Amateur Muay Thai (criticism)

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ksQ2m.jpg

Nikon D7000 | ISO 6400 | S: 1/200s | 70-300mm VR

Alright go a head; I didn't get a single good shot during this whole event. This is the only picture that is remotely interesting or half good. It was dark, the lens was heavy, I had a crappy third row seat and my view was often obstructed by the corner. And there's a dude's head in the picture. Tips, tricks, and suggestions. That's really all I'm looking for here.

Still trying to get the hang of spot metering.

By selective PPing, you can make something more out of this.
Look at the picture you have, decide what keeps it from being better and try to fix that.
Pictures don't have to be sharp, perfectly lit, etc to have an impact.

ksq2mllll.jpg

The holy grail of sports shots is faces, and the emotion on them.

Your shot has more value as an abstract, than a sports action shot.

I thought the head kick would be more interesting than them staring at each other with vicious intent. But I understand. I think it is the great challenge of martial arts photography, much of what defines Muay Thai is the clinch. And in the most proper of clinches, the face is obstructed by the arms.

I have a different view of this picture.
You have some knowledge/interest in MT. I have neither.
I don't know/care whether it fits into any specific sports photo or MT photo
My only viewpoint is whether this picture as presented can be made more effective.
I don't mind that I can't see the faces or much of any detail; it looks like action and a leg to the face and comes across well that way.

The shadows are too dark. You need a lens with at least a 2.8 aperture.

Yes, I know. I was painfully aware at that moment. Plight of a college student with tuition to pay I guess. I was seriously considering taking a year off and taking my tuition money and putting to towards that lens actually.

Yes, I know. I was painfully aware at that moment. Plight of a college student with tuition to pay I guess. I was seriously considering taking a year off and taking my tuition money and putting to towards that lens actually.

Probably wouldn't be the smartest idea.

Finish school, get a job, make money, then buy the lens.

With a little ingenuity, desire, and self-motivation a lot of seemly impossible things, become possible.

Anyone can make excuses, sucessful people instead make the sacrifices needed to get what they need. Notice I said need, and didn't say want.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...13-those-contemplating-starting-business.html

Older, much less expensive Nikon lenses will do what you need done.

Most reactions

Back