American PSA about the new Canada.

I don't use the stuff, but it doesn't seem to be that big a deal "up here". Each province (and territories) is having a different approach to the selling of pot. Some are legalizing dispensaries, others are apparently reverting to the alcohol sale model that followed the ending of the prohibition (you tell the clerk what you want, and they'll scurry to a back room to get it for you, complete with brown paper bag). A certain (small) proportion of the population thinks of it as depicted in "Reefer Madness" (the original), while most are looking at it as a curiosity. We'll find out in a few years whether which provincial approach works best (keeping it out of the hands of minors, curtailing the black market, managing the issues of intoxication, etc.). One potential benefit may be the availability of standardized and known content, which in turn may allow more controlled testing and determination how many of the supposed benefits are anecdotal wish-ware, and how real are the supposed deleterious effects. Medical marijuana has been available for a number of years, but we have not had extensive double-blind testing done with controls (that I know of), so it's still hard to get a clear idea of what the reliable effects (and side effects) are.

I see nothing wrong with the pharmaceutical use of cannabis PROVIDED it's properly controlled and dispensed like any other narcotic. As for Mr. Trudeau's "let's just make drugs legal" approach, well... I can only hope that at some point something happens to a member of his family that will demonstrate to him just how wrong he is.

The primary active substance in marijuana - Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - is NOT a narcotic.
Narcotics induce sleep, something THC does not do.
Use the medical definition of the term narcotic, not the scare tactic definitions used by law enforcement.

The Reefer Madness myth & the decades long, costly, failure known as the "War On Drugs" continues.
FWIW - I stopped smoking pot at age 30 because I was fed up with the unreliability of sellers.
I see little cause for concern regards recreational use.

Last edited:
Recreational marijuana is legal in Oregon. Medical marijuana has been commonly sold here for well over a decade. Both recreational and medical marijuana in Oregon are sold from dispensaries located in many towns and cities, including one located miles outside any town, just off the shoulder of US Highway 26, in the middle of forest lands on the way to the Oregon coast. Life here seems pretty much as it did before legalization. Legalization will not change the essence of life in Canada. You will not notice any changes, except perhaps the elimination of loads of low-life drug dealers as the suppliers.

The primary active substance in marijuana - Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - is NOT a narcotic...
nar·cot·ic
närˈkädik/
noun
  1. 1.
    a drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for non-medical purposes, especially an illegal one.

The primary active substance in marijuana - Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - is NOT a narcotic...
nar·cot·ic
närˈkädik/
noun
  1. 1.
    a drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for non-medical purposes, especially an illegal one.
You may have found that definition of narcotic, but it is not correct. The Oxford English Dictionary has : "1. Of substances etc.: having the effect of inducing stupor, sleep, or insensibility.

It is from the Greek verb narkoun which means to benumb. No pharmacist would call THC a narcotic.

You may have found that definition of narcotic, but it is not correct. The Oxford English Dictionary has : "1. Of substances etc.: having the effect of inducing stupor, sleep, or insensibility.

It is from the Greek verb narkoun which means to benumb. No pharmacist would call THC a narcotic.
Which is exactly what happens to most of the junkies I've see under the influence.

As a wild child of the 60's my college days might have included a little "experimentation". :allteeth: Personally I never did find it worth the effort. As the owner of a trucking company I really didn't care one way or the other EXCEPT - FMCSA says you can't drive if you test positive on a pre-employment or random screen. Not only that, but if you DO test positive you can not drive again for any company, (your positive test follows you) until you complete a mandatory SAP program at your expense. It doesn't matter if you have a medical reason/prescription or using for pleasure, Marijuana is illegal under federal law, meaning all “safety sensitive” employees who are subject to federally-mandated drug testing are still prohibited from using the drug. This group of employees includes anyone who operates commercial vehicles, including train engineers, pilots and school bus drivers. At some point that may change but for now that's the way it is. Part of it may have to do with the testing, because of the length of time THC stays in the body, there is not currently a satisfactory way of determining last use. Right now an off duty driver can legally drink alcohol up to 4 hrs before going on duty. At some point things may change, but until they do, the states that have legalized marijuana ahead of federal changes, have created a nightmare for those that have to follow the federal regulations.

I see nothing wrong with the pharmaceutical use of cannabis PROVIDED it's properly controlled and dispensed like any other narcotic. As for Mr. Trudeau's "let's just make drugs legal" approach, well... I can only hope that at some point something happens to a member of his family that will demonstrate to him just how wrong he is.

Many years ago I did voluntary work for Turning Point for people with Drink Drug and Mental Health issues. For me I saw how taking drugs ruined and even lead to death, so as long as it is ONLY used for medical then that`s fine but NOT in anyones life time should it be made legal.

Back in the 1960s I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. In those days the easiest place to buy pot (or anything else one wanted) was to go to Berkeley and walk down a 6-block stretch of Telegraph Avenue that led up to the main entrance to UC Berkeley. There were dealers on every block and they hung out there leaning against the storefronts and as people passed them they would softly state what they had for sale. Pot, LSD, uppers, downers – whatever. When the passersby heard what they wanted to hear they would stop and there would be a brief discussion of price, etc and then the dealer would lead their customer around the corner to a car or an apartment and the deal would be completed.

This activity was well known and very out in the open and it's just not possible that the police and UCB didn't know about it though no attempt was ever made to stop it that I am aware of. Drugs were also sold openly at many rock concerts in those days at very low prices or even given away free in some cases.

In San Francisco, in the Haight-Ashbury district, it was the same thing but even more brazen. Some shops even had crude signs in their windows advertising what drugs could be bought there. There were also coin operated gumball machines along the side walk with drugs instead of gum. Again, with little or no action taken by police. And, it was no secret that this was going on. Tour buses would pass by regularly loaded with gawking tourists eyeballing the “hippies.”

in the united states, cocaine is legally a narcotic...but medically it is not.
From a U.S. legal perspective, narcotics refer to opium, opium derivatives, and their semi-synthetic substitutes.
cocaine and meth are legally considered narcotics, yet neither are narcotics from a medical standpoint.

Most reactions

Back