Airshow pics

jl1975

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

My two sons and I went to an airshow on Saturday and I managed to get some pictures. I used my 70-200 f4 and my D7100. I think a longer focal length would have been helpful, although when zoomed in all the way it was hard to track the F-18 and F-22, so the extra reach might not have really helped for those two. It was definitely a challenge and I'm hoping they host the show again next year. Here are a few from the show. Let me know what you think.

DSC_3699.jpg

DSC_3699.jpg
DSC_3836.jpg
DSC_3403.jpg
DSC_3450.jpg
DSC_3509.jpg
DSC_3572.jpg
DSC_3631.jpg
DSC_3667.jpg
DSC_3684.jpg
DSC_3748.jpg
DSC_3766.jpg

A Lancaster bomber along with a
DSC_3403.jpg
DSC_3450.jpg
DSC_3509.jpg
DSC_3572.jpg
DSC_3631.jpg
DSC_3667.jpg
DSC_3684.jpg
DSC_3748.jpg
DSC_3766.jpg

Very nice captures! Awesome job on the focus as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to pressure-wash your sensor, but those are some top-notch images. I really like that shot of the Snowbirds.

I dig a nice P-51 Mustang!

I think the bubble canopy suggests that this one is a P-51D. A truly great bird.

You need to pressure-wash your sensor, but those are some top-notch images. I really like that shot of the Snowbirds.

Pressure-wash? I thought steel wool was the preferred method of cleaning a sensor. Just kidding, you're right about the sensor. I had the camera set to shutter priority for the prop planes at 1/125 or 1/160 in order to get the prop blurred. As a result, the aperture was closing down and with the clear blue sky you can see the dust on the sensor. That's a lesson learned for next time.

I think the bubble canopy suggests that this one is a P-51D. A truly great bird.

Yes, it was pretty cool to see and hear. While not as loud as the newer jets, it did have a pretty loud sound. My boys and I were saying how while we thought it sounded good, at times decades ago that same sound to people on the ground would have been terrifying.

Pressure-wash? I thought steel wool was the preferred method of cleaning a sensor. Just kidding, you're right about the sensor. I had the camera set to shutter priority for the prop planes at 1/125 or 1/160 in order to get the prop blurred. As a result, the aperture was closing down and with the clear blue sky you can see the dust on the sensor. That's a lesson learned for next time.

Yes, it was pretty cool to see and hear. While not as loud as the newer jets, it did have a pretty loud sound. My boys and I were saying how while we thought it sounded good, at times decades ago that same sound to people on the ground would have been terrifying.
She was the queen of the sky in WWII for sure!

Really good job on the shutter speed! The prop blur looks really good!

I was watching the same show from down the road. We chose to park on a side street where the planes came over our heads rather than battle the wait lines and crowds. estimates say 80,000 people attended. I was shooting with a tamron 270.

Nice shots. I also had a dirty sensor and spent way too much time removing spots from my shots. But it really was an amazing show.

Really good job on the shutter speed! The prop blur looks really good!

Thank you. To make sure I would have a slow enough shutter for prop blur and a fast enough one for the jets, I switched back and forth between aperture and shutter priority. I used shutter priority at 1/125 or 1/160 for the prop planes and aperture priority at f4 for the jets. With those set all I had to do is switch my mode dial back and forth as needed.

I was watching the same show from down the road. We chose to park on a side street where the planes came over our heads rather than battle the wait lines and crowds. estimates say 80,000 people attended. I was shooting with a tamron 270.

Nice shots. I also had a dirty sensor and spent way too much time removing spots from my shots. But it really was an amazing show.

Yes, it was a good show. One of my employees went on the Sunday and the f-22 only did 2 or 3 passes and then flew away. The announcer said they were having technical issues and then a few minutes later it flew back and landed. I'm really glad that didn't happen when I was there. Most of my shots are from the viewing area, but my shots of the snowbirds are actually from the parking area. My kids and I were tired and hungry and we were leaving but I managed to get shots of the snowbirds from between the buildings where I had to park. Maybe next time I'll do like you and just park nearby somewhere.

Great set, love the shots. I really like the one of the plane right over the heads of the blurred out crowd. Really cool.

Also, go get your sensor cleaned!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back