A Girl & Her Mini: Photo Shoot Questions

ASCSurveyor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So a good friend asked me if I wanted to do a photo shoot of her and her Mini Cooper. Like a moron, I said yes. :confused:

I do photography for fun. I have an XTi, two lenses, a tripod, remote switch, and use Canon's software to process. And while I've been doing it for maybe 10 years or so, I certainly don't feel I'm past the novice stage.

And that's why I'm doing this shoot... to learn. I've done a few photo shoots this year, one being for a local motorcycle shop's release party, but it was Italian motorbikes... I don't think there's a way to make a Ducati look bad. :D

But I have yet to do a shoot involving a person. I do have luck on my side, as the girl is "model material", in my opinion. Tall, slender, and Eastern European. But as I've never done a shoot with a model before, I'm not sure where to start.

I'd like suggestions on poses, angles, or what might look good. We'll be using her Mini Cooper in the shoot, and I've already went ahead a few weeks ago and scouted some locations in an old warehouse/industrial district. Simple background, IMO. The focus is her and car.

She's well aware of my "skill level", and despite me telling her I'm just doing this to learn, she insists on paying me... or at least buying me dinner (easy fellas... she's married). But even though I want to do this for free, I still want to do a good job, and not have them look quite so... "amateur", if that makes any sense. I don't plan on selling them, but I still want her to be happy with what I give her.

So, suggestions? Tips to go by? We're doing the shoot at 8am, and the weather is supposed to be 65° and partly cloudy. Should work pretty well, I think.

I don't think there's a way to make a Ducati look bad. :D

Sure there is, put it next to a Harley. :lol:

This probably goes without saying, but make sure the car is clean. I'd bring along some glass cleaner and a couple of other cleaning items to touch up any smudging or other noticeable blemishes. You didn't mention anything about using flash, so I would also at the very least bring along some type of reflector.

Don't forget the polarizing filter... it might come in handy. Glare on the windows can be really distracting.

I'm assuming that you weren't talking about doing the shoot at 8am today, so you have a little time to google. I don't know your friend but I'm guessing that she's not looking for just the "girl in a bikini draped across the hood" shot, so you may have to research for a while. While you're looking at such pictures, think about why you think they would work if you swapped in your friend and her Mini, and once you start to recognize some common elements to such photos you can use those as starting points to compose your own shots.

That being said, if it were me here are some things I would consider. First, a common "rule" is to not place your subject square to the camera. Rather than position a model with her shoulders square to the camera and looking directly at it, you generally want to turn her torso and/or her head. Well, similarly you probably don't want to shoot the Mini from directly in front or from the side, a 3/4 perspective is much more interesting.

Don't feel obligated to use the Mini as a prop. You can make this a model shoot and have the car as a noticeable second subject in the background (as in this image: Sexy Car Model In Golden 1280x800 - Hot Car Models In Tuning World Bodensee 2009, just one that showed up in my first page of google searching). Or you can get low and have her lean against the car so that it's not much more than a backrest as far as her posing in concerned. Trying too hard to incorporate the car will just make the image look forced. Alternatively you can get in close and shoot details on the car, aspects which are distinctly Mini, and incorporate just a hand or a foot to mark it as hers.

I'll also second some of the suggestions above. A polarizing filter may certainly help with glare off the windshield, and having the car freshly washed (even better if freshly waxed, tires cleaned, etc.).

I like that you've scouted locations and want to keep the background simple. If it's the right warehouse/industrial district I think that can work. I don't know if you scouted that location around the time you'll be shooting, but one thing to consider is that with the sun relatively low in the sky in the early morning you can have shadows cast by the buildings which may affect where you'll need to set up and at what angle to shoot. Another alternative for location would be an open space - a park or something, even better if it's wide open and/or at the top of a hill. You won't have to worry about shadows, and you can shoot so that the sky is your background (coincidentally, also as in the image above).

Good luck, have fun, and post the results!

First, spend some time at the location. You say you're going to shoot at 8.00am, so go there at 8.00am a few days before (and if possible, bring the client). Look at the lighting, shadow, activity, etc. Bring your gear and look at various scenes with your lenses to determine what might and might not work.

As mentioned, a polarizing filter is essential for any shoot with glass, and I would also invest a couple of dollars in some large sheets of white card stock or Coro-plast to use as reflectors.

