American PSA about the new Canada.

in the united states, cocaine is legally a narcotic...but medically it is not.
From a U.S. legal perspective, narcotics refer to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic substitutes.
cocaine and meth are legally considered narcotics, yet neither are narcotics from a medical standpoint.
There you go. But we know that John also gets twitchy over the use/misuse of the word "organic," so don't hold it against him. ;)

in the united states, cocaine is legally a narcotic...but medically it is not.
From a U.S. legal perspective, narcotics refer to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic substitutes.
cocaine and meth are legally considered narcotics, yet neither are narcotics from a medical standpoint.
There you go. But we know that John also gets twitchy over the use/misuse of the word "organic," so don't hold it against him. ;)

@tirediron just roll up a fattie, blaze it up, and put on some pink floyd...

My brother vapes marijuana regularly and not for medical purposes. I'm worried about him. He doesn't want to listen to anybody. Doesn't afraid of having problems with the law. But what's more important he doesn't care about his health.
He had crazy friends when was a teenager and we missed that moment I think. Now he's almost addicted to it.
I'm reading the article on Vapingdaily about side effects of marijuana and health risks.
It's getting worse and worse. I see that he's fading.
How can I persuade him to go to the doctor? I was trying to make him do that, but he's stubborn.
Sorry if I wrote this in the wrong place for that, but I like photographs and it's my hobby, but saw this thread and decided to ask for help.

Last edited:
Look into your local addictions centres or government programs for help and how to proceed.

Realistically though, it is the same as any other addiction. Unless he is ready to look for help you are not going to get very far.

After dealing with addiction in a family member for years, I can truthfully say there isn't anything really that "you" can do except wait. Most drug addictions are multi faceted problems which involve other medical or mental related problems. By gathering information on resources now you will be better prepared to help your brother when he's ready to receive help. Sadly an addict usually has to reach a critical low point in their life before they are ready to change. What that low point might be varies, for some losing a job, for others jail, for others a near death overdose. You can't beat yourself up, your brother is the problem, and your brother has to make the decision to get help. Nothing you say or do will convince him.

I see nothing wrong with the pharmaceutical use of cannabis PROVIDED it's properly controlled and dispensed like any other narcotic. As for Mr. Trudeau's "let's just make drugs legal" approach, well... I can only hope that at some point something happens to a member of his family that will demonstrate to him just how wrong he is.

Weed is relatively harmless compared to alcohol and our society legalized the consumption of alcohol decades ago. If something alcohol related happens to a member of his family would you be supporting Prohibition?

nar·cot·ic
närˈkädik/
noun
  1. 1.
    a drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for non-medical purposes, especially an illegal one.

Sounds like chocolate and alcohol would qualify as 'narcotics'

Many years ago I did voluntary work for Turning Point for people with Drink Drug and Mental Health issues. For me I saw how taking drugs ruined and even lead to death, so as long as it is ONLY used for medical then that`s fine but NOT in anyones life time should it be made legal.

Drugs...ok, but weed? Weed ruined lives and lead to death? You must be referring to other drugs. What about alcohol? You think it is fine to be sold and consumed? I've seen the damage alcohol has done to peoples' lives. Every Friday and Saturday night there's fights between drunks - not [people high on cannabis.

Separating "weed" [sic] from "drugs" is like separating beer from hard liquor; it's all the same, some is just a little more potent. While there's no doubt that alcohol has a detrimental effect on many, the key difference between alcohol and narcotics is: VERY few alcoholics resort to robbery or violence to get their next drink. If you think that Cannabis doesn't cause ruined lives and death you may want to familiarize yourself a little better with just how much of it people like Pablo Escobar are responsible for producing. While I can't say from first-hand knowledge, rumour on the street is, he may have hurt one or two people...

The main issue with the legalization of cannibis however is that there is NO accurate roadside tests for it. There are a number of tests in use, but they are at best only about 60% accurate, which means that drug addicts can be as high as kites, get into their car, and cause an accident with relative impunity.

Separating "weed" [sic] from "drugs" is like separating beer from hard liquor; it's all the same, some is just a little more potent. While there's no doubt that alcohol has a detrimental effect on many, the key difference between alcohol and narcotics is: VERY few alcoholics resort to robbery or violence to get their next drink. If you think that Cannabis doesn't cause ruined lives and death you may want to familiarize yourself a little better with just how much of it people like Pablo Escobar are responsible for producing. While I can't say from first-hand knowledge, rumour on the street is, he may have hurt one or two people...

The main issue with the legalization of cannibis however is that there is NO accurate roadside tests for it. There are a number of tests in use, but they are at best only about 60% accurate, which means that drug addicts can be as high as kites, get into their car, and cause an accident with relative impunity.

On average, roughly 40 percent of inmates who are incarcerated for violent offenses were under the influence of alcohol during the time of their crime. Isn't that what Cavanaugh is being accused of?
https://www.alcoholrehabguide.org/alcohol/crimes/

I see nothing wrong with the pharmaceutical use of cannabis PROVIDED it's properly controlled and dispensed like any other narcotic. As for Mr. Trudeau's "let's just make drugs legal" approach, well... I can only hope that at some point something happens to a member of his family that will demonstrate to him just how wrong he is.

Weed is relatively harmless compared to alcohol and our society legalized the consumption of alcohol decades ago. If something alcohol related happens to a member of his family would you be supporting Prohibition?

World Health Organization: Harmful alcohol use kills 3 million globally in 2016
WHO: Harmful alcohol use kills 3 million globally in 2016

Arguing that weed use isn't as bad as alcohol would be like saying that cancer isn't as bad as hanging.

... On average, roughly 40 percent of inmates who are incarcerated for violent offenses were under the influence of alcohol during the time of their crime. Isn't that what Cavanaugh is being accused of?
Not familiar with that case, and while the statistic seems reasonable to me, there are two points to consider:

(1) how many of that 40% were under the influence of alcohol exclusively, vice a combination of alcohol and drugs; and

(2) they committed crimes while under the influence, but were they committing crimes with the intent of obtaining more alcohol, or simply because they were intoxicated?

... On average, roughly 40 percent of inmates who are incarcerated for violent offenses were under the influence of alcohol during the time of their crime. Isn't that what Cavanaugh is being accused of?
Not familiar with that case, and while the statistic seems reasonable to me, there are two points to consider:

(1) how many of that 40% were under the influence of alcohol exclusively, vice a combination of alcohol and drugs; and

(2) they committed crimes while under the influence, but were they committing crimes with the intent of obtaining more alcohol, or simply because they were intoxicated?

Does it matter?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back