American PSA about the new Canada.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by zombiesniper, Jun 28, 2018.

1. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

Stay safe out there. lol

2. pgriz

pgriz Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't use the stuff, but it doesn't seem to be that big a deal "up here". Each province (and territories) is having a different approach to the selling of pot. Some are legalizing dispensaries, others are apparently reverting to the alcohol sale model that followed the ending of the prohibition (you tell the clerk what you want, and they'll scurry to a back room to get it for you, complete with brown paper bag). A certain (small) proportion of the population thinks of it as depicted in "Reefer Madness" (the original), while most are looking at it as a curiosity. We'll find out in a few years whether which provincial approach works best (keeping it out of the hands of minors, curtailing the black market, managing the issues of intoxication, etc.). One potential benefit may be the availability of standardized and known content, which in turn may allow more controlled testing and determination how many of the supposed benefits are anecdotal wish-ware, and how real are the supposed deleterious effects. Medical marijuana has been available for a number of years, but we have not had extensive double-blind testing done with controls (that I know of), so it's still hard to get a clear idea of what the reliable effects (and side effects) are.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I see nothing wrong with the pharmaceutical use of cannabis PROVIDED it's properly controlled and dispensed like any other narcotic. As for Mr. Trudeau's "let's just make drugs legal" approach, well... I can only hope that at some point something happens to a member of his family that will demonstrate to him just how wrong he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jeff15

Jeff15 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with tirediron....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup No longer a newbie, moving up!

I see nothing wrong with recreational use.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The primary active substance in marijuana - Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - is NOT a narcotic.
    Narcotics induce sleep, something THC does not do.
    Use the medical definition of the term narcotic, not the scare tactic definitions used by law enforcement.

The Reefer Madness myth & the decades long, costly, failure known as the "War On Drugs" continues.
    FWIW - I stopped smoking pot at age 30 because I was fed up with the unreliability of sellers.
    I see little cause for concern regards recreational use.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 11:34 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Recreational marijuana is legal in Oregon. Medical marijuana has been commonly sold here for well over a decade. Both recreational and medical marijuana in Oregon are sold from dispensaries located in many towns and cities, including one located miles outside any town, just off the shoulder of US Highway 26, in the middle of forest lands on the way to the Oregon coast. Life here seems pretty much as it did before legalization. Legalization will not change the essence of life in Canada. You will not notice any changes, except perhaps the elimination of loads of low-life drug dealers as the suppliers.

8. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    nar·cot·ic
    närˈkädik/
    noun
    1. 1.
      a drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for non-medical purposes, especially an illegal one.

9. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You may have found that definition of narcotic, but it is not correct. The Oxford English Dictionary has : "1. Of substances etc.: having the effect of inducing stupor, sleep, or insensibility.

It is from the Greek verb narkoun which means to benumb. No pharmacist would call THC a narcotic.

10. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Which is exactly what happens to most of the junkies I've see under the influence.

11. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    As a wild child of the 60's my college days might have included a little "experimentation". :allteeth: Personally I never did find it worth the effort. As the owner of a trucking company I really didn't care one way or the other EXCEPT - FMCSA says you can't drive if you test positive on a pre-employment or random screen. Not only that, but if you DO test positive you can not drive again for any company, (your positive test follows you) until you complete a mandatory SAP program at your expense. It doesn't matter if you have a medical reason/prescription or using for pleasure, Marijuana is illegal under federal law, meaning all “safety sensitive” employees who are subject to federally-mandated drug testing are still prohibited from using the drug. This group of employees includes anyone who operates commercial vehicles, including train engineers, pilots and school bus drivers. At some point that may change but for now that's the way it is. Part of it may have to do with the testing, because of the length of time THC stays in the body, there is not currently a satisfactory way of determining last use. Right now an off duty driver can legally drink alcohol up to 4 hrs before going on duty. At some point things may change, but until they do, the states that have legalized marijuana ahead of federal changes, have created a nightmare for those that have to follow the federal regulations.

12. Fujidave

Fujidave They Call me the wanderer Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Many years ago I did voluntary work for Turning Point for people with Drink Drug and Mental Health issues. For me I saw how taking drugs ruined and even lead to death, so as long as it is ONLY used for medical then that`s fine but NOT in anyones life time should it be made legal.

• Like Like x 1