A video I shot of how the Canon buttons work

i just have some questions about all of this.

Do a lot of photographers only have one hand or something??

Are we only allowed to have one hand on the body at all times?

if you use two hands are you a No0b?!

Am I better than you because i can only use one hand?

Its funny how irrelevant all these facts about why nikon is better than canon or visa versa really are. Everyone knows my disposable is better than you.

I believe the one hand thing was related to another thread.

Yeah... this whole my camera is better than yours thing makes just as much sense as my God is better than yours.

and I remade my signature :D
nikonordie.png

Dear "InTempus" So, you freely admit you were afraid to use your own,real name when creating a post ? Man, that's an incredible chickens*** maneuver; thankfully you didn't sully your former posting name of tharmsen. Do you plan on using the name InTempus from now on? Is InTempus your new user name for all posts, or will you be reverting to the name tharmsen when not creating hit-and-run videos? Just wondering.

Why not show us how you can press the Canon depth of field preview button while hand-holding a long lens like a 100-400 or your 300/2.8? Oh, right...

Why not show us a video of how you can turn the 5D on with one hand? Oh,right...you can't.

Why not address the real issue: Canon uses THREE buttons, and TWO wheels, to control SIX camera functions? Not dedicated buttons, but a 1987-era system they invented when they dumped their users? (1987 marked the fourth new lens mount Canon had forced on its users since 1959). Nikon uses simple,dedicated buttons and simply went with a more-ergonomically direct, less-modal interface than Canon did when Canon dumped the FD mount and went all-EOS without warning.

Why not show us your 5D's BUILT-IN remote flash commander? Oh, wait, Canon doesn't have a camera that can remotely control external flashes. But many Nikons do though....why didn't you address that aspect of my post?

Why not demonstrate the difficulty of using the Multi-Controller Direct AF area assignment system on the 5D--it's a pathetic imitation of the system Nikon invented. Why not show us how rinky-dink that thing is?

Why not show us the missing AF-ON button on your 5D,and tell us how that lack of a control is compares with a Nikon that has an AF-ON thumb button?

Why not discuss the ALL of the points I brought up,and why not do it in the same thread? Please discuss Canon's color-blind light metering in the 40D versus the color matrix metering in the D90. Oh,right....

Why start a new thread and then deliberately ignore the majority of the functional differences I brought up in a comparison of the 40D versus the D90? Not with the 5D, but the 40D and the D90.

Why not show users how the Canon 40D or the 5D's front control dial switches between shutter,aperture,shutter,and program shift, depending upon which exposure mode one is in? In my car, one pedal is ALWAYS the gas, the other is the brake. Canon switches the gas and the brakes four times in four different gears, so to speak. Please make a video showing the beauty of that system and explain how unpredictability is really a feature.

Why not show us a video of your 5D's in-viewfinder system....its stripped down LED readouts do not even tell the user what ISO is in use, or what exposure mode the camera is set to, when looking through the viewfinder! Lame! (I own a 5D, just FYI--great sensor, el-cheap-o body though).

You cherry-picked the post nicely,and side-skipped areas where you obviously don't have any comparative experience to offer, and you skipped areas where Canon bodies simply do not offer the features comparable (or even lesser-spec'd) Nikon's offer. I own a 20D and 5D; both are basically a $350 EOS Elan body that has been fitted with digital guts. Same slow mirror, same slow shutter lag, same level of body control.

I applaud Canon ripping off Nikon's AF-ON control button, and trying to imitate the positive,predictable,reliable 4-way controller Nikon invented to shift AF area in use. I applaud Canon for now some 13 years later deciding to improve its light metering by adding color-vision to the meter like Nikon did in the 1990's. I've owned both Nikon and Canon bodies (three canons!) for almost five years concurrently,and have 27 years with Nikon alone. I'm perfectly willing to concede areas of Canon weakness,and to talk about them honestly.

Now, why not go back and create a quickie video of the ALL the features mentioned that Canon has a problem with, ergonomically or technically? I would love it if you show group how Canon alternates the functions between the front and rear dials as the metering mode is changed! Gas? Brake? which one will it be? Will I get gas, or brake? With Canon, it shifts!

I would love it if you could show us how you can pick up a Canon and predict with 100 percent certainty WHICH control will change WHICH setting when you have not made an ISO or drive mode adjustment for say, an hour. You have six buttons, each controlling two functions. Can you predict which mode each button was LAST pressed? Can you predict with 100 percent certainty which control, rear wheel or front dial, will be needed to shift the shutter speed? Answers....no, and no. Look thru the 5D...the exposure mode in use is not even shown inside the finder!

