Advice for a sports camera

Brycycle53

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to upgrade my d90, I've been using it for 2 and a half years to shoot a few videos but mostly take BMX/ action sport photos. Many of the photos I take are just one shot (not using burst mode) but I would like a camera with a faster FPS for sequencing photos togethers. Better autofocus would be nice and a heftier build quality/ weather sealing would be great.
As i said i shoot primarily action sports, but i would like some thing good for the occasional wedding and portrait sessions. I had my eye on the d300s for the 51 points of AF anf the 7-8 FPS but its older tech. should i wait a few months to see what Nikon releases?

Brycycle53 said:
I'm looking to upgrade my d90, I've been using it for 2 and a half years to shoot a few videos but mostly take BMX/ action sport photos. Many of the photos I take are just one shot (not using burst mode) but I would like a camera with a faster FPS for sequencing photos togethers. Better autofocus would be nice and a heftier build quality/ weather sealing would be great.
As i said i shoot primarily action sports, but i would like some thing good for the occasional wedding and portrait sessions. I had my eye on the d300s for the 51 points of AF anf the 7-8 FPS but its older tech. should i wait a few months to see what Nikon releases?

The d300s is no slouch. You can check the d7000 but the buffer will prob drive you nuts. I would either grab the d300 or wait to see what comes out this spring.

The biggest leap in my bird photography was going from the D90 to the D300(non s- I don't need video). The Af system for action is so much better than the D90. But with that being said I would wait to see what is announced in the next 2 months or so...

I shoot sports with a D7000 and the buffer doesn't get in the way too much for me (and i only shoot RAW). You just have to learn not to spray-n-pray.

I would wait and see what Nikon comes out with in the next month or two. It's either going to be the D7000 or D300 replacement.

On CL some guy is selling a D300s Brand new, or so he claims. in box warranty blank, just like brand new from a store for 900... some reason I doubt it's too good to be true

Yeah, I would say buy a used Nikon D3s, or D300s OR WAIT for Feb/March 2013 and see what the "next new Nikon" body brings. A GREAT time to buy a new Nikon higher-end model is 1)after it has been discontinued and has dropped wayyyy low in price or 2) as SOON AS IT COMES OUT, and you can use it for four years.

This is similar to the old car-trader's maxim on how to get the absolute highest "value": buy a three year-old car and drive it for seven years, or buy a seven year-old car and drive it for three years.

But today, Jan 2, 2013??? I would say D3s used or D300s, used are both equally good choices. For used cameras. If I were to suggest a new Nikon to use as a sports camera, today, this very day, it would be a brand-new Nikon D4, or to WAIT for the next model to be premiered, which is expected in February, and make an informed decision once we see if that happens to be the new D300s replacement or what,exactly.

Yeah, I would say buy a used Nikon D3s, or D300s OR WAIT for Feb/March 2013 and see what the "next new Nikon" body brings. A GREAT time to buy a new Nikon higher-end model is 1)after it has been discontinued and has dropped wayyyy low in price or 2) as SOON AS IT COMES OUT, and you can use it for four years.

This is similar to the old car-trader's maxim on how to get the absolute highest "value": buy a three year-old car and drive it for seven years, or buy a seven year-old car and drive it for three years.

But today, Jan 2, 2013??? I would say D3s used or D300s, used are both equally good choices. For used cameras. If I were to suggest a new Nikon to use as a sports camera, today, this very day, it would be a brand-new Nikon D4, or to WAIT for the next model to be premiered, which is expected in February, and make an informed decision once we see if that happens to be the new D300s replacement or what,exactly.

Thanks alot to everyone for the info, We have a few d300s at my work that i got to old and look through, I loved it so I bought a d300s through KEH last night. I know it wont be my end all camera and if nikon comes out with a better camera suited for me this year, i'll most likely upgrade further, but for now this seems to be everything i need that the d90 didnt have! thanks again! -Bryce

Scott Kelby did a great article on the D600. I would be very interested in using one for a race this season. Its fairly priced and rumor has it DX is on its way out. The D600 is 5.5fps . If you spray n pray then you have a lot more to worry about. I see guys at the track that do not burst.
They are all good cameras, it really comes down to feel and price. If you need something yesterday, I have seen the D300 camera go for 500$. Not a bad deal, keep it for a back up and buy the D400/D7200 or what ever comes out in the spring. Do you have FX lens? Do you have CF cards? Lots of little factors here.
My gear for this year is going to be a D7000 and either a D600 or another D7000. Im in no rush to buy anything and I really would like to get more FX stuff. Ill wait and make my decision from there. I want newer technology so a D7000 over a D300. Better at high ISO. If I can afford a D600 then Ill do it.

Depending on what lenses you have, you may be better off getting a new lens rather than a new camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back