According to Vogue: Brides should say "I don't" to professional wedding photography

Meh. Did anyone read the actual Vogue article? It's typical fashion magazine rubbish. I wouldn't let it get your camera straps in a tangle.

I didn't bother to read the article, but I can say three things without doubt:
  1. My wedding was the most important day in my life;
  2. My professionally taken wedding photos are among my most cherished;
  3. Having a pro capture these images was a no-brainer.
There is literally NO argument one could fashion that would convince me otherwise. I am not a brilliant photographer, but I certainly know enough photography to realize that great photos don't happen accidentally very often, and that a competent wedding photographer MORE than earns his/her keep.

By all means, work to keep a wedding under control financially (it should be about the union of two soul- not a bridezilla production)- but DON'T trivialize the importance of a good wedding photographer.

For those who have gone without a photographer and gotten away with it- good for you. My thought is that it's an unnecessary risk. If it works- you have saved a bit of cash that will be spent on something else soon enough, but if it fails you have forever lost the opportunity to have images that you really really should have for the rest of your life.

There is literally NO argument one could fashion that would convince me otherwise. I am not a brilliant photographer, but I certainly know enough photography to realize that great photos don't happen accidentally very often, and that a competent wedding photographer MORE than earns his/her keep.

By all means, work to keep a wedding under control financially (it should be about the union of two soul- not a bridezilla production)- but DON'T trivialize the importance of a good wedding photographer.

For those who have gone without a photographer and gotten away with it- good for you. My thought is that it's an unnecessary risk. If it works- you have saved a bit of cash that will be spent on something else soon enough, but if it fails you have forever lost the opportunity to have images that you really really should have for the rest of your life.
I couldn't agree more.[emoji106] [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Apparently you all don't have children then. The birth of our three children was by far more important in our lives than our wedding day. Hell, I've known some people that have had 7 or 8 "Most Important" days in their lives. One of em even married the same woman twice.
717110.gif

We hired an outstanding wedding photographer for our daughters wedding. Produced wonderful photos. Most of the ones that mean the most to my daughter however came from the disposable cameras that we left on the tables for people to use. But then my daughter only wanted family and real friends at the wedding. She wasn't interested in some big show. The photos caught by family and friends have more meaning to her because of not only who, but what they captured.

Last edited:
I had a fantastic photographer for my first wedding he cost £500 back in 1984 and it was shot on wonderful film with a Hasleblad , the wedding album is ploughed into a landfill site somewhere now
I don't need awful shots against the sun **** like I see on here all the time, as above my children's births are more important than my wedding day

Just me. Wifey and I hired a decent wedding photographer (not really sure what decent means but we were happy with the results). We got tons of printed 4x6's along with cd's. Certainly glad to have them. Frankly, that wedding felt like it was more for the family and friends than it was for us (Wifey's mileage may vary). The best ones are with her mom and grandma in them because they have since passed.

I am wayyyyy more fond of the pictures over the years, mostly pre dslr, of my kids growing up; sporting events, award ceremonies, graduations, etc.

Apparently you all don't have children then. The birth of our three children was by far more important in our lives than our wedding day. Hell, I've known some people that have had 7 or 8 "Most Important" days in their lives. One of em even married the same woman twice.
717110.gif

We hired an outstanding wedding photographer for our daughters wedding. Produced wonderful photos. Most of the ones that mean the most to my daughter however came from the disposable cameras that we left on the tables for people to use. But then my daughter only wanted family and real friends at the wedding. She wasn't interested in some big show. The photos caught by family and friends have more meaning to her because of not only who, but what they captured.
Your tone suggested I perhaps offended, so sorry if that's the case- The choice that I was suggesting obviously different from what your family has chosen which must about your nose out of joint a bit.

I actually have four children. All the result of the commitment I made to my wife 30 years ago. If we started debating the importance of wedding day versus date of birth, I think we take this thread off topic, don't we?

By the way, who said it had to be either/or? Why not hire a pro to get those great shots, and put out disposable cameras as well?

The most important day of my life was the day I was born. If that day didn't happen, nothing else would matter.

I had a fantastic photographer for my first wedding he cost £500 back in 1984 and it was shot on wonderful film with a Hasleblad , the wedding album is ploughed into a landfill site somewhere now
I don't need awful shots against the sun **** like I see on here all the time, as above my children's births are more important than my wedding day
I'm not suggesting that your choice on your second wedding was wrong. It obviously worked perfectly for you under circumstances I now understand.

I know that about 50% of all marriages end in divorce, tragically. However, as youngsters getting married for the first time I would think/hope that most folks at least intend at that time for the union to hold up, which would lean in favor of trying to save some "forever" memories. I would would hate to think they would pause at spending the photo $$ due to suspicions that it might all go South.

In the end, folks (especially brides) are going to have precisely the wedding they want without reference to what old Peeb thinks. :trink39:

Last edited:
I know that about 50% of all marriages end in divorce, tragically. However, as youngsters getting married for the first time I would think/hope that most folks at least intend at that time for the union to hold up, which would lean in favor of trying to save some "forever" memories. I would would hate to think they would pause at spending the photo $$ due to suspicions that it might all go South.

Interestingly enough...
Why spending less on your wedding could save your marriage | PBS NewsHour

"For both sexes, spending more than $20,000 on the wedding ups the odds of divorce by 3.5 times compared with couples who keep it between $5,000 and $10,000."

"But there’s still hope if you have your heart set on throwing a huge bash for your wedding day. It may seem contradictory, but while excessive nuptial spending is a hazard to lasting love, a hefty guest list has the opposite effect. So instead of opting for a smaller wedding to save money, simply spend less per person. Rather than renting a photo booth, pick up a couple Polaroid cameras. Or save the $1,000 a DJ charges and try this novel idea: make your own playlist."

Those that can, do.
Those that cant, complain about those that do.
Money was not an issue for me, the problem was all the people who this you can buy a camera and your a wedding photographer and most you see on the net are rubbish

your problem is rubbish.
that does absolutely nothing to defer from the fact that no matter how many people are doing photograhy, there's nothing stopping you from finding a photographer you feel does good work in whatever format you want.
seriously, so rubbish is that argument, that by your logic there's no point in drinking any beer because there are so many bad beers being produced now.
most film shots are rubbish, but somehow that doesn't stop people from shooting film.
and now I have used the word "rubbish" so much in this post that the word sounds really weird to me now...
I should try saying something else...like scuba.

scuba.

Those that can, do.
Those that cant, complain about those that do.
Money was not an issue for me, the problem was all the people who this you can buy a camera and your a wedding photographer and most you see on the net are rubbish

your problem is rubbish.
that does absolutely nothing to defer from the fact that no matter how many people are doing photograhy, there's nothing stopping you from finding a photographer you feel does good work in whatever format you want.
seriously, so rubbish is that argument, that by your logic there's no point in drinking any beer because there are so many bad beers being produced now.
most film shots are rubbish, but somehow that doesn't stop people from shooting film.
and now I have used the word "rubbish" so much in this post that the word sounds really weird to me now...
I should try saying something else...like scuba.

scuba.

*snort* Scuba :biglaugh:

Most reactions

Back