A Night in the Park + Bonus Self Portrait CC

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Decided to brave the cold a$$ weather on Friday night to work on some night photography and long exposures. Let me know what you think. Personally, they weren't my best work imo, I know I can do better than this :/

5382563265_56e538d607_b.jpg

5381889641_edbc134b6b_b.jpg

5381888473_f36c976321_b.jpg

5382564715_bd8a45f8de_b.jpg

5. This one is messing with my eyes, but I think it's straight lol. I went by the lines in the concrete on the ground.
5382565881_703e2dc5a6_b.jpg

**BONUS** :lol:
First time using my off camera flash on myself and also first self portrait. I messed up though and blew the crap out of my face lol. Kinda pissed about it, but hey, it's a learning process right? It was taken inside the building in #5

5379075630_9a2bbb4c7f_b.jpg

All the pics are very good. i dont see anything wrong with them.

no c&c but that is a gnar jacket. what brand billabong, quicksilver, other? i gotta have one.

Billabong, but I got it last season and I don't know if they still carry it. Good luck finding it though haha :D

Thanks for the comment aprock

Nice shots, what time were they taken at? You use a sigma wide angle right? I got my canon EF-s 10-22 in friday and I Love it, but i understand why people say the can be dangerous if you dont know what your looking for with a wide angle haha.

5 is my fav shot btw, some of them are just a bit dry for my taste. No offense of course.

Where in new orleans is this at? Im from Lafayette, holllllaa.

It's in City Park right outside the City ;)

What exactly do you mean by 'dry' though? Don't pop enough, subject matter not interesting, etc?

They were all shot between 10:30PM and 1AM.

I'm loving the pictures... well, maybe except for #3. This maybe a noob question but... how did you get a purple-ish sky? White balance... did it actually looked like that? >_>

Billabong, but I got it last season and I don't know if they still carry it. Good luck finding it though haha :D

Thanks for the comment aprock

lol thats what i thought it was. we carried that jacket in my store last season. we sold out of them before i could grab one. btw i'm in the Shreveport/Bossier area so it is pretty cool to see people from LA on here.

now for some c&c

i think #1 is the best something about the colors and the mood it sets for really the rest of the shots for me at least.

I'm loving the pictures... well, maybe except for #3. This maybe a noob question but... how did you get a purple-ish sky? White balance... did it actually looked like that? >_>

Truthfully, the sky was almost that same color straight out of the camera. It was just a long exposure + city light pollution + that kind of night I guess lol. Last time I did night shooting in that park, I ended up with similar colored skies.

1 and 4 are the strongest of the set, IMHO. Only thing I would change about 1 is the branch at the top of the frame. If it were all the way on the left side, sort of framing the whole scene, I think it would be a lot more powerful, lending sort of an eerie bayou vibe, if you know what I mean. As it is now, I think it breaks up the continuity of the top edge of the frame...it's a little distracting. Also, the rock formation at the bottom of the frame is a little out of place and distracting, but easy to crop out.

The playground shot is spot-on! Cool use of perspective distortion, and the darkness/eerie vibe of the scene juxtaposes nicely with the fact that it's a playground (fun, cheerful, blah blah blah).

The other shots have some distracting elements (bright lights, weird framing), but all in all, I really like your style...I would like to try some shots like this myself. Thanks for posting.

You know, that was one of my complaints about the shots as well, but the lighting in the park + long exposures, tend to lead to blown out lights. Sucks, but meh, what else am I to do ... rip em out lol.

Well, FWIW, I think it works in many of the shots, but detracts from number 5, in particular.

I know and that flair sucks the life out of it too lol. I tried a crop that knocked that light out, but it didn't have the same wide angle effect which originally drew me to the shot in the first place.

What isn't seen is that there were 4 construction cones in the street that I had to clone out alone with a street sign dead center of the image at the end of the building lol.

The SP is the best shot of the lot, IMO. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back