A few pics of my work .. Feed back please!

Thank you for the feed back!!!!

The lighting I bought was:

2x Britek#3608 HS-2000 Strobe Light 440w/s
2x Britek#3495 HS-600 Strobe Light 168w/s

in that photo #3 and #4 I have a soft-box on 1 of the HS-2000 and was placed above and to the left of the camera and silver umbrellas on the 2 HS-600`s to the right and left of the subjects.

Photos #1 and #2 where taken with really cheap lights .. I use them now as fillers when needed.

I will work on moving the background farther away .. right now I don't have the room for 6 feet but I understand what you are saying. I wish I push the walls of my house out! .. lol

I'm not a huge fan of the filter in the first two either. Besides what others have mentioned about lighting for the bottom 2, I would add that I really dislike portraits when I can tell the background is a piece of cloth- ex. anytime I can see wrinkles and folds in the background. I'm no good at studio portraiture, so I couldn't tell you how to fix it though... :)

1. The vignetting in this picture is horrid, too much of it and the color of it just doesn't work. Your logo too big so it kind of ruins the image even further, i think if you didn't use a filter or added the logo you prob would have had a descent photo going.

2. Again same mistakes, in this one the vignetting is colored to the point where the subjects face is starting to completely blend in with the vignetting and again the logo obscured half the picture. I think the Logo is dragging more attention to the viewer more than the actual portrait.

3. I don't think the blue backdrop works well with the dogs at all, i would have chosen a shade instead of a color. Also i think the blacks are too deep in this which creates too much contrast between the backdrop and the subjects. Also with Dogs i think side shots work much better than straight on.

4. The only thing i would have changed is going in to portrait orientation instead of horizontal because you cut too much off the baby, almost like shes falling out of the photo. And shallower DOF would have worked well.

Just my two cents

now that I think about it .. Should I be using the larger lights with umbrellas and the 2 smaller lights as fillers? I think I have this setup backwards .. lol

The shot with your daughter and grand-daughter needs more fill in light, seems a bit dark and dull. But great composition!

Nino Gaerlan

Nino G. Photography

www.ninogphotography.com

Take my opinion with a grain of salt because portrait photography isn't what I have done too much. I probably touched on what a lot of others have already said:

1 and 2 are a little more than just touched up, in my opinion. I really don't like this huge vignetting at all. It's like I'm looking through a wormhole or something.

Also, I don't like that the child's hand in 1 blocks the light on the bottom portion of his face. Perhaps more light was needed or set up at a different angle.

The vignetting in 2 is worse than 1 because the color matches the subject. It doesn't help her stand out at all.

The focus on 3 is really good, but as someone mentioned above, a shallower DOF would have been better. I also don't like noticing that the background is cloth. It makes it look less professional if that's something you're looking for. Also, a blue background doesn't seem to fit for two brown/black dogs.

As opposed to 3, the background color works in 4. But again, the DOF needs to be smaller.

What kinda surprises me was that no one liked number 2 .. lol .. O well

Ya I need to work on getting the background farther away from the subjects .. right now the only room I have to do this leaves the subject about 2 feet from the back ground (I know not good)

I am still trying to learn the lighting .. I have and for the most part always done landscape .. and I can post some of that as well .. this is me just starting to learn portrait photography. so I am learning with all your feedback .. and it really helps .. Thank you and keep them coming!

ya know whats really strange is when I print the photos on my D7560 printer they look so much better.

Last edited:
You have focus down and posing. I would work without the filters and get your basic portraits down. Nail the basics of focus, posing, lighting and change backdrop color, then you may find that the filters are no longer needed or that an editing program can do a better job.
I use protrait professional also and believe you are using it within reason.
I would be interested to see any one else who uses these filters and their images.
Have fun and good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back