A Different Kind of "Which Camera"

Well, I have a K10 and absolutely love it. I plan to buy a K20 body soon for the nicer CMOS sensor, better JPEG performance, and 1.4M. The controls and ergos are top notch and it readily lends itself to fast handling. I had not heard anything about Pentax going belly up- that would be a shame. I really like the new Pentax lenses- the 21mm Limited is especially handy. This news is depressing- have you seen a write-up on the situation? :meh: I'll be using my Pentax equipment until it's completely obsolete!

Anyone mention leica? Never used one, but is it the M8 that's the digital one? What's the price on one of those?

Anyone mention leica? Never used one, but is it the M8 that's the digital one? What's the price on one of those?

An M8 + a set of new Summilux lenses will run well north of $10k. It is a camera of a different kind to meet a certain type of photographer. One who loves to shoot rangefinders and is eager to add digital to their arsenal. I love mine.. quirks and all but I'm not so sure it will fit Alpha's needs.

And I need the ability to aperture priority older manual lenses.

With the above in mind, Canon is out because it fails to meet the last criterion.

I have an adapter for old manual screw mount lenses for my Canon and you can do aperture priority on them. The adapter holds down the aperture pin the entire time, so you just set it on the lens, hold the shutter down halfway, and the camera selects the shutter speed for you.

That said, maybe there are adapters that stop down K-mount lenses for canon.

Forgot to mention...

Some Leica-R shooters have migrated to the Canon 5D with adapter to Leica-R glass. I believe Iron Flatline shoots with that type of setup. I hear there are limitations (mirror clearance) though. I've been tempted but havn't tried it myself.

I still think Zeiss is going to be a good option to look into (see link above). Traditional design and build concepts (manual shooters mindset) with present day optics and coatings.

I'll be using my Pentax equipment until it's completely obsolete!

The way that Pentax has conducted its designs and business, is that nothing actually becomes obsolete, You can still use all of the old M42 and manual k-mount glass, I suspect this will hold true long into the future.

And Max, I think that usayit and jerry have the best advice for going Nikon, or holding out to get a Digital back. Good Luck, sound like you'll be having fun.

It is because right now, the options for him in the digital world are not to his liking.

Alpha, I'd say hold out for a short time and don't jump the gun. Yes they may be rumors but there is a *very* good chance that Nikon is coming out with a 20+ MP camera in the near future. The thing that you need to be aware of, is that traditionally, it is $1000US higher than the model beneath it.

So, if something like the D3x (or whatever they name it), comes out, it will be in the 24 MP range and also in the $5500-$6000 range. If that is out of your price range, you are always back to a D3 or D700 as choices.

I sincerely feel that even at 12 MP it is more than able to meet your expectations. After all, you are wanting to expand your business line, right? That means that clients other than those needing billboard sized prints will be knocking at your door and their needs should coincide with the capabilities of a D3. It really is the best camera out there at this time, bar none.

However, a D3x sure looks to be the camera of your dreams at this point. Close the wallet for a while and wait, that is what I think is your best solution... unless you tell us that you need to do this tomorrow. Then I suggest you bite the bullet and go D3.

As for lenses, you have all the choices from the 1970's to present to choose from, all manual focus capable and some incredible lenses in that range to boot. Don't forget to check out some Zeiss lenses too. I hear they are ok (lol).

Feel free to put me on iggy for sharing my opinion, I don't care. :)

Alpha....I actually agree with jerry on this one.

My suggestion to Alpha: Do the research yourself if you're that easily... provoked. :roll:
And, yes, I know, I'm going on your ignore list immediately.

+3

Your choice of either the Nikon D3 (if you need high ISO) or the Pentax K20D (bang for buck) with a choice of Zeiss glass: http://www.zeiss.com/photo

My choice (if I were in your shoes) would be the 25mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, and the 85mm f/1.4. My choice in body would be the Pentax K20D. That combo would keep me Very happy for years to come.

The Pentax seems like a good choice because it's mostly resolution, and fewer bells and whistles. I don't mind that the AF hunts a bit, since I won't be using it.

Question: Does ISO matter in what you will be shooting?
No.

Do you want to shoot a lot of extreme wide angles?
No

If you need high ISO and/or a full frame sensor for extreme wide angle advantage, then the D700 is your answer.

If not, a D300 is the least camera that meets your criteria in the Nikon line.

Image quality in "normal" conditions will be about the same, and either can be fully programed to use matrix metering with the lenses you mentioned (if you care about in camera metering at all).

I have no idea about the Pentax cameras so I will leave that to others.

Thanks for weighing in.

The Problem is you have your heart set on MF Digital, and it is great, There are wonderful systems out there, but lets face it, if you want 12 MP good ISO Range and use of older lenses, you should be looking at the D700 or the D3.
I understand you don't want all the bells and whistles, but if you consider for a second that with the bells and whistles you may be able to use the camera to pick up some work you could not do with the MF, that work will help pay for you MF back.

I know you like film, and so do I but I have not picked up my Hassy or my Crown since I got my D300 or my D700, All the work I do can be done with these cameras.

and why are you so dead set against using the auto focus, the nikon system allows you to use the auto focus combined with the Manual focus, it works flawless.

You're right. I do really want digital MF. I'm sure all the work you do can be done on the digital. I would be doing all my "work," too.

Thing is, my subjects don't really move. My aversion to AF glass is not based on my dislike of AF, but rather the fact that it requires me to buy glass that is, to a great extent, expensive because it auto-focuses. My dislike is of wasting money on features I don't need.

I will be doing my own tests when it comes to quality. I need to be able to print poster sized, and sharp.

That said, it's easy for digital-only shooters to make claims about sharpness in prints. The guy at Ritz told me 12MP will print a tack-sharp 3x4' print and I see no earthly reason to believe him. I would like to hear the opinions of some long-time MF/LF film shooters on printing big with a 12MP camera. Sorry to you other guys. I trust their opinions more.

Most reactions

Back