After the Rumors and the Realities...What about Canon...Can they near the Nikon D800?

I thought the issue of the 36 MP's was pretty much examined, evaluated and determined to be a moot concern...No???

I thought the issue of the 36 MP's was pretty much examined, evaluated and determined to be a moot concern...No???

I don't think that can be really "determined" until someone has one in their hands and can put it through it's paces with noise / dynamic range testing.

It's a metering and AF system from Nikon's flagship camera.

If the D800 is the flagship, there are going to be a lot of upset people who paid twice the price for a D4 thinking it was the flagship......

I believe Mark's post was explaining that the D800 uses the same metering and focus system as the D4, the flagship.

Which is odd, and smart. Everyone from Nikon were wanting a D700 replacement, and Canon had a hand on the upper MP game. Now, Nikon wrangles video AND the upper MP in the same camera, and Canon takes the D700 replacement market. But, if anyone owns a D700, I doubt they'll be jumping to Canon. Either way, it's sure to be interesting, and it'll be fun to watch Nikon scramble and make a killer D700 replacement this year! :D

Mark

I'm hoping for this. As a Canon shooter I've been wanting to go full frame but have been reluctant. I've been quite envious of the D700 for a while now but have been on the fence for the last six months about selling all my stuff and going to the dark side. If the new 5D whatever is more like the D700 then I'll be twice as happy to upgrade without selling all my stuff and my soul to boot.

Canon isn't going to stand back and let Nikon take away their market share. I'm sure they will stay competitive.

Which is odd, and smart. Everyone from Nikon were wanting a D700 replacement, and Canon had a hand on the upper MP game. Now, Nikon wrangles video AND the upper MP in the same camera, and Canon takes the D700 replacement market. But, if anyone owns a D700, I doubt they'll be jumping to Canon. Either way, it's sure to be interesting, and it'll be fun to watch Nikon scramble and make a killer D700 replacement this year! :D

Mark

Yeah Markie! You have just made me realise something, I was a bit annoyed that Canon were going for the 22MP of the 5DMK3 and Nikon were going 36MP with the D800. I thought this is weird, Canon are trying to compete with the D700 and Nikon are trying to compete with the 5D2 which means a complete clash of values in reality.

But you could well be right, if Canon go for 22MP. I reckon Nikon will be forced to bring out a camera to compete on this level. Perhaps they will take on that Nikon D3X 24MP and work some wonders with it? Or even dare I say it... stay at 12MP and use create a low light genius camera with less of the features that the D4 possesses. Exciting stuff!

I doubted Nikon and Nikon come back to make me feel stupid for doubting them, I thought Nikon may of made a gaff with the D800. But now I am seeing what they have done and it was a great move, this camera looks like a fantastic addition to the lineup. It means that people can potentially get medium format level quality at a low price... very clever Nikon. The detail on this camera when used with great glass is simply stunning and I think it could make huge waves! Yes 36MP is still overkill in my mind and has limited appeal to me personally, but this camera is NOT meant to be a replacement for the D700. It is a NEW camera in a whole new segment, it is the replacement for the D3X and in my opinion it smashes the D3X to pieces with the video capabilities.

Good on Canon for going with 22MP and 7.5 fps though, wise move that may force Nikon to release a competitor.

If I were to be looking for a full frame camera, are there compelling reasons to not be interested in considering this one? Aside from being a fairly entrenched Canon user...I think its kind of exciting (as long as that 36MP thing is not going to wreak havoc with sharpness for each and every image....)

EDIT: And the fact that it can focus on 30-40 (can't remember the exact number) faces at once mean's it's incredibly accurate and responsive.

Do you mean to say 'meter' instead of 'focus'? Any Nikon camera I've ever heard of can only focus on 30 or 40 different faces at the time only if said 30 or 40 faces are all at the same distance from the focal plane.

Wow. I'm quite popular on this here thread. :blushing:

I think the 40MP camera is a bit of extreme overkill... Not sure WHY they feel the need to do THAT.

