AF Assist Beam

DevC

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,
I got a somewhat random question about the AF assist beam on Nikon Cameras. It seems the beam will only turn on on certain requirements. For example, i believe it only works on single servo AF mode. Why can it not work on AF-C mode? I like to use back button focusing so i usually leave my camera in AF-C mode. When shooting in very dim locations (nightclubs for certain), the AF assist beam either from the Camera body or from a YN Flash trigger/ Flash really comes in handy. there isn't much movement (albeit quite some with dancers), so switching to AF-S is not the end of the world for me. I do understand putting it on AF-C, the light may not do much for focusing, but I cannot seem to understand "Why not just let it light eitherway?". I mean there is a menu option to turn the light on and off.

I also stay in AF-C most the time, but specifically for what you noted I will go to AF-S and use the AF assist on the flash and have the function button set to keep from firing the flash (so only using the flash for focus assist).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back