A Different Kind of "Which Camera"

Do I take it from that, that you will be seeking out older glass, given that very little new stuff comes without it? "It" being AF.

No, you don't take it from that. You take it form my OP where I stated it quite explicitly. You're treading on +6 territory.

Shame you don't live in Canada as I could hook you up with an individual who shoots with a Phase One P45+ back and owns a nice Cambo set up as well with numerous Schneider lenses. You would probably never turn back to the '35mm'-esque digital world after touching those ;)

To the people who have gone on my ignore list:

I have no gripe with you personally. But I've made my requirements as clear as I can and if you insist on contaminating what I hope could be a nice, intelligent discussion of my options within those limits, then I will add you just so I don't have to read your posts in this thread.

I would like to hear the opinions of some long-time MF/LF film shooters on printing big with a 12MP camera. Sorry to you other guys. I trust their opinions more.

Speaking as someone who has had a Hasselblad for over a quarter of a century I don't think the problem is the sharpness that everyone seems so obsessed with.

The problem is the lack of detail.

The two things are not the same and yet since coming here I've seen pages of stuff about PPI, DPI and sharpness but not a single person has, AFAIK, mentioned detail.

This is the thing that those of us who love larger formats get addicted to.

And, no, there is no way you can get the detail of a good 6cm x 6cm negative with any current 35mm camera without stitching together multiple 'negs' (which can work extremely well).

Speaking as someone who has had a Hasselblad for over a quarter of a century I don't think the problem is the sharpness that everyone seems so obsessed with.

The problem is the lack of detail.

The two things are not the same and yet since coming here I've seen pages of stuff about PPI, DPI and sharpness but not a single person has, AFAIK, mentioned detail.

This is the thing that those of us who love larger formats get addicted to.

And, no, there is no way you can get the detail of a good 6cm x 6cm negative with any current 35mm camera without stitching together multiple 'negs' (which can work extremely well).

Thank you for adding this.

Can anyone comment on the significance of the image processors in-camera, specifically any differences between the Pentax and Nikon, if possible.

Well, since I'm on his ignore list anyway...

oh noes ive been blocked by the big self-righteous egomaniac!

oh noes!

k, I'm done.

lol, Manaheim that's exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully you're able to somehow manage this life-altering event.

lol, Manaheim that's exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully you're able to somehow manage this life-altering event.

I was just crying about it to my wife. I'm thinking of seeking therapy.

:lmao:

Alpha,
Out of curiosity, do you have access to continuous light sources?

If so you may want to consider (egads!!!) a LF scan back, there's a Phase One Studiokit on ebay right now with an opening bid of $400, should go for well under $1k.

Huge sensel size, normal MF/LF lenses work fine on it. (though I tend to use enlarging lenses, since exposures are in the minutes range). Established technology has it's advantages. The major downside is that it's not supported by OSX, if you're of a Mac bent, and it's SCSI interface. PM or email me if you need more details and a few pics.

For my product work, unless there's a need for capturing motion or other flash requirements, I use the scan back.

erie

I was just crying about it to my wife. I'm thinking of seeking therapy.
:lmao:
I guess I will join you.
I have been reading this with much amusement. You seem to be like a little kid being dragged kicking and, screaming, that he has to (Oh Noes!) join the modern world. Just my thoughts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back