All in one lens

BraCas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to get an all in one lens for a vacation, I thought I would like the tamron 18-270 with VC. But after doing some searching I found a SIGMA 18-250 with OS. Has anyone used this one?? They are giving a great deal at BH for it now....$200 off...makes it cheap to get.

thanks

I don't have any experience with that lens but the problem with most "all-in-one" is that they may do the job but the never do it very well.

Yep.
As long as image quality is not as important as the convenience of a single lens, a 'superzoom' lens fits the bill.

Superzoom all-in-one lenses (10x+ zoom range) have to be designed to accommodate a range of image quality compromises making them jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses.

The Tamron gets low marks in the wide angle portion of it's zoom range and has AF, CA, and distortion issues.
Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO review: Digital Photography Review
Conclusion - Pros

• Remarkable 15x focal length range
  • Impressive image quality in the normal to short telephoto range
  • Excellent resistance to flare
  • Effective vibration correction system, at least 3 stops benefit
  • Reasonably compact despite the long telephoto range
Conclusion - Cons

• Slow and occasionally indecisive autofocus
  • Geometric distortion across much of the zoom range
  • Significant chromatic aberration at wideangle and telephoto (especially 270mm)
  • Macro performance rather compromised (very soft at F6.3, focus shifts on stopping down)
  • Uneven zoom action, zoom creep when not locked
  • Slightly sub-par build quality

Last edited:
I got a good 24-75 so what should I get for longer distances?? I want to be easy to travel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back