A few pics of my work .. Feed back please!

thebutler4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All photos here are unedited other than resized, added my logo to the picture .. and 2 of them where touched up using Portrait professional. I guess I should not say Unedited .. but they are not photo shopped.

First 2 where taken with a Center Image Fog Lens filter.

My grandson :)

DSC_0046.jpg

A picture of my wife. This was was touched up a little.

DSC_0030_pp1.jpg

Here are my kids that still live at home! .. The picture was taken off center so that I was able to use it as a desktop background on my computer ..
DSC_00481.jpg

This is my daughter and our new grand baby!

DSC_00681_SRD.jpg

Feed back is not only welcome but requested :)

Thanks for looking!
Steve

Last edited:
The black background and fade make it hard to see what may be his hair, and where did his pinky go? Maybe if you switched the background colors between the brown and black one it would be more apealing to my eye? I like the images to stand out from the background so they are visible. I am just starting though.

....Wait, you said these were unedited? Did I miss something?:er:

Yes they are unedited .. other than resized, added my logo to the picture .. and 2 of them where touched up using Portrait professional. I guess I should not say Unedited .. but they are not photo shopped.

Last edited:
....Wait, you said these were unedited? Did I miss something?:er:

Yes they are unedited .. other than resized, added my logo to the picture .. and 2 of them where touched up using Portrait professional. I guess I should not say Unedited .. but they are not photo shopped.

Post-processing, regardless of the program used is still considered editing in my book.

The black background and fade make it hard to see what may be his hair, and where did his pinky go? Maybe if you switched the background colors between the brown and black one it would be more apealing to my eye? I like the images to stand out from the background so they are visible. I am just starting though.

The background on the second picture is black .. the glass filter I put on the camera enhanced the skin color out around her. (I LOVE that filter!) .. lol

Welcome to the forum.
Not sure how the first two were taken that would have that vignette too them without editing but either way I actually think it reduces the value of the shots. You appear to have 2 nice images that are good poses and in focus. Shoot in portrait framing.
Again 3 and 4 are good in focus but shoot in portrait or crop it that way, you'll see a good difference on appearance.
On #4 the child should be facing same way as mother imo. It is your responsibility to insure children are facing the direction they should be.

Welcome to the forum.
Not sure how the first two were taken that would have that vignette too them without editing but either way I actually think it reduces the value of the shots.

Its a filter I bought a while ago .. my favorite filter to be honest. its called a Center Image fog lens ..

You appear to have 2 nice images that are good poses and in focus. Shoot in portrait framing.
Again 3 and 4 are good in focus but shoot in portrait or crop it that way, you'll see a good difference on appearance.
On #4 the child should be facing same way as mother imo. It is your responsibility to insure children are facing the direction they should be.

ya my grand daughter was having a bad day .. lol .. I already took a bunch of photos of just her this was the only one I could get of her and my daughter together. my wife had to stand to the side with a teddy bear to get her to smile for that one .. lol O well .. I do agree .. I wish she was looking at the camera on that shot.

Thank you for the feed back .. please keep it coming!

While that filter may be fun to use, It greatly degrades the quality and usability of your photos.

You can make your subject stand out MUCH better by just using proper lighting, and MAYBE adding a SLIGHT vignette in post. That filter is ridiculously overdone. I would honestly never offer that to a client, as it looks like your lens was fogged up when you took the photo

While that filter may be fun to use, It greatly degrades the quality and usability of your photos.

You can make your subject stand out MUCH better by just using proper lighting, and MAYBE adding a SLIGHT vignette in post. That filter is ridiculously overdone. I would honestly never offer that to a client, as it looks like your lens was fogged up when you took the photo

I agree, the first one was over done a little and I see that now, however the second one of my wife was what I was going after .. the "Glammer shot" .. and the lighting was much better on the second than on the first one.

THIS.

As for the lighting on the last 2 photos .. what are your thoughts? they where taken with my new light setup. I am still trying to figure out the best light placement ..

Keep the feed back coming .. I am not thin skinned! I can take it!

I agree, the first one was over done a little and I see that now, however the second one of my wife was what I was going after .. the "Glammer shot" .. and the lighting was much better on the second than on the first one.

I would say that the second one is way more overdone than the first one. The first one it just kind of looks underexposed or like there was something in front of your lens blocking the subject. The second one honestly is painful for me to look at due to the effect the filter adds to it. But to each his own, if you like it, and you can find clients that will pay for it, then more power to you

As for the lighting in the second two, your on the right track. Can you explain the lighting setup you used so we can know what kind of advice to give you?

#3 - I would have tried to get the background darker. To do this you have a few options. You can use a snoot on your flash to restrict the light so it only hits your subject, or what I would do it just move the subject farther from the background. You generally want your subject at least 6 feet from the background. This allows the light and DOF to fall off so the background becomes darker and out of focus, providing a much smoother look to it, and making your subject stand out more. Definitely need to change to portrait orientation in this shot in my opinion. Pesonally, if I were shooting those dogs I would go with a medium gray background. To prevent the subjects from blending into the background I would use a rim light behind the subject.

#4 - Not bad. Subjects look a little underexposed to me. biggest thing is once again to shoot in portrait orientation. Also, try having your subjects sit at a 45 degree angle to the camera. This is a much more flattering angle for them to sit at, and it can make them look thinner, which generally pleases clients.

Here is an example of one of my recent headshots I did during a senior session:
1209067944_9n8UK-L.jpg

Notice that the subject stands out from the background due to lighting, not because the rest of the photo is blurred out

Most reactions

Back