Adorama Vs. B&H

I had a group of professors who said bad things about Adorama - claims of bait and switch, which is a pretty serious accusation (and one which people don't always understand what it REALLY means), but from my experience I don't think it was warranted and never really heard this from anyone else. I ended up not really trusting their opinions in general anyway.

Art school professors. Pfft. They're not BLOGGERS but they're pretty damn sketchy.

I use both. Just depends on if one has something the other doesn't.

Art school professors. Pfft. They're not BLOGGERS but they're pretty damn sketchy.

Oh, no, Amolitor - not art school, COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SCHOOL

Seriously, they were way, WAY sleazy. Probably extorting B&H and Adorama by threats of spreading rumors.

Last edited:
I mostly use KEH and they have been GREAT!
used Adorama once or twice. their site is a little harder to navigate, and their "online chat" people are...not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the equipment. (at least the two I got anyway. spent a lot of time "on hold" waiting for them to go find the answers) But, the shipping was fast, item was as described and worked great.

I have always used Adorama. I have nothing negative to say. Everything has been fine on my end.

I use both, I usually go to BH first, but only because that's the one I learned of first. If they don't have something, or if I need something inexpensive from their house brand but don't want to wait weeks to order it directly from China, I'll order from Adorama.

I had a group of professors who said bad things about Adorama - claims of bait and switch, which is a pretty serious accusation (and one which people don't always understand what it REALLY means), but from my experience I don't think it was warranted and never really heard this from anyone else. I ended up not really trusting their opinions in general anyway.

ok, ill bite... just out of curiosity. what DOES "bait and switch" REALLY mean? I always thought it just meant that they lure you in talking about one item, then switch to try and sell you another item that suits their interests better.

I have always used Adorama. I have nothing negative to say. Everything has been fine on my end.

I use both, I usually go to BH first, but only because that's the one I learned of first. If they don't have something, or if I need something inexpensive from their house brand but don't want to wait weeks to order it directly from China, I'll order from Adorama.

The bait and switch operators are / were all the OTHER NYC camera dealers advertising in ShutterBug. I think excepting Cameraland, Cameta... and that place over on 28ish and 8ish... mmmmmm oh yeah Calumet. Those are all reputable.

But anything w/ a Brooklyn address? Watch out. Anyone remember seeing D1's advertised for $1000 under retail, but the battery or power cord or some such was $1100? Or they won't sell the camera without the accessory filter kit which more than makes up for the price difference? Or selling grey market as US market and not disclosing the warranty status?

Sometimes the good ones get lumped in with the bad just based on geography. But in the last 15 years or so that I can speak to personally, I can say that B&H and Adorama are both honorable. YES they have grey market equipment, but they also clearly label it as such and have it listed alongside us warranty gear w/ different sku's. All above board.

I thought Calumet was based out of Chicago?

ok, ill bite... just out of curiosity. what DOES "bait and switch" REALLY mean? I always thought it just meant that they lure you in talking about one item, then switch to try and sell you another item that suits their interests better.

My recollection was lots of ads that if you called and JUST wanted the item listed it was very hard, if not impossible, to buy it. And if it was "very hard" to get them to take the order, you didn't want it anyhow, because it was sure to be a problem later. So really, very hard = impossible or undesirable, so same difference.

I thought Calumet was based out of Chicago?

Maybe. I never really bought much there, just remember they had a store in Chelsea that went in once or twice.

I think that what might have happened was that Adorama might have been out of stock of one brand and recommended another. I'm sure that they were offered a back order, but by the time it got to the professors it was 'adorama never has what they advertise' and these douchey professors yap on about 'bait and switch' to impress the students.

Needless to say, as a transfer student who knew better than to buy into their 'this is the seventh/third/second best photography school in the nation' line, I wasn't so impressed by their b/s, and continued buying bulk film from Adorama because, at the time it was cheaper and b/h. And no, I NEVER had a problem with it being out of stock.

Don't forget Amazon their prices are the same as both Adorama & BH

Really? If you check... half of the listings on Amazon go back to Adorama and B&H as the actual suppliers! And you will also get a lot more customer service out of Adorama and B&H than you will Amazon. The most Amazon will do for you is let you return an item, Adorama and B&H will answer questions and assist if possible.

Amazon sell equipment too. You have to look for Prime logo or "Ships from and sold by Amazon" note, it just another option

I ordered a lens and some replacement foam for my pelican case a few weeks ago--the foam was backordered, and I had hoped it would be sent out soon after I received the lens. Today, I received an email from Adorama apologizing for the delay in the delivery of my foam, and assuring me they are doing their best to get it delivered as soon as possible.

Most reactions

Back