A few 'spicy' modeling shots from last night

doziergraphic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
don't know why I post these before really going through major pp, but here's some shots from last night - still getting my pink cast on the backdrop (again, have NOT worked with the whitebalance on these, basically how they were shot). Not necessarily the best of the bunch, but wanted to get some out.

not happy with my lighting yet, all over the place, need some barn doors for better directional lighting on hair.

but curious about opinions regarding overall posing, etc. obviously not a pro (model or photographer!!!).

she also went to the tanning bed the same morning and had some heavy makeup on - she's coming back in about a week - told her NOT to tan and light on the makeup. Round 2 next week.

IMG_0041_pp_web.jpg

IMG_0127_pp_web.jpg

IMG_0098_pp_web.jpg

IMG_0220_pp_web.jpg

Why did you shoot the first one at iso1600 ? , to me it looks like you only have 1 light on the background on models right, tell the model to relax her shoulders the first 3 shots she is lifting them up which makes her neck look strange, shot 4 is the best lighting wise

left the camera setting on 1600 from a test earlier, didn't catch it until about 20 shots in. Surprised I caught it at all! Her first shoot too - so neither of us really knew what we were doing lol. But she's coming back and we've looked through some of them, and her poses are something we'll work on next time.

Okay, take this advice with a grain of salt...I'm not a pro, and when I do shoot models it doesn't tend to be glamour as it looks like you're going for here. That being said, based only on these four shots...

The first suggestion I have is to get more variety out of your model. The first three shots are basically the same pose - head and torso square to the camera, arms straight down (hands at/on her hips), with the same expression on her face. Experiment with different poses. Have her turn her torso, have her turn and/or tilt her head, have her look off camera some times, have her laugh or pout. Mix it up and sometimes you'll stumble into a pose which you want to explore further - it also takes the monotony out of it for both you and the model.

Next, she looks a little tight in most of them. In 1-3 her neck is much shorter than it wants to be, either because her shoulders are up (1,3) or her head is jutting forward (2). Her body has potential for great lines - accentuate those by elongating her neck, not compacting it. Her arms also look a little rigid, with her hands too firmly planted on her hips. Work on getting her to elongate that neck, but at the same time don't be afraid to stop shooting for a minute now and then and have her dance around, shake out her limbs, and generally get loose again. (It helps if you have her bring her own music too that she can bop around to.)

I expect you'll also get the advice that a square-to-camera body pose isn't the most flattering, and in general this is true. Your model here seems to have a body that can pull it off (though I still think turning that torso on occasion is a good thing too). Looking specifically at shot 2 I suspect that if you get her in a slightly more interesting pose (ie, with not every line essentially vertical) you'll get nice curves from the waist down over the hips. See this pose from a model I shot and imagine how it would show of your model's curves better than her current pose.
CC_100305_0104_WS.jpg

(Also note that without her hands planted on her hips - one arm up, the other hanging away from the body - your eye is free to follow her silhouette from top to bottom.)

Lastly, great call on catching her about the tanning and heavy makeup. I expect that doing the next shoot without those will help a good deal. You might also consider using a makeup artist - if you and the model are willing to chip in it shouldn't be expensive for either of you, and you might also be able to find a noob MUA willing to do it TF. An MUA can apply the right makeup, so that it looks light yet covers her well enough to deal with her oily areas (see: cheeks and T-zone in picture 4).

Okay, one more thing. You mentioned you're not happy with the lighting, but it looks like you're trying different setups and learning what works so I'm not going to comment on your light placement. I will point out that something for both you and the model to keep in mind is to work with your light setup. Take your headshot (#4) for example. I have no problem with where you placed your main and fill lights as far as getting good coverage on the subject. However, since she has one side of her hair pulled back over an ear, that might be the side you want to use as your main light side - showing more face just to put that in shadow seems counterproductive. (Note the asymmetrical hair in my shot above - I reversed my lighting setup to take advantage of the model's hair in that case.) Not saying you did it poorly here, just something to keep in mind.

Great advice Rob - and a very nice shot there. That's what I'm going for but have a long way to go to get there. Two shoots so far I've spent all my time up and down playing with the lights. Not getting what I want yet, but I guess that comes with time. I love the light on her face in your shot, very smooth and even.

Thanks for the time involved in your response!

