not just a marketing ploy however, there is practicality behind it, whether you use it for such or not.

As I've stated before, tons of people use it and do great things with it. It definitely is dependent on what you shoot, however.

You're absolutely right about the convenience. 99.9 times out of 100 it's useless in application. but I've been in multiple situations where "the shot" required it. The 7D's flash is all but useless to trigger a speedlight in mid day sun. As far as safety? having a flash setup on the side of a jump or the inside of a corner is not going to interfere with the riders or the safety crew (if they have them) at a motocross track.

It's not the motocross riders or safety crew I'd be worried about. If it were set up a distance away from where I were shooting, I'd worry about theft.

It's not irrelevant, because most sports shooters wouldn't invest in ETTL/HSS triggers to shoot sports; while it very well may have its applications... I'm not denying that. It's just not usually convenient or safe to have speedlights setup off camera at sporting events unless you have an assistant to watch them. Expect to shell out $150+ if HSS is what you desire in a trigger setup. It's a tall order to shoot action sports with Nikon's CLS or Canon's wireless flash system, that's a given. That doesn't mean that it's useless. It's useless for YOUR needs, yes. That's for certain. It's not just a marketing ploy however, there is practicality behind it, whether you use it for such or not.

As I've stated before, tons of people use it and do great things with it. It definitely is dependent on what you shoot, however.

You're absolutely right about the convenience. 99.9 times out of 100 it's useless in application. but I've been in multiple situations where "the shot" required it. The 7D's flash is all but useless to trigger a speedlight in mid day sun. As far as safety? having a flash setup on the side of a jump or the inside of a corner is not going to interfere with the riders or the safety crew (if they have them) at a motocross track.

It's not the motocross riders or safety crew I'd be worried about. If it were set up a distance away from where I were shooting, I'd worry about theft.

LOL, thieves at a motocross track aren't going to go after $200-500 worth of gear in plain view of everyone out on the track. They'll go for the $3,000-10,000 bikes that get left unattended while taking a piss. Especially being this close to Mexico.

LOL, thieves at a motocross track aren't going to go after $200-500 worth of gear in plain view of everyone out on the track. They'll go for the $3,000-10,000 bikes that get left unattended while taking a piss. Especially being this close to Mexico.

Well, if you say so... 200-500 bucks in this economy would be a good grab off the top of a lightstand.

Don't say I didn't warn you. It's happened to friends of mine at other sporting events. Speedlight stolen, camera bag walked off with. I keep my gear on a close leash, or have an assistant (my girlfriend) with a second pair of eyes on it.

Just trying to give you fair warning, anything can happen. Losing gear sucks, but it's your gear to lose.

Well, if you say so... 200-500 bucks in this economy would be a good grab off the top of a lightstand.

Don't say I didn't warn you. It's happened to friends of mine at other sporting events. Speedlight stolen, camera bag walked off with. I keep my gear on a close leash, or have an assistant (my girlfriend) with a second pair of eyes on it.

Just trying to give you fair warning, anything can happen. Losing gear sucks, but it's your gear to lose.

I'll consider myself warned....and buzzed. Thanks for the conversation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back