Advice on a paid event I'm doing........

Well I can say this, you're more confident then I am. I just did my first event and I was so nervous about it. And I did it for free.

Just a thought and anyone feel to correct me, but maybe you shouldn't charge for it, but still do it. At this point I wouldn't charge for my work, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to help someone out or take on a job (for FREE) to get the experience. Getting the experience and possibly adding something to your portfolio is well worth an afternoon.

This is a ONE TIME event... very important to the individuals involved.... and if it is SCREWED UP, it is GONE? Is that worth "getting experience" for.. taking that risk, by having an AMATUER shoot it?

Imma give the OP a pass becuase she's kinda hot in her avatar.

You are an attorney... your opinion doesn't count unless you are paid for it! :) :greenpbl:

by having an AMATUER shoot it?

It's the client making the decision to have an amatuer shoot it, the OP didn't hunt her down and the OP was honest, so it really is the client's prerogative wether or not she's willing to have an amateur shoot it. I'm NOT saying she should do it, I'm saying if she's going to, she shouldn't charge for it.

blackrose89 said:
Well I can say this, you're more confident then I am. I just did my first event and I was so nervous about it. And I did it for free.

Just a thought and anyone feel to correct me, but maybe you shouldn't charge for it, but still do it. At this point I wouldn't charge for my work, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to help someone out or take on a job (for FREE) to get the experience. Getting the experience and possibly adding something to your portfolio is well worth an afternoon.

Your first event was a winter carnival. You did a great job and I'm sure they were happy. But if you screwed it up would anyone really care that much? They'd probably be a little upset but it was just a winter carnival.

I think this event that Elizabeth is doing is basically a wedding. Maybe not a typical huge wedding. But it's still important to the people and it can't be redone. And if she screws up - I'm sure the people will be more then upset. I think she should have turned down the job but...she's doing it. Hopefully everything works out good for her.

jwbryson1 said:

I'm pretty sure that's one of her kids!!

It's the client making the decision to have an amatuer shoot it, the OP didn't hunt her down and the OP was honest, so it really is the client's prerogative wether or not she's willing to have an amateur shoot it. I'm NOT saying she should do it, I'm saying if she's going to, she shouldn't charge for it.

The client may not know what she is getting in to.. and could regret it for the rest of her LIFE! She is probably thinking .. she says she is a professional, so how bad can it be! I gaurantee you the OP did not stress the lack of experience.. that would make her look bad, and we have seen in other threads how much she hates that, already! Ethically... as a wanna be professional.. paid or not... the OP should not mess with people lives in this way!

blackrose89 said:

But the client did find her because the OP had advertised her photography business on Craigslist!

The client may not know what she is getting in to.. and could regret it for the rest of her LIFE! She is probably thinking .. she says she is a professional, so how bad can it be! I gaurantee you the OP did not stress the lack of experience.. that would make her look bad, and we have seen in other threads how much she hates that, already! Ethically... as a wanna be professional.. paid or not... the OP should not mess with people lives in this way!

I do get what you're saying. I'm not saying she should do. I was trying to give a gentle suggestion that IF she does go through with it, she shouldn't charge.

I could be wrong, but I think the advertisment had her photography posted up, so the client should have an idea of what they're dealing with.

The lady DOES understand I am NOT a professional. I told her myself and she also told me that is why she contacted me as opposed to a professional that would cost more than she was willing to pay. And by the looks of her FB photos, she HAS the money to pay a professional so why she's not doing that, I don't know. She has seen my work and did not have to call based on what she has seen so there are no surprises, she knows what she's getting. She doesn't even want any of them processed. She also said if I wasn't doing the photos, it would be another family member with a point and shoot but since they are all involved in the ceremony she didn't want them to be bothered by taking photos all night.

Another thing is I DO have a back up. My father-in-law has a Rebel T3 and 2 lenses that I am borrowing in case something happens to my camera. I also have several cards for back up if one were tofail. I also have FULL insurance on my camera and lens if anything happens as does my father-in-law on his. I ordered a back up battery to be on the safe side with that as well.
The space I will be working in is about 1500 square foot so there is plenty of space to move but I am still concerned with using my prime. my 18-55mm kit lens takes really blah photos as does my father-in-laws 75-300mm. So I may rent a lens. I've been wanting to try out a new lens anyway. I am also setting up an assessment on the space I will be working so I can see it and get a feel for where I will be working and also the lighting conditions.
I'm really looking forward to the experience and I know I can do this! She's not asking for professional photos, therefore, no pressure. I will strive to provide the high quality I am capable of but I feel confident I can at the very least meet her expectations.

blackrose89 said:

But the client did find her because the OP had advertised her photography business on Craigslist!

I understand. I wouldn't do this, even for free. I was just trying to give a gentle suggestion that if she does go through with it, she shouldn't charge. As I said, I think she had her photos posted on the ad so the client should have an idea of what they're dealing with.

I'm just saying if the OP is honest, shows them her previous work, and is HONEST about her lack of experience, it's really the clients choice if they want to use her.

blackrose89 said:

Your first event was a winter carnival. You did a great job and I'm sure they were happy. But if you screwed it up would anyone really care that much? They'd probably be a little upset but it was just a winter carnival.

That was my point lol

I also have FULL insurance on my camera and lens if anything happens as does my father-in-law on his.

It's not insurance on your camera that the comments relate to--it's liability insurance that covers YOU in the event that YOU somehow injure a person, for example, if they trip over your camera gear and break a neck. They will sue YOU personally for damages (i.e., $$$$$$$$$$). Do you carry liability insurance coverage? Are you incorporated? If you are not incorporated, then they could seize your PERSONAL assets to cover their damages. If you are incorporated, then you have a level of protection between your assets and their claims.

I think you are getting good advice to not take this gig, despite what the person has asked for, but if you do take it good luck with it!

Most reactions

Back