Adirondack Alpenglow

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I've been wanting to do a sunrise hike to photograph winter alpenglow in the Adirondacks for a couple of years now but conditions and schedules hadn't aligned until this week. Sunday morning I hiked a small mountain with a few friends for sunrise and captured this photograph of the morning sun making first contact with a few of the Adirondack High Peaks.

49092442182_a62f24f21d_k.jpg

I'm a little bummed about the asymmetry of the clouds, but that's out of my control.

The mountain on the right is Algonquin, the second highest point in New York at 5,115 Feet. The peak on the far left is mount Colden, at 4,715 feet. Ive hiked both of them and they're much larger than this photo makes them out to be.

I also created a vlog of the trip and hike in which this photo was taken, which I've embedded below for anyone that's interested.

Nice shot.

I'm a little bummed about the asymmetry of the clouds, but that's out of my control.

Do some cloning and fix what you don’t like. Especially if it’s one of those set ups where you’re unlikely to get another opportunity anytime soon.

Nice shot.

Do some cloning and fix what you don’t like. Especially if it’s one of those set ups where you’re unlikely to get another opportunity anytime soon.

I could, but I’m a bit of a purist. I don’t mind removing minor distractions and enhancing photos, but I don’t like completely changing the photo to something that wasn’t there. In the age of photoshop, I like getting everything right in camera.

I’ll go back up and try this again.

Very nice. For all your efforts to get us just one pic I would say you deserve to not have to worry about asymmetry of the clouds.

Was that last weekend? I was in the vicinity, but to take my kids on up to Plattsburgh for a college open house. Still able to enjoy Lake Placid for a night. Beautiful area. Have skied Mt. VanH but haven’t hiked it. Enjoyed the video. I love getting up early, but can’t usually make it out the door for sunrises. What boots is your dog wearing? Mine needs a pair. His feet are so tiny I’m not sure they would stay on.

Was that last weekend? I was in the vicinity, but to take my kids on up to Plattsburgh for a college open house. Still able to enjoy Lake Placid for a night. Beautiful area. Have skied Mt. VanH but haven’t hiked it. Enjoyed the video. I love getting up early, but can’t usually make it out the door for sunrises. What boots is your dog wearing? Mine needs a pair. His feet are so tiny I’m not sure they would stay on.

Yeah, this was last weekend. Definitely a beautiful area.

He’s wearing ruffwear boots, but I don’t remember what model they are. They work great, but we have to put duct tape over the velcro because it’ll ice up and stop sticking if we don’t.

Thank you for the information!

Most reactions

Back