Abstract Automotive Photography

Billhyco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was asked today if I would be interested in doing some photos for a local highline car dealership in town. In their showroom they have two large and very blank walls that they want to decorate in a classy, yet stylish manner. They want to put a collage of sorts up on the wall in poster sized abstract automotive photos. I am here to ask everyone for a few tips or suggestions if I decide to take this job. I have looked around on stock photo sites and I think I have an idea of what they want, just not sure i have the "eye" to capture it. Any tips or ideas are very much appreciated. I am going to try and find a car show this weekend to try it out and just see what I can come up with. Until then.... I need your help

edit: by tips I mean ways to capture the abstract/classy/still automotive look they are wanting

Thanks!

You only "think" you know what they want. None of us have seen the space, nor have talked with your potential clients, plus you're involved in a highly esotric genre "abstract automotive images".

There are probably 6 people in the US that routinely shoot abstract images of cars.

I agree it's disappointing none of them are active members in this forum.

Last edited:
Check out notbland.com. He does some pretty amazing work and some of it may be that abstract point of view that you're looking for. :D

Here's an example of his:
Murcielago_LP640_Detail_III_by_notbland.jpg

credit to notbland, of course.

Might want to check this guy, too: dejz0r on deviantART

Just takes pictures at angles at which you wouldn't normally approach a car. Try to capture the details that are usually lost in a "full-body" shot of the cars (e.g., any elegant curves in the body panels or interior, minute headlight details, taillight details, any flowing lines of the interior, and so on.)

Most of those seem pretty zoomed in or up close. If that's what you're after, just try to replicate. Grab as much detail you can about parts of the car instead of the entire car.

Sounds like a great gig. I would arrange to have her cars to shoot over the next 2 weekends. Get the cars in some nice light and have at it. These shots will take a lot longer then you think, so just shoot, shoot and shoot. Focus on curves and shapes. Try and work in 2 or 3 colors for maximum impact. You will need an assistant and lots of foamcore for bouncing of the light.

Love & Bass

What kind of car dealership is it? BMW? Audi? ect.. I would guess the best car/truck that you should really shoot of the said dealership is thier flagship auto.

Sounds like a fun challenge, good luck

you are very lucky to have this opportunity! I would love such a chance as cars are an obsession of mine. VERY FEW enthusiasts are going to know that that is the murcielago strictly based on the tailights. As a fanatic I easily made the connection and most of the auctions bidders will know as well.

Rig shots are always amazing if you can do them well. I have plenty of websites of automotive enthusiasts and their expert photo work pm me!

25 years as a car photographer grand prix to advertising I think I am qualified to answer, when shooting outside the light is the most important thing early morning light reflecting in a car wing or radiator grill can be lovely, lighting a car outside is very difficult and time consuming, so try to stick with naturel light and work with the reflections in the cars.

Seems by the few stock shots you linked to that you should look into a macro lens or at least a lens with a really close up focusing distance.

They are more detail shots of cars that abstracts. Abstract would be cool to, but in my mind, its an abstract so you wouldn't know it was a car.

The same rules of photography apply... look for repeating paterns, leading lines, rule of thirds, triangles, s shapes and so on... as these are things that are appealing to the human eye. The only thing is that you are limited in working with the car.

Think about shots of the outside of the car and maybe of the inside of the car.

Look for current models and specific looks or features these models have. If you play our cards right, this might be a repeating thing on a yearly basis (or whenever a new model comes out)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back