Advice on building PC/backup system

Which shows me you have little real experience with OSX. You can either use software to modify time machine or you can do what I did and write new .plist instructions.
And this is easier than using Microsoft Sync toy how exactly?

As for speed, Thunderbolt 2 on my iMac with a DAS that is also Thunderbolt 2 with 10,000rpm drives connected by a Thunderbolt2 2 cable. It's blowing USB 3.0 out of the water.
No it's not.

[edit]Here's some test, in some cases USB 3 was slightly faster, in other Thunderbolt was, but no such thing as "blowing out of the water"

How fast is USB 3.0 really Macworld

As for your thoughts on Time Machine, you are just wrong. I can go back an pull an old file or the newer updated file. Its not just an overwrite process any more than windows is.
Yes it is, as spelled out here: How to Merge Folders on Mac OS X Without Losing All Your Files Seriously

To each his own for use. It is what you like to use.
And what suit one purpose. I find it funny thought that people using Mac would come in and suggest the OP using a Mac when he clearly state he want to move away from Mac and build his own PC. It'd be like a guy asking about which lens to use on his Canon T3i, and you go in and suggest he buy a Nikon.

Last edited:
Thunderbolt 2.0 Apples to Apples not Apples to Oranges. Old article. Old results. Buy the way, how many USB 3.0 devices can you daisy chain together?

Again. Old article. Had no problems with merging in 10.10.

Actually what is funny is a Windows person missing the point. PC connected to a hot swap DAS instead of a NAS. But then the KISS principle is lost on a lot of the Windows world.

MacOS really does have the best backup system out of the box.

It is literally a matter of hooking up a drive and pressing a button.

I ended up selling my old MacBook and bought the stuff for the new build. The build will commence this weekend. Will add larger drives later, but this currently matches the storage I had on the MacBook (which was only about half-full) - will backup on external hard drives for now.

AMD Quad-Core 3.7Ghz
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB graphics card
16GB of RAM

Total price: ~$885 after tax

Can anyone recommend monitors that are around $200 or less?

Offsite backup? If your house burns down, you'll have more to worry about than your photo files.

As it sits right now, if my house burns down I would be literally fckd. Two years of work product would be gone. My career would be seriously compromised.

Insurance would, hopefully, cover my computer, display and audio monitors. But all that work would be lost. It would be extremely difficult to rebuild.

I was referring to an amateur photographer. No different than all those film shots I have in photo albums in my closet. My relatives have enough shots in frames that life will go on if mine burn up. When I switched to digital and made slide shows of family, trips and vacations on DVD's for showing on HDTV's, I've given copies to other family members living elsewhere to see and enjoy so coincidentally they have my backups. The rest of the digital photos are junk or duplicates anyway. Why would I need those? Of course, if you're in a photo business, reliable and secure archiving is a necessity.

I was referring to an amateur photographer. No different than all those film shots I have in photo albums in my closet. My relatives have enough shots in frames that life will go on if mine burn up. When I switched to digital and made slide shows of family, trips and vacations on DVD's for showing on HDTV's, I've given copies to other family members living elsewhere to see and enjoy so coincidentally they have my backups. The rest of the digital photos are junk or duplicates anyway. Why would I need those? Of course, if you're in a photo business, reliable and secure archiving is a necessity.

I too am an amateur, but that doesn't mean I'm not serious about this or that I would not be extremely upset if electrical, water or fire damage destroyed all my files. It's true that in the days of film one could only have negatives in one place and was stuck with that limitation, but now we have a choice. I know someone who lost ten+ years of artwork (mostly paintings and drawings) when an electrical fire destroyed her apartment and she was very depressed about it for a few years afterwards. As photographers, we are lucky that our work can be backed up, and I have a portable HD at work which I bring home overnight for back-up once every couple of months.

I understand. In a way I back up all my stuff too. My last computer got overloaded from time to time with photo files. So I was forced to move them out of the computer. What I had been doing is burning two DVD copies based on the advice that DVD's sometime go bad. But I still keep both copies stored together. I probably should give one copy to my daughter for safe keeping.

Regarding film, I moved a couple of years ago and took everything. Slides, albums, etc. A few months ago I went through everything; I had no place to store everything. Many of the pictures, albums, and slides were from when I was married to my first wife. Also of my girlfriend between wives. My current wife gave me a look about saving all that stuff, if you know what I mean. I pulled the best shots of only me and my daughter and threw out the rest. Now I'm in the process of scanning the slides and assorted, non- photo album prints I kept, a relatively small quantity. It's been sitting on my desk for 6 months already. Scanning is like mandatory exercising. Boring and a pain in the neck.

Since there is a gathering of computer heads here I wonder if you guys could help me.

I have two outboard hard drives.....when I save to them I have to save to one then to the other. Is there a way to save to both simultaneously?
Mac, Window or Linux? And, more importantly, why?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back