A Different Kind of "Which Camera"

Am I missing something? You can turn off the auto focus on Canon lenses if you choose and focus manually. And mega-pixel count is not always a good measuring stick, what are your photos being used for?

Am I missing something? You can turn off the auto focus on Canon lenses if you choose and focus manually.

"I need the ability to aperture priority older manual lenses.

With the above in mind, Canon is out because it fails to meet the last criterion...

...you will go on my ignore list immediately."

OH! So close. Thanks for playing.

Any other takers?

Aww. Scared 'em all away.

"I need the ability to aperture priority older manual lenses.

With the above in mind, Canon is out because it fails to meet the last criterion...

...you will go on my ignore list immediately."

OH! So close. Thanks for playing.

Any other takers?

Aww. Scared 'em all away.

Gee, can't imagine why...

And I guess I am missing something because I don't know what aperture priority is other than a setting that lets you choose your f-stop while the camera chooses the shutter speed for you. Not trying to offend anyone here, I honestly don't know what you mean. Keep in mind I am a student photographer who has used mainly newer digital cameras with only a small taste of medium format film.

Your choice of either the Nikon D3 (if you need high ISO) or the Pentax K20D (bang for buck) with a choice of Zeiss glass: http://www.zeiss.com/photo

My choice (if I were in your shoes) would be the 25mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, and the 85mm f/1.4. My choice in body would be the Pentax K20D. That combo would keep me Very happy for years to come.

Question: Does ISO matter in what you will be shooting? Do you want to shoot a lot of extreme wide angles?

If you need high ISO and/or a full frame sensor for extreme wide angle advantage, then the D700 is your answer.

If not, a D300 is the least camera that meets your criteria in the Nikon line.

Image quality in "normal" conditions will be about the same, and either can be fully programed to use matrix metering with the lenses you mentioned (if you care about in camera metering at all).

I have no idea about the Pentax cameras so I will leave that to others.

Wow...I wish this thread were moved to the equip. forum so us noobs could have our playground, lunch money, & f22 sunset back from the bully...

have a good one
3Eo

The Problem is you have your heart set on MF Digital, and it is great, There are wonderful systems out there, but lets face it, if you want 12 MP good ISO Range and use of older lenses, you should be looking at the D700 or the D3.
I understand you don't want all the bells and whistles, but if you consider for a second that with the bells and whistles you may be able to use the camera to pick up some work you could not do with the MF, that work will help pay for you MF back.

I know you like film, and so do I but I have not picked up my Hassy or my Crown since I got my D300 or my D700, All the work I do can be done with these cameras.

and why are you so dead set against using the auto focus, the nikon system allows you to use the auto focus combined with the Manual focus, it works flawless.

I just asked my good friend, Ken Rockwell, and he said that all you need is a D40 and kit lens. :lol:

Alpha, I don't know what to tell you, other than the fact that today's modern DSLR's will come with a lot of the aforementioned "bells and whistles" and the autofocus that you detest.

You could always buy a D3 or a D700, but let's face it. You're a Medium format junkie, and that's ok. Personally, I'd save up for the MF Back for a Mamiya like the ZD Back that's out now. 22MP, plenty good, has manual focus lenses, and the glass is top notch.

Why buy something you won't be satisfied or happy with? Buy something you know you will use time and time again, and what you feel meets your needs for your work.

It is because right now, the options for him in the digital world are not to his liking.

Alpha, I'd say hold out for a short time and don't jump the gun. Yes they may be rumors but there is a *very* good chance that Nikon is coming out with a 20+ MP camera in the near future. The thing that you need to be aware of, is that traditionally, it is $1000US higher than the model beneath it.

So, if something like the D3x (or whatever they name it), comes out, it will be in the 24 MP range and also in the $5500-$6000 range. If that is out of your price range, you are always back to a D3 or D700 as choices.

I sincerely feel that even at 12 MP it is more than able to meet your expectations. After all, you are wanting to expand your business line, right? That means that clients other than those needing billboard sized prints will be knocking at your door and their needs should coincide with the capabilities of a D3. It really is the best camera out there at this time, bar none.

However, a D3x sure looks to be the camera of your dreams at this point. Close the wallet for a while and wait, that is what I think is your best solution... unless you tell us that you need to do this tomorrow. Then I suggest you bite the bullet and go D3.

As for lenses, you have all the choices from the 1970's to present to choose from, all manual focus capable and some incredible lenses in that range to boot. Don't forget to check out some Zeiss lenses too. I hear they are ok (lol).

Feel free to put me on iggy for sharing my opinion, I don't care. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back