Alexis- Model Portrait

Well, I suspected that it meant something quite unflattering about you. I thought perhaps you'd take the chance to correct me.

Well, I suspected that it meant something quite unflattering about you. I thought perhaps you'd take the chance to correct me.
You are free to make whatever conclusions you like. Also, your posts are no longer relevant here. If all you can do is make insulting comments at this point then you can leave.

It means he is not listening.

You are free to make whatever conclusions you like. Also, your posts are no longer relevant here. If all you can do is make insulting comments at this point then you can leave.

WHAT?

With all due respect, Mr. Ostergren, please point out where I made an insulting comment.

What does this :76:mean?

I believe that's the emoticon equivalent of "blah, blah, blah". Or if you're from New York, then "yada, yada, yada".

WHAT?

With all due respect, Mr. Ostergren, please point out where I made an insulting comment.
I don't have to explain myself at this point. :76::76::76:

Does not the rule of artistic vision and freedom trump all other so called rules?
It is axiomatic that one must learn the rules in order to eventually break those rules, and he must know HOW and WHEN to break the rules to make his art exemplary.

Just ignoring rules of composition means nothing, and conveys a sense that the artist is not familiar with the rules.

I see the debate going in circles. "Exemplary" to whom? Even exemplary is subjective in the art world in my view. I don't know that the OP does not know the rules. Without asking, I would guess that he probably does know the rules and truly does not allow them to get in the way of his artistic freedom.

From Dictionary.com
artistic license
noun
the freedom to create an artwork, musical work, or piece of writing based on the artist's interpretation and mainly for effect; also called poetic license, etc.

Examples
Artistic license often provokes controversy by offending those who resent the reinterpretation of cherished beliefs or previous works.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Artistic freedom is the extent of freedom of an artist to produce art to his/her own insight. The extent can deviate to customs in a certain school of art, directives of the assigner, etc.

Does not the rule of artistic vision and freedom trump all other so called rules?
It is axiomatic that one must learn the rules in order to eventually break those rules, and he must know HOW and WHEN to break the rules to make his art exemplary.

Just ignoring rules of composition means nothing, and conveys a sense that the artist is not familiar with the rules.

I see the debate going in circles. "Exemplary" to whom? Even exemplary is subjective in the art world in my view. I don't know that the OP does not know the rules. Without asking, I would guess that he probably does know the rules and truly does not allow them to get in the way of his artistic freedom.

From Dictionary.com
artistic license
noun
the freedom to create an artwork, musical work, or piece of writing based on the artist's interpretation and mainly for effect; also called poetic license, etc.

Examples
Artistic license often provokes controversy by offending those who resent the reinterpretation of cherished beliefs or previous works.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Artistic freedom is the extent of freedom of an artist to produce art to his/her own insight. The extent can deviate to customs in a certain school of art, directives of the assigner, etc.
Shhh, it's safer to just let them assume I don't know what I'm doing. It's more fun for them, that way they can come into my threads and do this same thing every time I post something they don't like (and if they don't like it, then obviously that means I don't know what I'm doing, at least by their logic).

Mr. Ostergren, you are never required to explain yourself.

When you refuse to do so, however, it may reflect poorly on you. When you throw around accusations you cannot support, it reflects poorly on you.

The fact is that you cannot stand anything other than positive remarks. My completely neutral remarks have drawn your ire, and led to several quite obnoxious posts on your part, all tied up with disingenuous "have a nice day!" signoffs to mask, but badly, the obnoxiousness. When you first rolled in here a couple years back you were such a creative guy, and your models gave you so much. Your pictures had so much life and possibility. Things are, well, they're different now. I am genuinely disappointed.

ETA: Boylesque Dancer Isaiah Photography Forum (ignore all the blah blah about tonality and look at that amazing model and what he's giving. Just look!)

Last edited:
I really like this photo. I'm pretty new at this so I don't have the tech words but, nice job.

Let's keep this on track folks. If you want to debate take it to the discussion section.

Mr. Ostergren, you are never required to explain yourself.

When you refuse to do so, however, it may reflect poorly on you. When you throw around accusations you cannot support, it reflects poorly on you.

The fact is that you cannot stand anything other than positive remarks. My completely neutral remarks have drawn your ire, and led to several quite obnoxious posts on your part, all tied up with disingenuous "have a nice day!" signoffs to mask, but badly, the obnoxiousness. When you first rolled in here a couple years back you were such a creative guy, and your models gave you so much. Your pictures had so much life and possibility. Things are, well, they're different now. I am genuinely disappointed.
Nor did you have to explain that you assumed an emote meant something "quite unflattering about you" to me. That's a backhanded comment meant to insult me.

The way you word your "critique" is done in a way that is NOT neutral and is also unnecessarily rude. Even now telling me that my pictures "used to have life and possibility. Things are well, they're different now. I am genuinely disappointed" is also rude and unnecessary. You are stating these opinions as fact and nitpicking, and to me that is obnoxious.

I can take feedback and am happy to receive it when it's not done sarcastically or put in a way that tries to make me look like a fool such as the way you worded your "critique". Even in this thread I have thanked members for leaving their feedback, even if they didn't like the photos. But when a "critique" is laced with sarcasm and done so in a way that makes me look foolish, it's obnoxious. What you are doing is nitpicking and passing it off as critique, and doing so in a way that is quite rude. So if you think I'm being rude or obnoxious, then so be it. I have every right to stand up for myself when people comment on my photos in the manner that you and a handful of others here have.

Have a nice day. :)

never disappointed with your images...been away from this site for some time. you are only getting better.

Most reactions

Back