IMG_3458.jpg
IMG_3465.jpg
IMG_3469.jpg
IMG_6628_edited-2.jpg
IMG_6715.jpg
IMG_7152.jpg
IMG_7161.jpg
IMG_6634.jpg
As mentioned before I live in the fields and woods of Robertsville. However for a year (2013-Feb 2014) my husband and I lived aboard in and around Daytona Beach Fl. I do not know the names to all of these foul for certain. I did my best. The first is called a Ahinga (snake bird) he was drying his feathers on the bow of our boat. Second are seagulls I took pics of Christmas 2013. Second to last is a White Heron flying over and around our dock. The last pic of the little guys I sincerely do not know.

Last edited:
Interesting; that first guy looks like he was put together out of spare parts! :lol: The last image is my favorite; I'm not a birdologist, but I'd hazard a guess that they are (or related to) what we call 'Sandpipers'.

Very nice! Glad you knew the first one, because that is one odd looking bird. I also prefer the last shot over the others and think they might be Dunlin.

Nice shots. Anhingas are cool birds, they can put on quite a show when they are drying off. I don't see any seagulls though, in fact I've never seen a seagull. You do have two nice Ring-billed Gulls there, the White bird is a Great Egret and I concur the 4 on the beach are Dunlin.

Keep shooting the birdies and you will get better at naming them in no time.
I like the Anhinga shots. Maybe crop the pole out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice shots. Anhingas are cool birds, they can put on quite a show when they are drying off. I don't see any seagulls though, in fact I've never seen a seagull. You do have two nice Ring-billed Gulls there, the White bird is a Great Egret and I concur the 4 on the beach are Dunlin.
Not a Seagull in the bunch you say? A while back I spent so much time trying to find out what the Ahinga was... I just took for granted a the Ring-billed Gulls were Seagulls. Always a learning curve aye, lol? I am kind of glad the Egret is complimented with word "Great," I thought they were pretty majestic looking birds. Thanks for the good words and the corrections.

Keep shooting the birdies and you will get better at naming them in no time.
I like the Anhinga shots. Maybe crop the pole out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hee, yes I suppose I will learn them. Not the Florida ones though, we were only there for a year. However it was long enough to humble my cats, the birds there are like giants compared to the majority of feathered creatures in MO. I saw a few of your birdie pics on your flickr account. Those humming bird shots were stunning. I enjoyed browsing through your gallery very neat stuff!

ReginaUsh; the last one has undeveloped potential.

Crop the one on the right (he is out of step and I like threesies). Crop a little off top and bottom to maintain a pleasing proportion. Clone out the one white spot in the water. Perhaps a little more adjusting of color, contrast, sharpness, etc.

If you want me to try it, please change your profile setting to allow.

Not a Seagull in the bunch you say? A while back I spent so much time trying to find out what the Ahinga was... I just took for granted a the Ring-billed Gulls were Seagulls. Always a learning curve aye, lol? I am kind of glad the Egret is complimented with word "Great," I thought they were pretty majestic looking birds. Thanks for the good words and the corrections.

There is no real bird known as a seagull, it's a general term people use because they see them near the sea. There are many different types of gulls and they are not just by the sea, they are seen pretty much everywhere near lakes and rivers as well.

Unlike Hunter58 I have seen a seagull. In fact I think I've still got one!
Seagull is the brand name for a model of 2 stroke outboard motor, they were very common in the 70's in the UK at least.

Whilst not a correct term for birds it is a common general term covering various gulls and other similar birds. Most people would consider a common tern to be a seagull even though it's not a gull at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Guillemots and even Albatrosses weren’t often called seagull too!

ReginaUsh; the last one has undeveloped potential.

Crop the one on the right (he is out of step and I like threesies). Crop a little off top and bottom to maintain a pleasing proportion. Clone out the one white spot in the water. Perhaps a little more adjusting of color, contrast, sharpness, etc.

If you want me to try it, please change your profile setting to allow.

Blasted all to heck, I know when I created this account it gave me the option to allow editing or not. I will be dog gone if I can find in my profile how to change it now. If you can advice me on how to change it to allow... We can go from there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back