All-Time Favorite Lens... GO!

Heather Koch

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This question has been around forever, right? Well as time goes on people's "favorites" may change...

So I would like to know what lens (fits Nikon) that you would die to have, or already have.

And..... GOO!

Current fav is the Nikon 35 1.8. Would love to have Nikon 70-200 2.8.

The Nikon Holy Trinity is hard to beat, but this past holiday season I tended to stick with the primes. The 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8 seemed to dominate.

There is a recent thread about the new Nikkor 300mm f/4, but my old f/4 tank still rocks around the bird feeder.

hmm, My go to Nikon lens is the 16-85mm 3.5-5.6. It isn't as sharp or as fast as some of my other lenses but, it is as sharp and fast as I need at all of its' settings. It is consistently descent from f/3.5 to f/22, 16mm to 85mm. My new 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR seems to have many of the same attributes of the 16-85. But by far, the lens that has helped me capture my best pictures is my 105 micro AF-S VR f/2.8

Last edited:
of all the lenses I've owned, the nicest was the 200mm f2 VR that was too heavy and unwieldy for my purposes but man, what a piece of glass.

Current favorite is the 70-200vr2 but I never use it.

Most commonly found mounted on my camera-85 f1.4G

1804A73D5056BFB12118F8

That's a tough one; I'm inclined to agree with John, all the ones I have are my "favorite" that's why I have them!

Most used is definitely my Sigma 150-500, so in that sense at least, it's my favorite. Sharpest probably goes to my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and most versatile maybe to my Tammy 70-200 f/2.8.

The lens I'd most want to HAVE? Oh, I don't know--maybe a nice Nikon 600mm f/4? But that's not ever gonna happen unless I win the lottery. And since I don't actually PLAY the lottery...

It's going to depend on the type of photography one pursues. Personally anything less than 300mm is a waste of space in my bag most of the time.

The best for the job :)

Landscapes? 16-35 f4 VRII
Headshots? Tammy 70-200 2.8VC
Full body portraits? Nikon 85 1.8G

THAT being said, there's a lot of lenses I've never used. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

I'd love the Otus 85 1.4 from zeiss. Or their 135...

Jake

I couldn't possibly pick. One lens is my favorite until I realize I need something else. I think right now I would be pretty happy with a 24-70 2.8 a 70-200 2.4 and a macro lens. I'd LOVE to have like a LOOONG macro. And I would love to have a telescope attachment/lens. Though I would have no idea how to use it. I've heard some great things about the 135mm with defocus control, but couldn't never justify it unless I shot a lot more portraits.

As it stands, my "favorite" is my 28-105 3.5-4.5afd. Nothing too spectacular, but it's nice and sharp, good colors, has a macro mode, light weight. It's just so much more versatile than my 50mm prime, and the quality is well beyond the super zoom I have for my NEX.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna be much different than everyone else...

I like the 4 Nikkor lenses I owe at the moment, but if I have to pick one, I would say that I'm quite impressed with my Nikkor 70-200mm f/4 zoom. It's my most used lens at the moment because I use it at my son's soccer and hockey games. It's certainly the sharpess lens I've ever owed so far.

The close second place would go to my Nikkor 105mm VR f/2.8 macro lens which is very nice too. I didn't have a chance to push its limits yet, but from the few shots I got from it, I'm very pleased. I've owed the previous version in the past, and it was great too.

Third place would go to my affordable wide angle zoom. Since I didn't have 2K$+ to plunk on such zoom, I had to settle for the AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED which turns out to be a pretty decent lens. I don't like the fact that it's all made out of plastic, but it feels very solid and well made. Once again, I didn't have a chance to use it a lot so far, but from what I've seen, it would be very hard for me to justify spending 3 times more money to get a more reputable wide angle zoom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back