About Natural light photography. So I got to wondering about things. Exposure

LightSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So anywho, I red all thru that natural light phographer thread.
I Kinda said screw it and stayed out of it making maybe one comment , that is, to learn both.
But what I saw in there were people stuck on flash.
Like that's the only way.........and since this is a beginners forum, I thought I might add some input on that, if I may.

You see, once you start playing with flash, it's like real easy to get stuck on flash.
Even when the obvious is right in front of you.
I thought this may benefit the beginners who continue to hear all this stuff about, BUY A FLASH........YOU MUST HAVE A FLASH FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO!
Don't listen to all that crap. It's blatantly false.
There's a time to flash and a time not to flash.
Oh yeah......I almost forgot. When things are wet, and you're flashing, Look out!

And away we go. Obviously not the best image I've ever produced. It was one of those, " let me see if I can make this look real, in camera, with very little post processing" moments.
I'm never going to do anything with this image, I just wanted the practice.
In the rain. Oh yeah almost forgot. I don't have photoshop. I wish I did.

Natural light.

6873594481_5b51b1b142_z.jpg

Moral of the story: Flash aint gonna get you a hot chick. And if you're a woman, It aint gonna get you a good looking , smart, handsome and funny fella like me.
I am LightSpeed. And I approve this message. LightSpeed be Dialed in baby........
MIRROR BREAK!

Last edited:
To me it looks like flat artificial light on the subject. It lacks some depth. How did you light it? reflector? direct sunlight?

To me it looks like flat artificial light on the subject. It lacks some depth. How did you light it? reflector? direct sunlight?

Does it really?
Thank you. I love you bro. I'm gonna friend you.

To shoot in natural light properly, it requires careful planning and some knowledge of the metering system, or if you can just find open shades. :D Supplemental light sources allow you to have more "control" of the light and can be more creative. With a flash, you can decide to go no flash if you don't want to. Without a flash, it's hard get more light if you need it.

One off camera flash flash to fill in the shadows...
6747453667_3885c5bd57_b.jpg

No flash + spot metering...
6873813581_1820d30b89_b.jpg

To shoot in natural light properly, it requires careful planning and some knowledge of the metering system, or if you can just find open shades. :D Supplemental light sources allow you to have more "control" of the light and can be more creative. With a flash, you can decide to go no flash if you don't want to. Without a flash, it's hard get more light if you need it.

One off camera flash flash to fill in the shadows...

No flash + spot metering...

Agreed..........except for the washed out foreground in the second image.
And you and me are already buddies. lol

Don't you get mad at me neither.
Is that clear?

Agreed..........except for the washed out foreground in the second image.
And you and me are already buddies. lol

I tend to take the definition of washed out as over exposed. In this case, the foreground out of focus area was created intentionally by using a long focal length, to create a soft out of focus and candid looks. ;)

I tend to take the definition of washed out as over exposed. In this case, the foreground out of focus area was created intentionally by using a long focal length, to create a soft out of focus and candid looks. ;)

Umm, I was looking at this. And the over exposure above it.

6873881397_72d5e6988b_b.jpg

That's part of shooting in natural light covering a wide area. At times you gotta compromise on something depending what you want as the end result. Most natural light photographers I've seen will blow out the highlights in the background to compromise for the exposure on the person's face, in a high dynamic range situation. I metered off the ground in this case and got pretty close to what I wanted. Heck, the first picture I completely blew out a spot on her right shoulder... totally missed that and too lazy to fix since I didn't send that pic to her anyway... lol

That's part of shooting in natural light covering a wide area. At times you gotta compromise on something depending what you want as the end result. Most natural light photographers I've seen will blow out the highlights in the background to compromise for the exposure on the person's face, in a high dynamic range situation. I metered off the ground in this case and got pretty close to what I wanted. Heck, the first picture I completely blew out a spot on her right shoulder... totally missed that and too lazy to fix since I didn't send that pic to her anyway... lol
You know how it goes with this shyt bro.
Aint no such thing as a perfect image.
And look man, I aint gettin nassy with you.
You'll look for this next time.
That image is Over exposed and you know it is. lol
It would have been worse if youd have thrown in some of that thar " fill flash".
lol
Now come on dude, gimme some love here bro, cause you know I'm on your side.

Does it really?
Thank you. I love you bro. I'm gonna friend you.

I feel the love. :lol:

That's what it's supposed to be all about bro.
Have fun with a camera, learn some shyt, from everybody. Not just me.
Discuss it, clown around with it, joke around with em and have fun.
Best damn way in the world to learn.

I always look for blown highlights especially with outdoor pictures, but a little bit of under expose or over expose in some area is not really a big concern to me. If it's a studio shoot then that's a whole different story.

There's no side, only personal preference. lol

I always look for blown highlights especially with outdoor pictures, but a little bit of under expose or over expose in some area is not really a big concern to me. If it's a studio shoot then that's a whole different story.

There's no side, only personal preference. lol
Here?
Are you kidding me?
You better put ur game face on son.
You know what I'm talkin about. I don't have to tell you.
We got us a few Egg spurts here.
What up boy?
Put that game face on.

Here?
Are you kidding me?
You better put ur game face on son.
You know what I'm talkin about. I don't have to tell you.
We got us a few Egg spurts here.
What up boy?
Put that game face on.

Not sure what's this all about... :er:

Here's another image of mine with several over exposed areas, yet I still enjoy it.

6138404939_36eb3bacd7_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back