Howdy - Re: makeup...don't let her use anything but Matte. I think what she is sussing has a lot of sparkle/shimmer in it and its making it harder for you. I like the way #2 came out, the background looks great!

Not to be mean, but how did you not notice the high iso until 20 photos in? Didn't it seem odd to you?

Otherwise, I have to say that these are better than what I have pulled off so far, plus I don't have an ultra-cute model willing to tease my camera...you lucky guy!

Her makeup is doing her face no favors :(
She is a cute girl but this is where a good make up artist comes in handy, knows what to use where to get good look.
I'm not sure if you did any skin smoothing but if so, she looks too plastic, if not, she needs to lay off the foundation or get a higher quality make up.
She also needs to pull her shoulders down, as she is posed in sort of that "oppps I see you looking at me" shrug, it is doing no favors to her cute body.
Sometimes less is more, especially when you are doing these types of sexy shots, natural beauty (less makeup in the right shades/finishes) really would pull the shots together.
If she had zero make up on, not inch thick eye liners and caked on blush/bronzer, she would be so more sexy/bedroom eyes....
Just things to think about for your next session.
With this makeup, she looks sort of stripperish, and I'm sure that is not the look you were going for? or maybe so, but then the clothing is all wrong, she has more girl next door cute boy shorts/lingerie and a bikini, if yo want stripper you need to get some 8 inch hooker boots and more slutty clothing.
:)

Her makeup is doing her face no favors :(
She is a cute girl but this is where a good make up artist comes in handy, knows what to use where to get good look.
I'm not sure if you did any skin smoothing but if so, she looks too plastic, if not, she needs to lay off the foundation or get a higher quality make up.
She also needs to pull her shoulders down, as she is posed in sort of that "oppps I see you looking at me" shrug, it is doing no favors to her cute body.
Sometimes less is more, especially when you are doing these types of sexy shots, natural beauty (less makeup in the right shades/finishes) really would pull the shots together.
If she had zero make up on, not inch thick eye liners and caked on blush/bronzer, she would be so more sexy/bedroom eyes....
Just things to think about for your next session.
With this makeup, she looks sort of stripperish, and I'm sure that is not the look you were going for? or maybe so, but then the clothing is all wrong, she has more girl next door cute boy shorts/lingerie and a bikini, if yo want stripper you need to get some 8 inch hooker boots and more slutty clothing.
:)

Thanks. I covered most of these points in the original post.

She actually is an 'entertainer' so the clothes were natural for her. Her makeup was on when she arrived, and I was ready to get started so didn't want to re-do the makeup. This was meant to be kind of a 'test' session for both of us. Learned a lot and hoping for better results from both of us next time, including my guidance on her posing.

Not to be mean, but how did you not notice the high iso until 20 photos in? Didn't it seem odd to you?

Otherwise, I have to say that these are better than what I have pulled off so far, plus I don't have an ultra-cute model willing to tease my camera...you lucky guy!

Most of the first 20 were test shots as I was making adjustments, when things didn't add up and the lights were almost off and still adding too much light, it hit me that I put it on 1600 when i was experimenting in a very lowlight situation when using the camera the previous day (didn't I cover that already?).

Again, this was my SECOND shoot with another person, I was probably more nervous than she was. I never said I had talent, just trying to figure it all out!

All poses begin with the feet. That is the foundation in which to build upon. Here's a little excercise for you to try. Standing in front of a full length mirror in your tighty-whities (I actually prefer boxers), place one foot a step ahead of the other and have those toes point towards the mirror. Bend that knee with most of your weight on the back hip and leg. Pivoting, rotating and moving your torso in many different directions. Lean forward at the waist, placing more weight on the back leg and continue pivoting, rotating and moving.

Now place your feet together and do the same movements.

What's your observation? Which feels more natural and more importantly, more comfortable? Which situation provides a better pose?

There is another bit of sage advice in posing...... If it bends, bend it.

All poses begin with the feet. That is the foundation in which to build upon. Here's a little excercise for you to try. Standing in front of a full length mirror in your tighty-whities (I actually prefer boxers), place one foot a step ahead of the other and have those toes point towards the mirror. Bend that knee with most of your weight on the back hip and leg. Pivoting, rotating and moving your torso in many different directions. Lean forward at the waist, placing more weight on the back leg and continue pivoting, rotating and moving.

Now place your feet together and do the same movements.

What's your observation?

That I should have tried this BEFORE I started drinking ...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back