AF Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/2.8D ED

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone used this lens for sport photography nothing like professional sports or anything like that but High school sports / little children? I'm looking into investing into this lens and I'm pretty sure I will purchase it in the upcoming months. I just want to hear some feedback for sporting uses of the lens. Heard a mono pod is a must!

That is a good lens, used to be the top of the line in that range. The newer 70-200 variants are not much better optically. There are like a million threads everywhere about this lens, its variants, and comparisons. Won't take much work for you to find just the information you might want.

It's a heavy lens, but not more so than any other in that range and aperture. you'll get used to it. A monopod is handy but calling is a must depends on who will be using it. They can be cumbersome but not as much as a tripod.

At one time that lens was "glued" to my camera including sports.

It is heavy and yes a monopod, especially with sports would be a must imho

I've used/owned all three versions of this lens, the single ring, the dual ring and the AF-S version. The single-ring version does focus pretty slow, and that might be bothersome when shooting kids. The dual ring is likely "good enough," and the AF-S version is just as fast as the newest versions in this category.

Optically they're all superb, as good as the 70-200mm f2.8 VR1, and almost as good as the VR2.

It's heavy, but it's a good lens. You can get one for anywhere from 700-900 these days, which isn't too bad. However, i find that mine struggles with focusing fast sometimes, and i do tend to miss shots (especially during soccer season). For that reason, i'm selling mine for a 70-200 VR I. It's a great lens, but it focus' slow sometimes, is rather heavy, and can have some pretty bad chromatic aberration at times.

I've heard it referred to as part of the "Holy Trinity" along with the 14-24mm f/2.8 and the 24-70mm f/2.8.

I've heard it referred to as part of the "Holy Trinity" along with the 14-24mm f/2.8 and the 24-70mm f/2.8.

More like the new 70-200 VR II--the holy trinity progresses every time one is updated.

I heard this lens is optically better than the VRI by a bit.

Used to own it. Sold it because I kept renting the 70-200 (I or II) when I needed the range.

Unless you've got a D1/2/3/4 or F5 body with alot of torque in the screwdrive, AF is very slow in comparison to the AF-S 70-200's. Wide open performance is okay when focused towards infinity, abysmal towards min. focus distance.

Save your money, either rent, or buy a 70-200 (either version)

i was looking into them but i think im just going to go sigma 70-200 hsm ii instead...

i was looking into them but i think im just going to go sigma 70-200 hsm ii instead...

I looked at the 70-200 Sigma as well But I'm afraid to go away from a nikon lens but I can't imagine paying 3,000 for the Nikon 70-200 that's why I was looking at the 80-200 option... maybe I'll rent it to see if I like it.

Well $2400 yeah. But can find 70-200 vr ii for 1900-2000 used and the vr ii around $1300

Thats why im going sigma, cause its a fraction of the cost around $700

At less than $1000 for a good used copy, you can't beat any version of the Nikon AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D.

Back in the day I shot action sports with manual focus only lenses, so if a screw-drive lens is a tad slow doing AF, I don't sweat it to much.

You may want to consider mounting the lens on a monopod.

At less than $1000 for a good used copy, you can't beat any version of the Nikon AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D.

Back in the day I shot action sports with manual focus only lenses, so if a screw-drive lens is a tad slow doing AF, I don't sweat it to much.

You may want to consider mounting the lens on a monopod.

Yes I am looking for a good used one, but I may go brand new. It sucks because I live in the burbs of Pittsburgh and there aren't any camera shops around here in PGH that I can find that has the 80-200mm in stock or any other lenses of that fact to test out other than Best Buy's little 55-200mm and 70-300 which i'm not interested in. I'd like to inspect the lens before I bought it.. just a thing

Yes, the 80-200 is a Tank and built like one. Very nice lens optic wise but slow focus in this day and age for sports and children at [play etc. Just my humble opinion, but I sold the one I had, it was not the AF-s one though. that one is much better at AF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back