About Natural light photography. So I got to wondering about things. Exposure

Here's one with several under exposed areas...

6275492647_13cac1eecf_b.jpg

This one is probably as close to a proper exposure as I'll ever get. I didn't get a chance to remove the distracting hair and blemishes. lol Anywho, sorry to bore you all with my incorrectly exposed and badly composed pictures. We can get back to natural light photography discussion now. :D

6874161947_f9f4441d81_b.jpg

This one is probably as close to a proper exposure as I'll ever get. I didn't get a chance to remove the distracting hair and blemishes. lol Anywho, sorry to bore you all with my incorrectly exposed and badly composed pictures. We can get back to natural light photography discussion now.
icon_biggrin.gif
6874190889_0494def966_z.jpg

Kiss.

Last edited:
To shoot in natural light properly, it requires careful planning and some knowledge of the metering system, or if you can just find open shades. :D Supplemental light sources allow you to have more "control" of the light and can be more creative. With a flash, you can decide to go no flash if you don't want to. Without a flash, it's hard get more light if you need it.

One off camera flash flash to fill in the shadows...
6747453667_3885c5bd57_b.jpg

No flash + spot metering...
6873813581_1820d30b89_b.jpg

The deliberate overexposure adds to the image in this one, gives it a sense of something more than reality itself! Photography isn't about sticking to as many guidelines as some of the people will have you think. The overexposure here adds to the image. As you also show in your landscape image.

Because we all know it's impossible to take photos of water with strobes.

I don't know, I guess I'm just not scared of using a flash and I like being able to shoot when I want and where I want as opposed to working around the sun's schedule.

I do what it takes to get the image I want! If that requires natural (Ambient) light.. I use it. If it requires flash, I use it! I find the BEST images are often a mixture of both... because then I can control the light (more options) and get what I WANT... not what I am STUCK WITH ! :)

Last edited:
Shooting natural light it is perfectly acceptable to blow out areas of the frame when necessary to have a correct exposure on your subjects. The photo posted above with the flowers and the couple is a very nice photo and that small bright area, does not appear to be blown, is no issue at all.
Shooting flash it is harder to get away with having blown sections.
Light is a tool, use whichever works best for the situation.
For me, I shoot a lot of flash and a lot of natural light, depending on my location and whatever light I am blessed with at the time.

To the op, if you say your photo is natural light I have no reason to not believe you...it does however appear to have been flashed.

1. ALL light is natural. There is NO SUCH THING as a synthetic photon.

2. Photography is nothing more than recording light. Good photography requires a knowlege of HOW to control and modify light. A photographer saying that he/she will not/should not use a flash is like a carpenter who says that he/she will not use a hammer, but rather will drive nails with their fist because it's "natural carpentry".

2. Photography is nothing more than recording light. Good photography requires a knowlege of HOW to control and modify light. A photographer saying that he/she will not/should not use a flash is like a carpenter who says that he/she will not use a hammer, but rather will drive nails with their fist because it's "natural carpentry".

I have fist like HAMMERS!!! :x

I have fist like HAMMERS!!! :x
Cheaper than getting married I suppose....

Shooting natural light it is perfectly acceptable to blow out areas of the frame when necessary to have a correct exposure on your subjects. The photo posted above with the flowers and the couple is a very nice photo and that small bright area, does not appear to be blown, is no issue at all.
For me, I shoot a lot of flash and a lot of natural light, depending on my location and whatever light I am blessed with at the time.

To the op, if you say your photo is natural light I have no reason to not believe you...it does however appear to have been flashed.

See, I agree with you on every point that you've made here.
For the most part.
The first image, no flash was used.
The second image......... Was flashed.

6876405003_95089983fe_z.jpg

What the photographer can do light wise is very much dependent on the type of photography being done.

A landscape photographer isn't going to have the same lighting considerations that a portrait photographer is going to have.

By the same token a professional retail photographer shooting on location, or in a studio using window light , will have time and scheduling constraints that substantially effect lighting choices.

See, I agree with you on every point that you've made here.
For the most part.
The first image, no flash was used.
The second image......... Was flashed.

6876405003_95089983fe_z.jpg

For those of you who haven't come right out and called me a liar.
lol

For those of you who haven't come right out and called me a liar.
lol

You should definitely diffuse the light source next time. The lighting looks harsh, hence, people mistaken it for flash... ;)

Interesting concept.
I don't know if it gets any more diffused than cloudy/overcast and raining.
Maybe stick a softbox over the end of the lens? lol

Most reactions

Back