A quick question concerning ISO with night/live photography

Thanks guys, all makes sense. I should of took into account the long exp/tripod factor of many night photos i see in magazines.

Im thinking i might try use a monopod on my next live music shoot so i can slow the shutter speed down to 1/60 and try using lower than 800 ISO so i get minimal grain.

Ben.

Biggest thing I think with live shots is having a flash.
Having a flash and being able to bounce it off the walls or ceilings really do great things with musician shots

It can get rid of the factor of having to have a tripod/ monopod.
Using the right exposure you can freeze the musicians and capture a whole lot of character.
You can also capture a lot of the characteristics of the natural stage lighting.

ISO is the film speed. you can do night photography of static objects like buildings at a low iso because you can take a long exposure (like 30secs) without screwing up a picture. But inside with people moving around you cannot take that long a pic so you have to up the film speed to compensate so you can actually get the picture. The amount of grain really depends more on how nice your sensor is.

plus you can get a nikon d700 with a sensor that can do iso 6400. If you wait until the d800 comes out you can get one for a pretty decent price or you can used.

Most reactions

Back