Daf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dafshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Been shopping to replace the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens I got way back when I bought the D40 - finally found and bought a really nice used Nikon 17-55mm F/2.8 G DX! Wow - that is one nice (and heavy!) piece of glass! Super smooth on the AF and zoom. I like it! :) The bokeh is very similar to my 80-200 f2.8 AF-S D.

Here are a few shots from the short first session with the new lens. Stayed on the narrow end this time - will work out the wide side next. ;) Thanks for looking!

1 - f/2.8 1/2500 ISO 140 - 55mm
green_yoyo_color.jpg

2 - Had to try the selective color - to get it out of my system. :)
green_yoyo_color_SC.jpg

3 - f/2.8 1/3200 ISO 180 - 44mm
chain_abstract.jpg

4 - f/2.8 1/4000 ISO 160 - 48mm
swing_link.jpg

#1: I'm really quite surprised at the amount of CA here! I would have expected a lot better control from a $1400 Nikon lens. Not that this was the best condition for minimizing CA, but I'm certain that my Tokina 16-50 2.8, a lens that is supposedly notorious for horrid CA (I completely disagree BTW), handles it much better than this.

CA?

Edit: Never mind. someone already asked same question. Google helped me.

I don't see the cyan, red or purple fringing around the edge of the chain. Could you point it out?

first image on the out of focus chain on the left
Now I see it. It's slightly purple. I thought it is normal due to OOF/blur.

I noticed that as well, but only on that set of shots with the hanging chains - the rest of the photos were crystal clear - including some that were very similar. The way the morning sun was coming down, the purple-ish color of the metal and the relationship to the lens may have had a great deal to do with exagerating this effect.

Will continue to monitor subsequent photos.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back