Advice please

jackiex_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been reading up on panning (I think it's called), where you take a photo of a moving object like a car and pan and follow the car and the background is blurred and looks like the car is moving.

I was told to put the shutter on about 1" and follow the car.

My problem is, that it was majorly over-exposed! I had my apperture on max (about 32) and ISO on 100 (lowest it will go) and it was still over exposed.

Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

One second is way too long, something like 1/60th or so should do the trick. I don't have access to the original right now, but do recall this shot was probably taken at or around 1/60th. With digital cameras you can take all kinds of practice shots to find out what works best for you, might be an idea for you.

Drags2.jpg

Meter the scene for correct exposure using shutter priority mode, and as mentioned above, select a shutter speed of between 1/40 and 1/100 (the recommendation of 1/60 is an excellent starting point) depending on the speed of the subject and how fast you will be panning. It takes a little practice, but once you get the knack, it's easy.

You want a shutter speed fast enough to stop the car/panning motion, but not so fast that the car's wheels are also stopped. Blurred wheels also convey that the car is moving.

It takes a bit of practice. I usually suggest people "ease" their way into this. 1/500th will generally "freeze" most action. Start by dropping to 1/250th and shoot while panning... you may not see any blur or you may see just a tiny bit. Drop to 1/125th and shoot a few more. Then drop to 1/60th and shoot a few more. Etc. Somewhere along the way you'll find the happy medium where you can get as much motion as you can milk out of the scene while still managing to maintain a sharp subject. If you drop the shutter speed too far, you'll no longer be able to maintain a sharp subject.

If the subject is really zooming along you'll get blur at faster shutter speeds. If they're moving slower then you'll need slightly longer speeds to get the same level of blur.

Depending on where you're shooting, you might be able to get away with a monopod -- which will stabilize the camera vertically while allowing you to follow the action horizontally, and that stability might let you get away with dropping the shutter speed a tiny bit more.

Panning is best done from the waist. Plant your feet with one foot somewhat in front of the other. Put a bit more weight on the front foot.

When you frame the shot try and leave a bit more room in the frame in front of the car than behind the car. Also try and time the release the shutter so some of the front of the car can be seen in the shot. In other words release the shutter just before the car gets to where you are.

Yep takes practice and not something you can pick up in a minute of shooting. And around 1/60th is a good start. Also monopod if your so inclined. Tho not for me as just do hand panning for my shots.

Exposure0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperturef/4.5
Focal Length110 mm
ISO Speed200

Women On the Move & Carefree by Orbmiser, on Flickr

One second is way too long, something like 1/60th or so should do the trick. I don't have access to the original right now, but do recall this shot was probably taken at or around 1/60th. With digital cameras you can take all kinds of practice shots to find out what works best for you, might be an idea for you.

Drags2.jpg

While what you say is true, it was very rude. Life is too short dude!

Drags2.jpg

You gotta be kidding me. What he said was right and in a perfectly matter of fact tone. If you think he was rude you need help.

Like TCampbell said, just ease into it. Here is an example at 1/125 f/8 ISO 100.

$new-7550.jpg

I found a useful way to keep the camera steady with a piece of string, a bolt at one end to screw in under the camera and something to put your foot on, on the other end. when the string is taut the camera view finder should be at eye level.

You gotta be kidding me. What he said was right and in a perfectly matter of fact tone. If you think he was rude you need help.
Im thinking we're missing some clever joke here... but I can't quite understand it.

Most reactions

Back