What's new

8th shooter at wedding reception

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 18, 2012
Messages
2,689
Reaction score
337
Location
Old Town, ME
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, while I was playing with the 70-300 at my river/park, there was a wedding reception going on. After I did my landscape shots, I decided to sneak a few candids of their photo shoot. Their photog was setting them up for this and that, and I parked at a bench and took some shots of my own. I think most were in the 200mm+ range.

C&C if you like, but this was for fun, and a chance for me to shoot some people (dressed up) for a change. I have never shot this far away and it was fun trying. One of them came out blurry but I would have loved for it to have been a good shot. The bride was shaking her finger at her son, who was making a funny face. Great moment I'd have loved to capture in focus.

anyway, have fun looking

I didn't really edit 'cause they were just for fun, although on one or two I did edit out a wire or two.


Here is the set, I don't have time to post each one in here, 11 total photos. Tell me what ya thinks.

candid reception - a set on Flickr

Here is my favorite I think.

7523095436_eccb4a0971_c.jpg








and this crop from that

7523125514_9acb3fbab1_z.jpg
 
I would be pretty pissed if I found out someone took pictures of my family and posted them somewhere without my permission. the first pic is nice, would probably crop a little off the right side. shame the trash can is there, but overal a good shot at 200mm+. second pic is very nice, crop is good and I like the Bokeh. dont think i would change anything on that one.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #3
Thanks. There were many people shooting, like 5 or 6, hence the title. It was in a public park, so there is no rules against shooting it...especially from afar. I don't feel bad about taking the photos at all, nor posting them here as it is obviously me learning, not using them for portfolio or profit.

Thanks for the kudos. Although not very clear, I am quite happy with the second one posted.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #4
and yeah, the trash can totally ruins it...lol. but...I had to do with what I had from how far away I was.
 
Totally rude to be taking photos of a wedding photographer's set up and then posting them online.

The park might not have rules against it, but it goes against photographer etiquette.

They don't even look good from the angle you caught them at because of the mess in the background and the crop is just grainy.

If you wanna "shoot some people dressed up for a change" grab some friends and dress them up.

Or find some models and do a wedding style shoot. :-P
 
there's a lot of mixed feelings on that. any time you are in a public place you expose yourself to the possibility of being photographed. Ernicus obviously isn't using them in his portfolio or profiting from them except for what he gains in experience. Even though I would be mad personally if it was me or someone I knew, overall I don't really see any issues with what he did.
background aside, I thought they were pretty good considering the long distance "on the fly" shoot.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #7
Totally rude to be taking photos of a wedding photographer's set up and then posting them online.

The park might not have rules against it, but it goes against photographer etiquette.

They don't even look good from the angle you caught them at because of the mess in the background and the crop is just grainy.

If you wanna "shoot some people dressed up for a change" grab some friends and dress them up.

Or find some models and do a wedding style shoot. ​
:-P

I don't feel it was rude at all.

If it was my wedding reception, or my wedding should, I would not care if someone shoots from afar...especially if that someone was practicing a new lens or photography in general.

If you don't want your picture taken, don't be in public. 'nuff said. No difference to me if it was a wedding reception or people playing in the park, or walking down the street (which seems to be ok and not rude). I was 100 yards away and not interrupting or distracting the even in any way shape or fashion.

I had also made myself known as I walked by and as I was shooting my landscapes first for a good half hour nearby (hard to miss me carrying a tripod and camera bag)...to which people of the party waved at me and one even said "hi", before I sat at a bench, far away, and began shooting them as I had my smoke before I went home, the event was winding down, more than half the people were gone, and the last shot I got was of them leaving.

I felt it was interesting to see a shoot in action, seeing the setup, and shooting the setup...which is why I shot it. They were having fun, all smiling and enjoying themselves, and that is what I was trying to capture, the fun of the shoot. If that offends...then someone needs a hard look at life. Shooting people being happy and having fun is not a bad thing.

Of course they don't look good...no chit. I am pretty sure I even eluded to that fact in my original post. I think they are cool for what they are, random shots while playing with a new lens, nothing more than that, and I am even happy about one or two considering it was my first time using that kind of lens. Print worthy or not, I don't really care, that's not why I was shooting.

Rather than lash out and call someone rude, try reading and understanding the situation a bit first.

I'd rather not see this thread ruined by turning into an ethics on public shooting, but whatever it's the internet afterall so feel free to post as you like.

*disclaimer*
If my words seem harsh or that I'm upset, I'm not at all. Just stating my feelings on it, and it's hard to detect tone via typed text. :-P
 
I have to say at first I was like thats a no-no then I looked at the set and you didn't get the bride or groom face really at all so I think this is fine for trying your lens and on people where you were at. you were far and the 2nd one is grainy but the first is the best as then the guy put on sunglasses =)
also it looked like there was a main photographer and 2nd shooter I didn't see there was others but possibly family did some too.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #9
Yeah there was 6 cameras in all. two kept following the main shooter. Funny thing is I did a tally, all were canons. 3 point and shoots and 3 dSLR's.

and nah, bride n groom did one shoot, then father and bride, then a couple...assuming they were just wedding party...the ones with the kids. bride was gone by then...at least on the other side of the park anyway.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom