advice?

OneTruthRemains

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just for my first DSLR (nikon d5000, with standard 18-55 lens) and I'll be doing 2 shoots early next week. One being a family of 5 with kids in the 2-10 year old range and the second being twin boys (red wagon and overalls.)

It should be a sunny to partly cloudy day in a very open and grassy park with trees/a river in the background for both shoots.

The last time I really did a shoot like this (maybe 6 years ago), it was a film camera and on full auto. I am just now investing the time to learn my real manual settings and would love any suggestions about the best ones to go with in these circumstances.

I am doing these shoots for friends just for the experience, so its the perfect time to play around with stuff. Also, any good advice/links for editing this kind of stuff? I haven't invested in photoshop yet but I do have GIMP.

I'll be sure to post after the shoots for editing advice then, but any help before would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
D500, or D5000?

Just a few things that come to mine:

Shoot in RAW.
Make sure of your white balance.
Shoot a gray card.
Use Live View to check focus.

-Scout the location before hand; know where you want to shoot and have poses in mind

-Brief the clients; ensure they understand clothing colours/choices

-Go for an early morning/later afternoon.

-Be familiar with Depth of Field; consider a larger aperture and longer glass to provide shallow DoF

Avoid busy backgrounds.

Avoid dappled sunlight, and to avoid harsh edged dark shadows in direct sunlight you will want to use fill flash. Time of day should be considered with mid-day being the least desired time.

Hopefully you have read the users manual and are familiar with where all the pertinent camera controls and menus are.

The standard lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 at 55 mm which will make getting selective focus (shallow depth-of-field) a challenge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back