Advice on a paid event I'm doing........

I think it may be hard with those lenses, since you have a cropped body. 50mm at 1.6 is pretty far for close ranges such as the basement. If you use the 18-55 kit lens, you should be able to get a little more of what you see, but then again that isn't the fastest nor best lens for this situation.. Also, what do you plan on doing for post production? You can bring some of the "Colors" she wants out if you do some editing. Do you shoot RAW? If you shoot JPEG in this situation, you might as well not do it. You're throwing away much needed picture information especially for this situation. Do you have a flash? If not... :banghead:

She saw what you have posted which were probably the pick of your photos.
So those are what she expects - the top of your form.

Can you expect to produce that quality on most pictures in a new venue using a new piece of equipment?

I would be very nervous about working for someone who wants - and can afford - pictures but shops downmarket.
My experience is that while the willingness to pay is lower, then expectation of service remains the same.

Here's what I don't get, and I'm not being sarcastic, but why is it on this forum I see people tell other people to not do the shoot, or to do it and not get paid. Really? I'm sure we all work to make a living. Did you have enough experience when you started your job? Did you tell your employer that you would work for free until you felt "ready" to get paid? Or did you turn the job down because you felt you didn't have enough experience?

On the other hand, I get what you all are saying: this is a one time event the client will never get back. And even though the client says they don't expect professional results, you know they really do. Otherwise, they would just have other family members shoot the event with a P&S or the cell phones.

So I'm on the fence. I think if it's your time you should get paid, but on the other hand, how ethically correct is it to get paid if you screw something up. I'm a software developer so I charge regardless of the project I'm working on. But I won't charge to fix bugs (programming errors that are my fault); they're my fault and I take responsibility for them.

So anyway, at least have a contract .

jwbryson1 said:
Imma give the OP a pass becuase she's kinda hot in her avatar.

I'm pretty sure that's one of her kids!!
ooooch! No, that is me. (5 years ago :p) Yea...... I haven;t gotten in front of the camera in a LONG time. I HATE pics of myself and the only reason my profile pics looks decent is photoshop (skin smothing ect... ) LOL

Elizabeth30 said:
ooooch! No, that is me. (5 years ago :p) Yea...... I haven;t gotten in front of the camera in a LONG time. I HATE pics of myself and the only reason my profile pics looks decent is photoshop (skin smothing ect... ) LOL

I wasn't being mean. I just thought the girl looked really young.....

MTVision said:

And I don't mean your old......it looked like a teenager and I know you have like 5 kids...

She is probably thinking .. she says she is a professional, so how bad can it be!

I did not claim to be professional what so ever!! I told her over the phone that I am NOT a professional and really just started doing pics in OCt.

Elizabeth30 said:

I know! LOL Actually I always get told I look way younger than my age ;)

The thing is, "people" don't understand the professional line. They expect to get something, whether you argue or not that you can provide it.

I mean, you're gonna do what you want to do anyway, so I'm not sure why you even asked, but weddings, man they are a horse of a different color. I would never put myself in the position that I was going to ruin someones day because I wanted experience. Its selfish. I've shot weddings *as a guest* for friends, but I would never accept to be the sole photographer without several second shooter weddings under my belt. Its just an ordeal unlike most others, even other events, if not just because they usually cost 10k +.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my cousin once when she was trying to give me career advice. She told me "Angel, apply for any job you want. It doesn't matter if you can do it or not, just bullsh!t your way through, your employers won't care. They'll happily pick up the slack" not saying this is what the OP is doing, just thought it was funny.

Dear Drew Berrymore,

Please at least tell us that you have since removed the Craigslist ad

The thing is, "people" don't understand the professional line. They expect to get something, whether you argue or not that you can provide it.

I mean, you're gonna do what you want to do anyway, so I'm not sure why you even asked, but weddings, man they are a horse of a different color. I would never put myself in the position that I was going to ruin someones day because I wanted experience. Its selfish. I've shot weddings *as a guest* for friends, but I would never accept to be the sole photographer without several second shooter weddings under my belt. Its just an ordeal unlike most others, even other events, if not just because they usually cost 10k +.

First of all, I never "asked" if I should do it or not. I was asking about equipment and such. Secondly, I would never do a wedding!!!!! I have had 2 people (one a family friend and the other random FB person) and I told them both ABSOLUTELY not! I WILL NOT be responsible for wedding photos!! I know I can not provide quality photos for a wedding and I would be devastated to take one on and ruin someones wedding memories they can never get back.
That being said, what I am doing is a pre-wedding ceremony in a basement. It is of Muslim origin and they celebrate for a week straight! It's not the actual wedding and the lady indicated it was more like the equivalent to a batchlorette party

The lady DOES understand I am NOT a professional. I told her myself and she also told me that is why she contacted me as opposed to a professional that would cost more than she was willing to pay. And by the looks of her FB photos, she HAS the money to pay a professional so why she's not doing that, I don't know. She has seen my work and did not have to call based on what she has seen so there are no surprises, she knows what she's getting. She doesn't even want any of them processed. She also said if I wasn't doing the photos, it would be another family member with a point and shoot but since they are all involved in the ceremony she didn't want them to be bothered by taking photos all night.

Another thing is I DO have a back up. My father-in-law has a Rebel T3 and 2 lenses that I am borrowing in case something happens to my camera. I also have several cards for back up if one were tofail. I also have FULL insurance on my camera and lens if anything happens as does my father-in-law on his. I ordered a back up battery to be on the safe side with that as well.
The space I will be working in is about 1500 square foot so there is plenty of space to move but I am still concerned with using my prime. my 18-55mm kit lens takes really blah photos as does my father-in-laws 75-300mm. So I may rent a lens. I've been wanting to try out a new lens anyway. I am also setting up an assessment on the space I will be working so I can see it and get a feel for where I will be working and also the lighting conditions.
I'm really looking forward to the experience and I know I can do this! She's not asking for professional photos, therefore, no pressure. I will strive to provide the high quality I am capable of but I feel confident I can at the very least meet her expectations.

YOU Advertise > Photography and you mention MONEY / PRICES! That intimates that you are a "PROFESSIONAL"! PERIOD!

Insurance on your your cameras and lenses doesn't count! Do you have insurance to cover liability... if you get SUED? That is what counts.. and YES.. it does happen!

QUOTE" Interested in family photos? Check out my page. I have very reasonable prices and I LOVE what I do!! Book yourself a spring session. Check out my work on Face Book at Elizabeth Hitz Photography http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elizabeth-Hitz-Photography/243433982376790 "

Quote" Currently I offer 30-60 minute photo shoots at $50.00. You can have as many people as you choose and there is no limit on how many pictures I take. I will edit the photos and put ALL of them on a disk releasing all my rights to them and you will be free to print them, post them, or whatever you want!"

Last edited:
I'm not trying to get you all irate or anything, if you're comfortable with it then go for it. Just practice a lot, in your home or whereever, in like sitations, and come up with some sort of vision on what you want to accomplish with it. I imagine she doesn't want just snapshots since anyone there could have a camera, so you're going to have to figure out how you can push an image further than just a candid or posed.

I'm just saying if the OP is honest, shows them her previous work, and is HONEST about her lack of experience, it's really the clients choice if they want to use her.

NONE of her previous work has flash in it.. and this job requires flash.. so how is showing her non-flash photos honest? It also won't show her TOTAL lack of experience with flash, or this kind of shoot!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back