Advice/direction on camera gift

Rattykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking to significantly upgrade my wife's tools -- she has been quite diligent with a small consumer point-n-shoot over the last year or so, and has expressed a desire to have a bit more control over her pictures.

Current package I'm looking at:

Fujifilm X-T10 (18-55 lens kit)
Variable density filter from some respectable brand (she loves long-exposure daytime shots)
Perhaps an additional prime lens for macro shots

The model seems like a nice size (she has small hands) as well as being a nice balance between point-and-shoot flexibility while still allowing some control over ISO, F-stop, etc.

Any suggestions on possible additions or other models I'm overlooking?

What type of photography does she do and like?

Most photographers I know are pretty darn picky with their equipment. My wife knows not to buy me anything photography related that I didn't specifically request--because I might not need it, it might not work with my equipment, it might be a ripoff, etc.

Is the camera a surprise? If not, perfect. Let her know of what you're planning to do and have her provide some input. If it is a surprise, let her know of what you're planning to do and have her provide some input.

Tell her that it's non-negotiable--you're buying her a camera, two lenses, and a filter or some other accessories within a very specific budget. Then, you two can figure out what works best for her needs within that budget. It'll be a nice experience, and you can share it together.

...Tell her that it's non-negotiable--you're buying her a camera, two lenses, and a filter or some other accessories within a very specific budget. Then, you two can figure out what works best for her needs within that budget. It'll be a nice experience, and you can share it together.
This! Trying to buy camera gear for a photographer is like trying to buy underwear for someone you know only slightly. It might do the job, but it's unlikely to be the desired style, design or fit.

is like trying to buy underwear for someone you know only slightly. It might do the job, but it's unlikely to be the desired style, design or fit.
And if you do buy her the camera, don't get her name embroidered on the camera. Save that for the underwear.

As it has been said - PLEASE DONT DO IT.

You CANNOT choose the camera system for any photographer, except yourself. Or even a lens, for that matter.

Getting into a camera system entails a LOT more variables than for example buying a car. Its absolutely impossible to predict what system a fellow photographer will choose. Or what lenses. You dont know their priorities. You dont know which special features they find important.

And unlike a car, camera systems tend to stay with you for long times. In this forum, many people have shot with Canon or Nikon for many decades, even back in the film days. Switching systems is certainly possible, but not easily so.

Also, being in a system means you dont have to be happy with just the camera. It means you have to be happy with the glas you can get for the camera, too, and with the flash system, etc.

Even a brand new camera cant be resold for the price you pay in the shop. If its not the right one, you end up wasting a lot of money.

Your two options are to either talk with your wife beforehand, or to make sure that you can return the camera and lens at no loss if your wife isnt happy about this choice.

Besides, I have a friend with exceptionally small hands (she's below 1.50m height) and she had no trouble whatsoever to handle my full frame Nikon FX camera with my heaviest lens mounted. So this "she has small hands, she gets a small camera" logic is highly flawed.

Looking to significantly upgrade my wife's tools -- she has been quite diligent with a small consumer point-n-shoot over the last year or so, and has expressed a desire to have a bit more control over her pictures.

Current package I'm looking at:

Fujifilm X-T10 (18-55 lens kit)
Variable density filter from some respectable brand (she loves long-exposure daytime shots)
Perhaps an additional prime lens for macro shots

The model seems like a nice size (she has small hands) as well as being a nice balance between point-and-shoot flexibility while still allowing some control over ISO, F-stop, etc.

Any suggestions on possible additions or other models I'm overlooking?

@Rattykins,

if you're looking to compliment your wife's new camera, I suggest you check out Impacas.com for some camera straps that would go great with the Fujifilm or with the camera of her choice. Hope you find the perfect gift!

Camera Straps

Most reactions

New Topics

Back