A pocket P&S

Drake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just realised I need a p&s camera to go with me everywhere my XTi doesn't. I feel like I'm missing a lot of shots with my friends when going out. What would you recommend? The thing I am mostly looking at is image quality - sharpness and dealing with noise. It also should have pretty wide lens - preferably 28mm and optical stabilization. And it must be pocketable. The rest is not really important.

I've pretty much decided it would be the Canon Powershot SD870 IS. Is there anything about it's price I should also consider? The price might be a bit higher.

XTis are so small already, I would not really see the need for something smaller, however, if you need something that is "pocketable", Sony makes a line of cybershots that are thin, fast to start and offer reasonable quality for a P&S.

Apparently (and I am no expert), the Canon G10 is the ultimate P&S. It even has a hotshoe for the strobists out there!

Thanks for a fast reply. The G10 won't fit into my pockets. As for Sony, I love their touch-screen series, but they lack IQ (judging by samples in reviews) and their lens are not so wide. :(

As for the XTi's size - just because there are bigger DSLRs doesn't mean it's a small camera for parties.

Last edited:
I picked up my sister a little Sony Cyber-shot (cannot recall the model, small thin and 7.1mp). For me the IQ is just short of terrible (perhaps I am being overly critical), but she loves it and uses it all the time.

I know the G9 is a grat camera, but I really would like the camera to be smaller. I love the lens of Lx3, but it's a bit too pricy for me. The Sony W170 seems like a good choice, but it's a bit slow - f3.3, most compacts are f2.8

This is a great question. I'm doing the same research and will be interested to find out what you settle on for your purchase.

I was reaserching for the G10 and came across this. Panasonic LX-3 It's the smallest that still shoots RAW.

[EDIT] Sorry, just noticed the it had already been mentioned.

The Canon Powershot series is great. You just need to check which one will fit your pocket better.

i just picked up a cannon sx110is today for the same reason...i dont feel like carrying my d200 in everywhere all the time.

That Panasonic LX-3 looks nice, but I'll still plug my FX-35. I've found it to do much better in low light than the Powershots I've used, and the wide angle is nice too.

Stick with either the G6, G9 or G10 (depending on budget). One reason is that all those P&S cameras shoot Canon Raw thus will fit right into your current digital XTi workflow. You also have a camera that is E-TTL compatible thus can share the EX flashes with your XTi.

[edit].. saw your comment on their size. ah well. [/edit]

I always have my Sony DSC-N2 with me, I have no complaints about the image quality. It is 10 MP, 3" touch screen, and I have an 8GB card in it and an extra battery as well as an underwater housing for those Mexico vacations on the beach. It does come in handy when you dont want to, or cant carry your DSLR with you. The Canon Elphs are nice cameras as well if you want very compact while maintaining good image quality.

I am a research NUT when it comes to anything technology. My cameras, my Ipods, my laptops, EVERYTHING.

In cameras, I had the Fuji Z5, which was a GREAT P&S. The info is here Fuji Z5

I decided to give this one to my hubby (he loves when I upgrade, he LOVES my second hand techy stuff..lol)
I was torn between the Cannon SD1000 Cannon SD1000and the cannon SD1100 Cannon SD1100

Here is the comparasion of the two together: Caparasion of the two

I finally Decided on the cannon SD1100 and could not be happier. GREAT photos.

Good luck in your research.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back