All-Time Favorite Lens... GO!

Oh, hands down it has to be my 10.5mm f2.8G ED AF DX. Not always found on my camera, but I'm getting to a point where I want a separate DX camera setup permanently with it on because of the specialized settings it needs for spherical photography - and because half the time I forget to put focusing and metering back on auto after I've used it!

Get away from its novelty value as a fisheye and it's a very versatile and powerful lens that has many creative uses, not least in spherical photography, which I assume is what most people buy it for. Master the appropriate software and you can take it in a multitude of directions. The trick is to put the time in to learn the programs (like PTGui), the capabilities of the lens, and to practice, practice, practice!

Goo? Doesn't that get a bit messy? :biglaugh:

I won't post my all-time favorite lens because, by the OP it's supposed to fit a Nikon, and it wouldn't.

My all-time favorite lens is... oh wait, Nikon only?

Well, in that case, 35mm f/1.8G DX. $197 of everything I think is right about taking pictures. A shame they don't package it as a kit with some of the DX bodies, but I think it's safe to say the mainstream prime lens kit days are behind us, with some small-volume exceptions.

Goo? Doesn't that get a bit messy? :biglaugh:

I won't post my all-time favorite lens because, by the OP it's supposed to fit a Nikon, and it wouldn't.

Very funny...

You can post whatever your favorite lens is! Doesn't matter.

Well, in that case, 35mm f/1.8G DX. $197 of everything I think is right about taking pictures. A shame they don't package it as a kit with some of the DX bodies, but I think it's safe to say the mainstream prime lens kit days are behind us, with some small-volume exceptions.

Doesn't matter the brand actually...

A 35mm 1.8 may be nice to have around. I've had several 35's and 50's laying around and didn't get much use, but that was back in my beginner days and didn't know what I had :/

This question has been around forever, right? Well as time goes on people's "favorites" may change...

So I would like to know what lens (fits Nikon) that you would die to have, or already have.

And..... GOO!

That I own:
  1. Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
  2. Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
  3. Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S
That I don't own:
  1. Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
  2. Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
  3. Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

I swear to Gawd it's one of these.....

Lens%20Collection-XL.jpg

Doesn't matter the brand actually...

A 35mm 1.8 may be nice to have around. I've had several 35's and 50's laying around and didn't get much use, but that was back in my beginner days and didn't know what I had :/

For the price, it's tough to beat, but it seems like normals either are your thing or they aren't. It's a running theme for me: My all-time favorite lens is the lowly SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2, which was the smallest and cheapest Pentax 50 of its day (not because it's better than the 1.7 or 1.4, but because it's one of the first pieces of gear that helped me "get it"), my favorite Nikon lens is the 35mm f/1.8G DX, and the Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f.1/8 Micro Four-Thirds lens (50mm equivalent) that just came in the mail is quickly shaping up to be a favorite.

Most reactions

Back