A video I shot of how the Canon buttons work

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's claimed that the buttons on the Canon system are difficult to use or otherwise require two hands to operate. I quickly shot this video to show that such claims are false.

There's no reaching across the camera body with the left hand to hit buttons. The buttons are cleanly laid out in a very logical format which makes it easy to find them with your index finger while keeping the camera at your eye.

All the critical functions with a Canon can be easily accessed. I find nothing confusing or particularly difficult about their operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good vid, but it's subjective. My own opinion is that Canon's menus and buttons are a nightmare to access compared to Nikon.

I bet the Canon guys say the same about the Nikon bodies:lol:

I'm sure that when you're used to either brand, it's really not difficult to navigate the functions.

Good vid, but it's subjective. My own opinion is that Canon's menus and buttons are a nightmare to access compared to Nikon.

I bet the Canon guys say the same about the Nikon bodies:lol:

I'm sure that when you're used to either brand, it's really not difficult to navigate the functions.
Pretty much. When I played with a friends D300 I found trying to change ISO to be more difficult than with my Canon. Even he removed the camera from his eye to accomplish this task and was surprised I could quickly and easily do it with my camera at my eye in the shooting position.

I find the Nikon system so be cluttered. I don't like having to use my left hand (two hands) to select ISO or WB when I can do all of that with my Canon using my right hand.

Note on the D300 how these critical buttons are clustered closely together and on the left side of the body which does force the user to use their left hand to make adjustments whereas the Canon system doesn't require your left hand at all.

00298_nikon-d300-digital-camera.jpg

A lot of the erganomic complaints are simply because people get used to one style of control and then try changing (they borrow a friends camera or something like that) so of course they find that they are slower and harder to use - the buttons are not "in the right places" and simple menu driven options are "hard to find".

Give them a good month with the camera and they would speed up a lot.

As for the formatting part I really don't get why this is even an issue. I mean how many times do you need to quickly reformat a card in the camera? I do keep shots on my card after a shoot till I go on the next one, but even then I just clear the cards before I get there and no problem, I don't need it done in lightning speed - besides quickbutton acces would make it easy to mistakingly do it when you really don't want to.

The only thing I don't like is that the mode dial in on the wrong side - esp true if your using a longer telephoto or a zoom lens (when your left hand is out in front). The on/off is a bit of a pain, but since batteries keep for ages in powersave mode its not much of a problem to just leave the camera on all day

eeew left hand to control ISO and other features? Ok fine on a 50mm lens - but heck if I'm handholding a 70-200mm f2.8 I really really don't want to have to hold that onehanded! A 300mm lens and gah my right arm would fall off

:chatty:

lol - one of these days your gonna get tired of me talking about canon and shoot me when we go out shooting.
Well, I ALMOST joined the Nikon gang with the release of the D300s. Now that the 7D is out there's no way I would even consider it. If anything, I would grab a 7D. I'm going to hope and pray the 1DMk4 releases before the 7D hits the shelves so I can save me from myself. :) I want the 1DMk4 really-really bad.

As for the formatting part I really don't get why this is even an issue. I mean how many times do you need to quickly reformat a card in the camera? I do keep shots on my card after a shoot till I go on the next one, but even then I just clear the cards before I get there and no problem, I don't need it done in lightning speed - besides quickbutton acces would make it easy to mistakingly do it when you really don't want to.
Yup, dare I say I never format a card while I'm shooting. That's a catastrophe looking for a place to happen. I don't know anyone I shoot with who formats cards in the field. That's a good way to lose something you need... you should have done that back at home or the office.

Even then, let's say it took 6 seconds to delete a card on a Canon (which it doesn't) and it only took 5 seconds for Nikon, is that really a selling point? Talk about grasping for straws. :)

The same is true with the power switch. I *don't* want it under my shutter release. I don't need it there. I don't run around turning my camera on and off 50 times a shoot. I turn it on when I start and I turn it off when I'm done. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from constantly cycling the power switch on your camera while shooting. I would rather have it in an out of the way place, like on Canon, so it's not inadvertently switched at the wrong time.

eeew left hand to control ISO and other features? Ok fine on a 50mm lens - but heck if I'm handholding a 70-200mm f2.8 I really really don't want to have to hold that onehanded! A 300mm lens and gah my right arm would fall off
I'm with you there, the Canon system certainly seems far more logical to me.

I've never understood the defense on this or similar discussions (Ford/Chevy). If everyone liked the same thing there would be no need for other brands.

Enjoy what you have, if you don't - switch.

Honestly I don't like any of the mode buttons being on the left hand side at all - all shooting critical buttons should be on the lefthandside where the camera hand can reach them. I bet on reason a lot of shooters use full manual is because its quicker to change settings than it is to pull the left arm back to change the shooting mode ;)

Its something that I feel will take some getting used to when moving up from my 400D where there are no shooting critical buttons on the left hand side, save for the menu ones which are quite fine there (the only menu options I really need to change quick are to turn backbutton focusing on/off (since it uses the FEL button on my 400D, not a problem on upper models where they are separate buttons) and to turn mirror lockup on/off (really I want a button for this!!)

I've never understood the defense on this or similar discussions (Ford/Chevy). If everyone liked the same thing there would be no need for other brands.

Enjoy what you have, if you don't - switch.
I totally agree.

But when someone goes on a rant about how impossible the Canon system is and how it requires two hands to do certain things that only require one - trying to dissuade a new camera buyer from a Canon - I have to speak up and set the record straight.

If anything, it's Nikon that requires two hands to operate for these critical functions, unless you have such a huge hand you can reach those controls on the left side of the camera while holding it in your right hand. :lol:

Im just waiting for the guy from the other thread to pop his head in here lol.

OT: I just realized you got you user name changed lol.

Im just waiting for the guy from the other thread to pop his head in here lol.

OT: I just realized you got you user name changed lol.
Yeah, I didn't want to use my real name anymore now that I have a company name.

If Derrel wants to post a video showing me how he changes his WB and ISO settings on a D700 or D300 with only his right hand, I would love to see it. Until then, I'm at a loss as to why he said the Canon system is flawed for requiring the use of two hands for these functions when clearly it doesn't.

Yeah most of these 'complaints' are regarding how 'you have to take off the 5d from your eye to turn it off and on'.

Um, keeping it in standby does not take much battery at all, and do you really need to keep turning it off and on again? Does it make SUCH a difference? It's not like the 5D is a sports camera -- but if it is used like one, then keep it on. :D

I mean, even with my XSi You can change ISO, SS, Aperture and other stuff without taking the camera off your eye lol.

I just saw that topic where some people were arguing about which brand is the best. It seems to me that the "my God (or religion or whatever) is better than yours" crap also exist when it comes to photography equipment which is just as ridiculous. Both manufacturers make good cameras and it's really a personal preference if someone like one more than the other and I think some people in here really should stop convincing others that their cameras are better and trying to force their opinions on others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back