A Discussion On Cohesiveness

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am starting to plan a year long endeavor on a single subject to concentrate on and I was looking to see what others thoughts were on what creates a cohesive series? Beyond the general topic, is there more to it for you? If you must know, I am working on a portrait series of the local black/death metal bands akin to Peter Beste's work. Now, I haven't purchased his book, only seen a few photographs through Google after thinking about this idea and his work resonates with me for this subject.

Thoughts?

There are several ways to get there, IMO. Consistency in lighting and/or composition and perspective. Editing style - colors, tones, contrast. Using your photographic "voice".

Perhaps set aside a day a week and take just one photo on that day. This will give you 52 photos which are joined by being the photo you chose to take on that day. Possibly a pattern will emerge during the year or it might be the cohesion will only be apparent later, when you are finished. Each photo will be a link in a chain, and the chain will be an expression of your will.

I'm not familiar with that photographer (but will go look him up) but I'd think about showing concerts from setting up til after the show. Not all in one night! - or you could... then choose from those over time. This is like doing events - go early, stay late (again, not every concert) to get behind the scenes shots. And yes, I've gotten what I'd consider 'in game'event portraits but in a different place than a studio, and spontaneously rather than posed.

If it's going to be over a year's time, I'd look at what else goes on during a concert tour or between performances, what do they do traveling? or on days or nights in between performances? What goes into a performance? what is the crew doing? when/how do they interact with band members? setting up lighting? etc. etc. I'd see opportunities for photos/portraits of various aspects of the band's life.

Depends on how much access you have but over time you could probably by going early or after performances see interesting opportunities to photograph the band members besides when they're on stage. Even when you don't get a picture you may get some good stories to tell (in sports I found behind the scenes is never boring! lol).

Have fun with it! If you do it'll probably show in your photos. And of course make sure you're getting proper exposures, and framing/composing images well, etc. etc. You'll need to like it enough to hang in there over the long haul, but you'll probably come away with some great experiences and photos that tell a story.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back