A DSLR reccomendation?

kyle L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Kyle, and I'm 14 years old. Right now I use my parent's Canon G9, and I love it. It's very easy to use and it produces great results. I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a decent DSLR, that is compact like the G9, produces good results and is in the price range of $500-$650? I'm looking for a camera that's versatile, which can take good macros, scenery, and just everyday usage. Thank you very much! :D

Here are some shots I have taken with the G9.

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0344-1.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

Not exactly sure what this is...:mrgreen:
IMG_9494.jpg

IMG_9913.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a decent DSLR, that is compact like the G9

No such thing.

The Canon Rebel series (or the Nikon equivalent) is about the smallest you're going to get.

Honestly, any DSLR will do everything you're looking for.

Get whichever one feels the best, or looks the coolest.

What you want to do is more dependent on lens selection than what body you're using.

I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations for a decent DSLR, that is compact like the G9

No such thing.

The Canon Rebel series (or the Nikon equivalent) is about the smallest you're going to get.

Honestly, any DSLR will do everything you're looking for.

Get whichever one feels the best, or looks the coolest.

What you want to do is more dependent on lens selection than what body you're using.

Thanks for the info.

i have the canon EOS rebel xs

i love it

although ive heard the xsi is worth the extra money...

Consider looking into the micro 4/3 system; either the Panasonic G1 or Olympus EP-1. Both are around the $700 - $900 range, unfortunately.

Btw, lovely pictures. I hope I can get those same results with my xti some day, haha.

Last edited:
Hello kyle l, I always feel good when I read posts from younger photogs just starting out. Thanks for posting. As OllllllO has said the camera you describe doesn't exist. The G9 is an advanced highly capable camera with the ability to produce stunning results. Why don't you relax a little and try to "master" the G9 first. I also own one and love it. One more thing to master and more important thing to "master" is photography. After all, a photographer resides in your creative mind and not in your camera. Good luck and keep on shooting.

First of all what is your price range and also is there a specific brand that you are happy with? We could give you an infinite amount of choices!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back