abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
4x5-1792.jpg

Very much so :shock: !
Wow. What a find.
Looks like a giant potato perched on that rock.

You chose a nice POV to bring the sunlit "potato-rock" against the dark rock face behind it. Balances your photo nicely, too. So yes:

It is all a question of balance! :clap:

My grand-daughter thought it looked like a potato too.

kt-280-1780.jpg

Law of the GF dictates I can't show one without the other;
k-280-1847.jpg

love the textures, and the light is spot on

Devil's Punchbowl, Los Angeles County Park

400-bw1792.jpg

My conversion skills are poor I'm afraid. My brother's after me to try it more often so I should learn more about how to do it.

Thanks all!

i like it.

I have seen this sort of thing many times in real life and in other pictures.
how does nature put stuff there like that
(ive seen example just to be to have been moved by man)

i like it.

I have seen this sort of thing many times in real life and in other pictures.
how does nature put stuff there like that
(ive seen example just to be to have been moved by man)

I can't find the specifics I have on this area, but basically, sandstone conglomerate (maybe from ancient oceans or alluvial fans) rose to near the surface and earthquakes (faulting) occurred creating cracks (jointing).

Over another "bztgzillion" years these formations moved around and eroded shaping the rounded formations seen here. The punchbowl is located on the San Andreas earthquake fault separating the Northern continental and Pacific plates.

An example of the sandstone conglomerate can be seen in the first grand-daughter photo.

This is way over-simplified but generally is what I remember from the info I have,... somewhere in my pile.

Here's a link explaining the creation of somewhat similar processes near the San Andreas fault in Joshua Tree National Park (roughly 100 miles east).

http://digital-desert.com/joshua-tree-national-park/rockpiles.html

Rambling,...

Wisht I'd a thought a that :banghead:

lol, this is a fantastic shot, walter... almost like a study in light/shadows. i love how there is still detail in both the highlights and shadows of this image. well captured. :thumbup:

lol, this is a fantastic shot, walter... almost like a study in light/shadows. i love how there is still detail in both the highlights and shadows of this image. well captured. :thumbup:

Thanks JTHphoto. This was about the only one that came out well that hike. I'm not matching my vision the last couple months though. Just can't seem to get myself in the right place at the right time. Need to get out and do some camping- hide-n-mope maybe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back