Spend an hour or three on line searching Flickr and similar 'sites for posing ideas and run them by the client. It doesn't matter if you have the best idea in the world, if she doesn't like it...

Pay VERY careful attention to your background. Industrial areas can work well, but you don't want pipes "growing" out of her head, or things like that.

This probably goes without saying, but make sure the car is clean. I'd bring along some glass cleaner and a couple of other cleaning items to touch up any smudging or other noticeable blemishes. You didn't mention anything about using flash, so I would also at the very least bring along some type of reflector.

I don't know... I'd put my baby up against any chromed out skull-ridden flame job. :D

IMG_4498.png

She plans on having the car detailed beforehand, but I'm going to bring my quick-cleaning stuff just in case.

I'm assuming that you weren't talking about doing the shoot at 8am today, so you have a little time to google. I don't know your friend but I'm guessing that she's not looking for just the "girl in a bikini draped across the hood" shot, so you may have to research for a while. While you're looking at such pictures, think about why you think they would work if you swapped in your friend and her Mini, and once you start to recognize some common elements to such photos you can use those as starting points to compose your own shots.

That being said, if it were me here are some things I would consider. First, a common "rule" is to not place your subject square to the camera. Rather than position a model with her shoulders square to the camera and looking directly at it, you generally want to turn her torso and/or her head. Well, similarly you probably don't want to shoot the Mini from directly in front or from the side, a 3/4 perspective is much more interesting.

Don't feel obligated to use the Mini as a prop. You can make this a model shoot and have the car as a noticeable second subject in the background (as in this image: Sexy Car Model In Golden 1280x800 - Hot Car Models In Tuning World Bodensee 2009, just one that showed up in my first page of google searching). Or you can get low and have her lean against the car so that it's not much more than a backrest as far as her posing in concerned. Trying too hard to incorporate the car will just make the image look forced. Alternatively you can get in close and shoot details on the car, aspects which are distinctly Mini, and incorporate just a hand or a foot to mark it as hers.

I'll also second some of the suggestions above. A polarizing filter may certainly help with glare off the windshield, and having the car freshly washed (even better if freshly waxed, tires cleaned, etc.).

I like that you've scouted locations and want to keep the background simple. If it's the right warehouse/industrial district I think that can work. I don't know if you scouted that location around the time you'll be shooting, but one thing to consider is that with the sun relatively low in the sky in the early morning you can have shadows cast by the buildings which may affect where you'll need to set up and at what angle to shoot. Another alternative for location would be an open space - a park or something, even better if it's wide open and/or at the top of a hill. You won't have to worry about shadows, and you can shoot so that the sky is your background (coincidentally, also as in the image above).

Thanks for all the good tips. I don't have a polorizing filter or a reflector. Not sure why. I'll look into getting a polarizing filter, but honestly, I'm not even sure how to use a reflector. :(

When I scouted the location, it was around 8am. I wanted to make sure the light conditions were pretty similar... otherwise... what's the point, right?

She's more interested in having shots of the car, than shots of her, but we're kind of "experimenting" on the human aspect of it. She's never posed, and I've never shot a person. (Dear Penthouse...)

I do have a few back up locations too, just in case we get down there and there's something in the way, or a dead body, or they tore the place down. But hopefully I won't need them.

First, spend some time at the location. You say you're going to shoot at 8.00am, so go there at 8.00am a few days before (and if possible, bring the client). Look at the lighting, shadow, activity, etc. Bring your gear and look at various scenes with your lenses to determine what might and might not work.

As mentioned, a polarizing filter is essential for any shoot with glass, and I would also invest a couple of dollars in some large sheets of white card stock or Coro-plast to use as reflectors.

Spend an hour or three on line searching Flickr and similar 'sites for posing ideas and run them by the client. It doesn't matter if you have the best idea in the world, if she doesn't like it...

Pay VERY careful attention to your background. Industrial areas can work well, but you don't want pipes "growing" out of her head, or things like that.

I'll be getting on the internets tonight and see if I can't find some examples of shots. I don't like "stealing" ideas, but I guess if it gets my brain working, it's merely a suggestion... right? :(

I don't know... I'd put my baby up against any chromed out skull-ridden flame job. :D

I guess my man parts are just too big to ride a crotch rocket. ;) Honestly, there's nothing in the world like riding, and whatever you do it on is fine by me. As far as a reflector, a piece of white poster board is fine. Your just looking to have something to bounce some light up at your subject to avoid raccoon eyes and heavy shadows on the face. Others here can give you more detailed instruction on placement.

