A purchasing delima

Shanman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First, I want to so thank you to everyone on here who takes out their time to help us newbies. I have learned so much by reading these forums. I recently became an owner of the Nikon D5100, with the 18-55 kit lens. I have purchased the book Understanding exposure and am practicing. Here is my question. What would you suggest as my next purchase, a good lens (hopefully 70-300 vr) or should I buy a tripod and bag. I know it sounds weird, but I am working on a tight budget. I would love a nice lens, but probably need the bag and tripod more....lol. I enjoy taking nature pics, walking on trails etc...I probably wont be able to spend this much for a while. Thank you in advance.

If your budget is tight and you don't already have a bag then I definitely think that is the way to go.
I don't use my tripod as much as I thought I would but I also don't shoot landscapes much or Macros either. Not sure about Nikon products because I shoot Canon but a good addition to your equipment would be a 50mm f1.8. It is a great lowlight lens and the model for Canon can be picked up for around $100. I would assume Nikon has a similar option available.

the 35mm 1.8 is a great cheap lens too

I would get the 70-300 VR lens next. Bags are typically overpriced. Tripods? Ehhh....yeah...look for a good low-cost Dolica or Slik. I'd rather have the tele-zoom lens as accessory #2, especially if it is the 70-300 VR Nikkor. I own one...oughtta be great on the D5100.

get this strap Quick Sling it is affordable 25.00 and to me anyway more comfortable then a bag you can clip on a lens case for a 2nd lens & flash
Craigslist for a tripod i have seen some for as little as free and get a good lens.

Lenses, tripods and bags, ESPECIALLY tripods and bags are great things to buy used. You can typically save 15-25% on glass and up to 70% on bags and tripods buying via Craig's List or similar 'sites. (PS. I vote for the 70-300 too!)

Most reactions

Back