80d with 1.4 teleconverter

chiefdeck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an 80d with a Tamron 600mm G2. Anybody have any experience with this combo using either a Canon or Tamron 1.4 teleconverter esp. for birds in flight. Thanks

zombiesniper

Furtographer Extraordinaire!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorbaldwin.space
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not that exact combo but I have run the 80D with my 500mm and a 2x version 3 Canon tele and it will grab focus well in good light. Just remember your at f8 so so the better the light, the better your focus percentage will be.

I do know that the new Tamron tele is specifically designed to work with the G2 lenses. I know @coastalconn has run this lens tele combination on his Nikon with superb results.

If you have the opportunity to go to a store and try them do it. It's the best way to be sure you're getting what you want. Myself I would lean towards the Tamron tele since it is designed for your lens.

Cliffs, 80d should have no issues at f8, the Tamron lens+tele combo works very well

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Don't do it, just crop instead

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Cropping instead usually gives a higher in-field shutter speed, and with a long
Focal length, such as 600 mm times 1.4 X, shutter speed becomes a very critical parameter, both for motion stopping on the subject and for eliminating camera shake. With today's high megapixel cameras, cropping later at the computer has become a more viable option than it used to be.

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wow guess I was late to the party. The 1.4x TC worked really well for closeup stills .I found it slowed the AF down too much for BIF though. I also makes the viewfinder very dark. I think you are better off getting closer and not using a TC. This article I wrote awhile ago may help you... Capturing distinctive bird images

Most reactions