A good start to travel photography?

Discussion in 'The Aspiring Professionals Forum' started by TheBromad, Oct 28, 2015.

1. TheBromad

TheBromad TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know that a good obvious start would be to travel but how do you go about being published in Magazines and things of that nature? Along the lines of photography jobs in general, what sort of jobs can be obtained with a photography talent other than making money for yourself? Just so I have a general idea of what potential hirers look for in a portfolio.

2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Most travel photographers travel at their own expense and hope to recoup back the cost

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Making money is the real talent. Do you know what the difference between a professional photographer and a large pizza is? The large pizza can feed a family!

If you have aspirations of being paid to travel and photograph exotic locations, all I can say is, "Good luck!" You (seriously) have a better chance of winning the lottery or being struck by lightening. Most travel photography these days is either stock, shot with someone's iPhone, or done on spec. Unless you are the 'one-in-a-million' photographer, there's very little opportunity to make money in photography outside of retail & commercial work. Most of the few people who are making money in photojournalism are also reporting as well, so maybe consider throwing a journalism degree into the tickle-trunk before getting too carried away.

4. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Research, research and more research. Pick publications that are in your field of interest, and study, STUDY!!, the photos and the photo sets in those publications (print or net).
    Take photos that you feel would fit and submit them to the publication.
    It's the same process if you're a writer.
    Understand there are probably 500 people doing exactly the same thing so you have to be better at providing what that pub wants.
    If you're an "ARTIST" and taking photos your way then take a different path.

5. TheBromad

TheBromad TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you have suggestions to other fields that hire photographers? I just want need a goal to work towards and can't figure it out lol

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Like I said the only two fields where you stand any more than a snowball's chance are (1) Retail (family portraiture, headshots, etc; and (2) Commercial (advertising, fashion, etc). All of the big "money makers" such as stock andPJ are pretty much gone.

7. gsgary

Photos OK to edit
    If I were you I would look into another industry, I'm in construction and at the moment you can make big money if you know what you are doing

8. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is so wrong, there are probably 5000 or even 50,000 who are doing the exact same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TheBromad

TheBromad TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So then it looks like I have some work to do. If people stopped trying because someone told them that what they're trying to accomplish is too hard, well then I guess the world would be a pretty shitty place lol

10. gsgary

Photos OK to edit
    With digital photography is getting easier so everyone thinks they can buy a camera and make money, stick round till Christmas and see how many threads we get about starting a photography business

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd like to quote someone I know well and respect a great deal for his intelligence and common sense:

................................................................................................................................
    I have travelled a good deal and write about it for myself.
    I looked into writing for publications and could never get anything placed - for money.
    A few small publications were interested in getting stuff 'for the exposure' but most of the time publishers wanted specific work and they wanted to work with people that they knew.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheBromad

TheBromad TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

So networking and getting yourself out there would be a good start?