To dissuade studio pro's from going medium format methinks....

Bingo. And the D800.

it'll be fun to watch Nikon scramble and make a killer D700 replacement this year! :D
Mark

None of these companies scramble anything in R&D of new technology and camera models. Make no mistake, the D800's life began 3-4 years ago, and the ideas behind it a few years before that most likely. What we're seeing now as a end-product is only what guys behind desks thought years ago would be what we wanted in 2011 (and thanks to the flooding in Thailand, 2012 now.)

With a supply chain and complex as all these 1st tier companies (Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc.) we're getting the culmination of ideas several years old.

Even so, the D800 sure is enticing. It's too bad they had to cram so many pixels on to 35mm sensor...

All that's fine and dandy. The D700 is quite old now, too. So I'm sure they have a replacement fairly close to being able to be announced, and are only holding off because they just announced the D4 and D800. Something tells me since this announcement is at least 6 months old, I'm guessing they probably had the D700 replacement announcement planned to fill this gap in the year between the D4 and D400 announcement. So, they don't have to scramble to make one. They could scramble to announce one, though. The 5D2 was huge, and the D700 was huge. The D700 users have been dying for a replacement for quite a while now, and I'm sure Nikon wouldn't like to see Canon having that sector of the market for another year.

If the D800 is the flagship, there are going to be a lot of upset people who paid twice the price for a D4 thinking it was the flagship......

I believe Mark's post was explaining that the D800 uses the same metering and focus system as the D4, the flagship.

Bingo. D4=flagship. D800 AF and metering=D4 AF and metering.

Mark

I'm hoping for this. As a Canon shooter I've been wanting to go full frame but have been reluctant. I've been quite envious of the D700 for a while now but have been on the fence for the last six months about selling all my stuff and going to the dark side. If the new 5D whatever is more like the D700 then I'll be twice as happy to upgrade without selling all my stuff and my soul to boot.

There's always room for one more on the dark side. ;)

Mark

Yeah Markie! You have just made me realise something, I was a bit annoyed that Canon were going for the 22MP of the 5DMK3 and Nikon were going 36MP with the D800. I thought this is weird, Canon are trying to compete with the D700 and Nikon are trying to compete with the 5D2 which means a complete clash of values in reality.

But you could well be right, if Canon go for 22MP. I reckon Nikon will be forced to bring out a camera to compete on this level. Perhaps they will take on that Nikon D3X 24MP and work some wonders with it? Or even dare I say it... stay at 12MP and use create a low light genius camera with less of the features that the D4 possesses. Exciting stuff!

I doubted Nikon and Nikon come back to make me feel stupid for doubting them, I thought Nikon may of made a gaff with the D800. But now I am seeing what they have done and it was a great move, this camera looks like a fantastic addition to the lineup. It means that people can potentially get medium format level quality at a low price... very clever Nikon. The detail on this camera when used with great glass is simply stunning and I think it could make huge waves! Yes 36MP is still overkill in my mind and has limited appeal to me personally, but this camera is NOT meant to be a replacement for the D700. It is a NEW camera in a whole new segment, it is the replacement for the D3X and in my opinion it smashes the D3X to pieces with the video capabilities.

Good on Canon for going with 22MP and 7.5 fps though, wise move that may force Nikon to release a competitor.

My thoughts exactly. But, Canonrumors isn't always the most reliable source. Good for them if they do, though. ;)

EDIT: And the fact that it can focus on 30-40 (can't remember the exact number) faces at once mean's it's incredibly accurate and responsive.

Do you mean to say 'meter' instead of 'focus'? Any Nikon camera I've ever heard of can only focus on 30 or 40 different faces at the time only if said 30 or 40 faces are all at the same distance from the focal plane.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. The 'it' in the sentence was supposed to be the metering system. I meant the metering system can..uh..dial in on..I guess the word could be that many faces.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back