timeshadowed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
timeshadowed.comlu.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I thought that I would share 3 of my photos that I took while walking in the woods. Feel free to comment on each of them. I know that 1 and 2 are almost alike, but wanted comments on the different views.

Thanks

Woods 1
4847719134_985e0f3a66.jpg

Woods 2
4847719138_7bcefcc2cb.jpg

Woods 3
4847719146_00eff674cf.jpg

To be honest, I don't think I'm seeing what you were. There doesn't appear to be a distinct subject in any of the images, and the blown highlights in the background are very distracting. Perhaps some insight into what you think of them would help us provide the best critique.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

^^^+1. They're just not terribly interesting.

they are some beautiful photo's from walking around in the woods the only thing is a lot of the background is a little blown out. I would say try again and lowering your iso's or close your apeture a little. I would also post process a little and see if you can enhance the color a little bit

Last edited:
The place where I took the photos is in a tiny park which includes a short trail beside the river.

This is my first digital camera and is just a small point and shoot type, as my budget will not allow me to purchase a digital that I really would like. As I mentioned in my other thread, I have taken many slide film pictures from my mountain vacations through the years. One problem that I'm having, is with the viewing screen. It has no actual viewfinder like the film cameras do. When out in the bright sunlight, I'm almost always shooting the picture 'blind' because the view screen just fades away.

I have asked in the store if they make a shade box attachment for any cameras that are made like this, and all I get is the 'blank stare' as if I'm crazy or something. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

It's not the camera, it's the subject matter.

Find an interesting subject?

The main subject of photos 1 and 2 is the fallen log. That was why I took the picture. I love taking pictures of trees, tree trunks, and fallen logs. The different wood patterns just fascinate me.

The main subject of photo 3 was the broken stump.

I'm also trying to learn how to draw. So many of my photos with the digital have been taken as resource material for that project. One can place a tree or log just about anywhere in an art drawing/painting. I started out using colored pencils, but found out that I needed to learn graphite too.

What I do alot of but may in this case not help is get down on the ground and get shots from down there. It adds dimensions and feel that standing and snapping does not get. You should also get a book on angles and thirds in photography. I think you have some potential works of art in this location but I would get a book study angles and thirds go back to the same place and then see if you can do some cool stuff. Also look on the ground and under logs for things to take pictures of.

Find an interesting subject?

The main subject of photos 1 and 2 is the fallen log. That was why I took the picture. I love taking pictures of trees, tree trunks, and fallen logs. The different wood patterns just fascinate me.

Then you need to find a way to convey that to the viewer, succesfully.
These images are very harshly lit, and then rather flat too.
They are rather random images of things anyone would see walking through the woods.

I'm also trying to learn how to draw. So many of my photos with the digital have been taken as resource material for that project. One can place a tree or log just about anywhere in an art drawing/painting. I started out using colored pencils, but found out that I needed to learn graphite too.

Painting and drawing pretty much have similar needs as far as composition, and impact, as photography. No, you can't plunk a tree down just anywhere in an "art" painting or drawing.

Your journey is long.

No, you can't plunk a tree down just anywhere in an "art" painting or drawing.

I understand that. What my aim was that day was just to capture the texture and shape of the logs so that latter on I could use them to compose a composite sketch using many photos as a reference point. I've seen this idea done in the art forums that I read and wanted to try it out for myself. I didn't have a special sketch or drawing in mind when I took the photos other than building a reference library of my own photos.

Thanks for your ideas. I do not have many photos taken with this digital and I admit, most of what I've taken so far are not very good. Just getting to know how close or far away I have to be from the subject to get a clear picture is a learning curve for me right now since there are no real settings on this camera beyond closeup, far away, and a zoom feature.

I just wanted to post something, so choose those 3. In the future, I hope to be able to post better pictures.

My problem right now seems to be a lack of time to scout out new subject matter with the digital. I tend to just go to work, come home, eat, sleep and begin the boring cycle again the next day. But I will look at the library for some books to read on photography.

I would suggest, since you're starting out here, learn the rule of thirds, and what the rule of thirds power points are. Make yourself follow this rule for a couple weeks. This will force you to have something specific as your subject. Then, you can get creative and put your subject wherever you want.

I'm going to say that you need to focus on either drawing or photography, two things is a bit much to be doing at the same time. Take separate trips for each thing, so one day go out looking for things to draw and take some photographs that show detail but are not very interesting as a photograph, so zoom in on the bark and not have a whole picture. The other day go out and take photos. Focus on composition more using various rules, start with the rule of thirds that was earlier suggested, it is useful for drawing too! Look at things in a different way, with different angles, look up, down, left, right.. everywhere!

Little Liddell,

Thanks for your comments. I've been trying to learn to draw for about 6 years now, but still having problems drawing my basic shapes (I need to trace everything). I did sketching while I was on the phone at work to relax from all the office tension. So I've just about concluded that I will never be the artist that I hoped when I began my journey.

And as for photos, I live in the city and never leave it these days. I'm really struggling to find subject mater in the city that interests me. I have zero interest in taking people or city scape photos. I'm a mountain lover, but at least 1000 miles away from one. :( So that kinda lets that idea out for now. All there is to take photos of in the city that I'm interested in are trees. I did take some flower pix today from a friends deck. I don't even have these available to me, as I live in an apartment.

Maybe I'll focus on still life that I set up myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back