CIMG0134.jpg

Correct, there is nothing in the world like riding. =) I think statistically we are equally as likely to die, too, how fun. hahaha

For the car, 3/4 and turn the wheels, you don't want them all facing the same direction. If it's an old warehouse, look out for glass and stuff... nothing like a fun photo shoot to end in a flat. If she doesn't want to look sexy, keep in mind 'masculine' poses that don't make her look like a dude... arms folded, hands on the hips, perhaps a more serious facial expression? If you've both never done this, maybe have her take a look at the pictures and give ideas too. (maybe this is a bad idea though, I'm not sure.)

Two words.......Fill lighting. Strobed (flash) is best but reflected is better than nothing.

There are some things to take on count:

Are you engaged, married or something else?
Is she engaged, married or something else?

Because, If I were you.... I would like to test the Mini's performance :lol::sexywink:

IMG_4498.png

She plans on having the car detailed beforehand, but I'm going to bring my quick-cleaning stuff just in case.

Thanks for all the good tips. I don't have a polorizing filter or a reflector. Not sure why. I'll look into getting a polarizing filter, but honestly, I'm not even sure how to use a reflector. :(

When I scouted the location, it was around 8am. I wanted to make sure the light conditions were pretty similar... otherwise... what's the point, right?

She's more interested in having shots of the car, than shots of her, but we're kind of "experimenting" on the human aspect of it. She's never posed, and I've never shot a person. (Dear Penthouse...)

I do have a few back up locations too, just in case we get down there and there's something in the way, or a dead body, or they tore the place down. But hopefully I won't need them.

I'll be getting on the internets tonight and see if I can't find some examples of shots. I don't like "stealing" ideas, but I guess if it gets my brain working, it's merely a suggestion... right? :(

Get her in a bikini across the hood, job done :sexywink:

I guess my man parts are just too big to ride a crotch rocket. ;) Honestly, there's nothing in the world like riding, and whatever you do it on is fine by me. As far as a reflector, a piece of white poster board is fine. Your just looking to have something to bounce some light up at your subject to avoid raccoon eyes and heavy shadows on the face. Others here can give you more detailed instruction on placement.

Ha! In all seriousness, if it has two wheels, I'll try it. :D Eventually I want a cruiser. Next bike will probably be something like a KLR that can take me to Alaska or Outer Mongolia. Wouldn't mind having another Duc either... something like a Monster. Just wish I had more money. :)

I'll pick up a piece of white posterboard, and see if that works. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of that. :p

There are some things to take on count:

Are you engaged, married or something else?
Is she engaged, married or something else?

Because, If I were you.... I would like to test the Mini's performance :lol::sexywink:

I'm single and unattached.

She's married to a good friend.

Get her in a bikini across the hood, job done :sexywink:

Not likely, although I think she could totally pull it off.

That being said, I'm currently trolling through a Mini forum which just happens to have a thread called "Girls in Minis". I've gotten quite a few good ideas so far, and still have like 100 pages to go through. :)

That being said, I'm currently trolling through a Mini forum which just happens to have a thread called "Girls in Minis". I've gotten quite a few good ideas so far, and still have like 100 pages to go through.

I'd call that Lurking.:lol:

Dude, you wasted my time reading your post by placing the word "married" towards the end.....!!!

Ok, what lens do you have? Wide angle? 50mm? Telephoto?

Well, obviously you got to pick a good place. She's married right? May be have her hubbie around just in case.
I'd also bring a ladder with you. You can then shoot from higher angles, say with an ultra wide angle down wards on her and the car ( sexy girl laying on the car drool drool...). Don't be afraid to use the flash to try some unconventional shots. Just remember to be aware of how you want the shoot to be after post processing, then plan backwards.

Also, consider some chase shots (you in a car shooting her driving her car), panning shots... whatever that is in motion.

Or, you may want to bring a fan to blow at her for some special effects! No kidding, it can be cool. Not to spoil your plan, but I can imagine purposely blowing the fan at her back wards while she's driving forward, creates a conversation piece.

Sh*t, I WANT TO BE THERE!!!

Yes now you've got an excuse to browse hot girls+car photos all night long.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back