Please, create a video to demonstrate the above aspects of my original post.
I am sure the long-time Nikon users will get a kick out of seeing the confusing system with three buttons, two functions each.

Ae you aware that newer,better Nikons have a button mounted on the front of the camera, near the area of the DOF preview button, which can be assigned a function shift? Press the button,and the user-dedicated control automatically makes the desired function active,or makes the shift in the camera's setup?

InTempus or tharmsen....hmmm...dual-identity....nice!

Some body decided to start whining again I see...

Some of us actually learn how to use our cameras after a week of owning them. I can't help it you haven't figured out where the controls are on your Canon cameras yet.

Last edited:
i just have some questions about all of this.

Do a lot of photographers only have one hand or something??

Are we only allowed to have one hand on the body at all times?

if you use two hands are you a No0b?!

Am I better than you because i can only use one hand?

Its funny how irrelevant all these facts about why nikon is better than canon or visa versa really are. Everyone knows my disposable is better than you.

Apparently some one hates Canon so much that they decided to nitpick every opinion that they though was wrong and parade as fact. I mean, I can operate my 5D MKII with one hand. It takes two for every single detail, but isn't Nikon the same way?

I just think it's funny that he's going to whine about it so much in every single thread in a public forum. If that person wanted to be a useful member, they'd probably stay out of all the "This or that" camera threads and actually contribute to forums with real photography questions.

But then again, I did mention "useful".

If that person wanted to be a useful member, they'd probably stay out of all the "This or that" camera threads and actually contribute to forums with real photography questions.

That's hilarious coming from someone who posts something similar to 'Canon rules, Nikon sucks' over and over again. Perhaps you could benefit by taking your own advice.

"Canon is the way to go. Nikon makes absolute crap. -Village Idiot"

"Canon is better any day of the week. Nikon is just so weak and their lens selection is crap. -Village Idiot"

"No, Nikon is crap. Anything that says Canon on it is her best bet. 40D. -Village Idiot"

Not sure what happened to you, perhaps someone hacked your account - you were actually pretty helpful and showed some intelligence at one point in time.

Last edited:
Some of us actually learn how to use our cameras after a week of owning them. I can't help it you haven't figured out where the controls are on your Canon cameras yet.
What I can't figure out is why someone who hates Canon so much that they write multiple novels about how bad they suck... then turns right around and buys another one.

Why own them if they suck so bad? Why in the world would you keep buying them? Why would one never take the time to actually learn how to use the camera(s)?

Given his off the wall comments about how complex the camera is to use with bogus claims of everything being a two handed operation (when the same functions really are two handed operations on Nikon), I have to wonder if he even owns a Canon camera. If you spent more than 15 minutes with one you would realize most of this non-sense is just that - non-sense.

If he weren't so consumed with hatred and if he could resist the urge to make childish posts we might actually have a civil discourse about the subject. As it stands, he'll only be ignored going forward.

If that person wanted to be a useful member, they'd probably stay out of all the "This or that" camera threads and actually contribute to forums with real photography questions.

That's hilarious coming from someone who posts something similar to 'Canon rules, Nikon sucks' over and over again. Perhaps you could benefit by taking your own advice.

"Canon is better any day of the week. Nikon is just so weak and their lens selection is crap. -Village Idiot"

"No, Nikon is crap. Anything that says Canon on it is her best bet. 40D. -Village Idiot"

Not sure what happened to you, perhaps someone hacked your account - you were actually pretty helpful and showed some intelligence at one point in time.

I still am. I just have to find a post worth being serious about. :er:

What I can't figure out is why someone who hates Canon so much that they write multiple novels about how bad they suck... then turns right around and buys another one.

Why own them if they suck so bad? Why in the world would you keep buying them? Why would one never take the time to actually learn how to use the camera(s)?

Given his off the wall comments about how complex the camera is to use with bogus claims of everything being a two handed operation (when the same functions really are two handed operations on Nikon), I have to wonder if he even owns a Canon camera. If you spent more than 15 minutes with one you would realize most of this non-sense is just that - non-sense.

If he weren't so consumed with hatred and if he could resist the urge to make childish posts we might actually have a civil discourse about the subject. As it stands, he'll only be ignored going forward.

I made hot sauce last week. I was surprised at how it turned out. When I get back from vacation this week, I'm going to make another batch with smoked jalapenos and habanero peppers and bacon fat. Chipotle bacon hot sauce. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :drool:

By the way, I'm flattered.

I'm pretty sure VI is being facetious.

hmm maybe I haven't read some of his posts but I don't really think he is the douche in here who is trying to force his opinions on others and keep making threads about how much Canon sucks.

John_Edward_awarded_on_South_Park.jpg

in b4 thread lock!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back